PDA

View Full Version : Just heard a hissing in the garden

AliceK
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
:eek:
I was just in the garden putting some washing out and the dog was out there with me. He was about 3ft away from me sniffing in the beds. He could obviously see something but seeing as he gets excited when he sees spiders, ants, moths anything really, I wasn't taking any notice. Then suddenly I hear quite a loud hissing noise :eek:. I immediately called the dog away and shut him indoors then went back to have a look. I can't see anything but there are rocks etc there and I'm too scared to move them. It's really freaked me out. Not sure what to do now. I'll let the dog back out in a while and watch.

xxx

nikki thomson
03-09-2012, 10:49 AM
You probably have a family of garden snakes living under the rocks, we have a family of snakes living under our patio, there not a problem just leave them alone. X

AliceK
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
You probably have a family of garden snakes living under the rocks, we have a family of snakes living under our patio, there not a problem just leave them alone. X

Will they hurt the dog if he disturbs them?

xx

Pipsqueak
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
**runs away screaming loudly**:eek:

caz3007
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
**runs away screaming loudly**:eek:

Hehehehe and I would wait until hubby was home and then send him out to investigate, whilst the back door was firmly shut :panic::panic:

flashers
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Think I would have passed out lol - Let us all know what you find - Good luck

Roseolivia
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
:eek::eek:

gegele
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Hehehehe and I would wait until hubby was home and then send him out to investigate, whilst the back door was firmly shut :panic::panic:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: classic

did the same to my mum when dd was little and there was a HUGE spider in sand pit...my mum came out i grabbed DD, jumped indoor and closed the door ah ah ah aha :D

AliceK
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Well just got back in from our lunch treat. We are all in the garden now, the section where the dog was is just the dogs area not the play area so I don't have to worry about the children. Haven't told them, my DD for one would freak out. The dog hasn't gone back there yet but I am sat outside watching him. There is no way I am moving any of the rocks to have a look :panic: We don't have dangerous snakes in the UK do we??

xxxx

tamsin
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
We do, but it's fairly unlikely you've got an adder in your garden unless you're in the middle of the countryside. Grass snakes are more common, but not dangerous. Other things hiss though - for example toads puff themselves up and hiss to warn off predators - like big slobbery dogs :)

AliceK
03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
We do, but it's fairly unlikely you've got an adder in your garden unless you're in the middle of the countryside. Grass snakes are more common, but not dangerous. Other things hiss though - for example toads puff themselves up and hiss to warn off predators - like big slobbery dogs :)

Aahh, now toads I can cope with :clapping:

xxx

Monkey1
03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Ssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn!

Monkey1
03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Ooooooopppps I broke the forum again!

Bridey
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Are you sure it wasn't just your dog breaking wind? ;)

wellybelly
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I've just read this and laughed so much!

AliceK
03-09-2012, 06:59 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
03-09-2012, 09:20 PM
eeek! i'd be too scared to look too:panic: sorry that was no help at all was it :blush:

Dragonfly
04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Crikes I've got loads of toads and never heard them hiss:eek: we have seen a couple of Adders round here in the last couple years luckily not in my garden! best it stays that way too.

AliceK
04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Crikes I've got loads of toads and never heard them hiss:eek: we have seen a couple of Adders round here in the last couple years luckily not in my garden! best it stays that way too.

Great, see now you started me off worrying again. Aren't adders dangerous? :eek:
I heard my hamster hiss once. Not long after we had got him, I think we startled him and he opened his mouth and hissed. Quite scary actually.

xxxx