PDA

View Full Version : henry hoover yes or no?

mushpea
01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
so who loves em and who dosent and are they any good for animal hairs and if not which is the vacum to buy with animals,, we have 2 cats and a dog so some serious hair loss!
our hoover has just died and I have been looking at dysons but a bit :eek: by the price, we used to have a henry years ago before animals and my mum loves hers but she has no animals so I dont know what they are like with animal hairs,, I did look at a vax pet hoover but I just dont know which to get, dont want to waste my money on one thats naff

Mouse
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Hate mine!

For some reason I always wanted one, so when our eldest son left home last year I gave him our Dyson & bought a Hetty (pink Henry!). I hated it from the minute I first used it. It doesn't seem to pick up that well, it keeps getting stuck when I pull it round the house, it's a pain to store as the tube doesn't stand upright and it's so much harder to use than an upright hoover.

I'm waiting for it to break so I can go and buy another Dyson :p

cs01
01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Like Mouse, I got rid of my upright dyson and bought hetty, based on other peoples opinions saying how fab a cleaner it was. I'm not sure I like it. It's great on my wooden floors but hard work on carpets. I'm forever having to clear threads and hair off the head and the room always smells a bit funny after I have hoovered!

On the plus side, its quite cheap compared to other vacuum cleaners.

Mouse
01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Like Mouse, I got rid of my upright dyson and bought hetty, based on other peoples opinions saying how fab a cleaner it was. I'm not sure I like it. It's great on my wooden floors but hard work on carpets. I'm forever having to clear threads and hair off the head and the room always smells a bit funny after I have hoovered!On the plus side, its quite cheap compared to other vacuum cleaners.

I found that, so bought some air freshener things that you put in the hoover bag. It makes a real difference & the room actually smells nice after hoovering :D

mushpea
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I found that, so bought some air freshener things that you put in the hoover bag. It makes a real difference & the room actually smells nice after hoovering :D

ah mine smells funny too so what are they called and where did you buy them?

Mouse
01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
ah mine smells funny too so what are they called and where did you buy them?

I got them from Home Bargains, but they were an airfreshener brand (something like Glade), so I bet you could buy them in supermarkets etc. I'm not sure what they're called, but you find them by the Shake N Vac!

mushpea
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh I used to love shake and vac til we realized my son was allergic too it, he used to sneeze for england and his excema flared up over it,,

PixiePetal
01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I could never have a Henry as my DS used to freak out at other peoples Henrys because of the face - he didn't like anything non human to have features :rolleyes:

He is now 15 so we are over that :laughing: but I have a Dyson and love it

Rubybubbles
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
My hubby used to work on a Hoover store on the market when young lol! He said a Henry was the best so we had one when first got married tbh I found it hard work on the carpet when we got pets and soon replaced with a dyson and I nearly died when I saw how much dirt and dust came up on my freshly Henry Hoover (had to try lol) my dyson died and I got the dyson ball which is still going strong and highly recommend it heehee! So much so fluffy socks on here tried it and ended up getting one too heehee

amanda1309
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I love my Henry Hoover

I didn't like it at first but I bought a different floor tool that has rollers and works much better on the floors

rachelle
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I love our Henry - we don't use a bag in him these days - he's fine!
We have a roomba though that does the floors whllst I'm on school run / playgroups etc and then Henry just finishes off once a week round the edges.

zippy
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
You need to look at Henry hound if you have pets, it has a turbo brush on

cathtee
01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Sorry Dyson for me, can't work with a cylinder vac it's too much like hard work, upright is better for me and the stairs:thumbsup:

gegele
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
i have a henry it has a BOOST button so the suction is harder when you put it on. it seems to work fine.
i had to buy smellies to put in as it does smell when you use it.

no pets here, well a tortoise so no hair problem:D
but seem to do ok with mine and dd's hair everywhere:D

:blush:but if i had a money i would go for a dyson, not upright as i hate them but dyson ....there's just so expensive!!

JulieA
02-09-2012, 07:35 AM
I have to say I prefer the Henry. I have had two dysons in the past and everytime I used them I had to take them apart to clear the hair from around the rollers and through the tube. Eventually got so bad it wouldn't even suck dust!

My Henry does have to have the hair removed from the brushes, but at least I don't need a toolkit to do it.

I have wooden floors all through the downstairs and carpet upstairs, but he deals with the hair from the girls without any problem. He does have a boost button too.

The Juggler
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
i loved my old henry - purchased in 2002. we live in a victorian terrace and I could plug in in the kitchen and hoover the whole house without unplugging (including the upstairs).

Bought a new one this year - the pink one -I hate it. The cord is shorter so I have to unplug it and i hate the suction - it's completely different. either doesn't hoover well enough or on strong suction I can barely push it.

My friend just bought a dyson ball compact and I want one :p

VeggieSausage
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
as someone else posted I was going to say that apparently Henry's are better with the bag removed....

singingcactus
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I like my henry vacuum. I have a turbo head on it which collects all my siberian forest cats long white fur off my black rugs and sofas. I don't find it hard to push, I don't know about a funny smell, I have always put air freshener discs into my vacuum cleaners.
I like a cylinder for cleaning out the snakes and gerbils habitat.
I like that you can replace the parts of the henry range if a piece of it breaks, whereas with other vacuums if a piece breaks you need to replace the entire thing.
I like that they are very lightweight too.
Best of all I love that all my 2 year olds wave and shout 'bye bye Henry' when he goes back into his cupboard. They also like to help wind up the flex, and the tubes can be shortened if I am lucky enough to have a child want to do the vacuuming for me :clapping:

They are a bit of a pain for storage compared to an upright, but that is a cylinder problem. And they probably are a bit more of a pain for pushing around than an upright.

Jods
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Double posting x

Jods
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Hate them x

I have a Dyson Animal, fantatsic still does the job and now about 10 years old (got it as a wedding present) x

I like the fact I can wash alll the parts out, and with 2 dogs and 5 cats!! it can get a bit fluffy x

tulip0803
02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I love my Henry - I have 3 cats, a dog and 2 long haired daughters:laughing: Picks up all the hair. I put air freshner in too but I have done that with all my hoovers or shake and vac stuff. He has the boost button.

Always wanted a Dyson til I got one - hated it couldn't wait for it to die so I could replace it.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Love it and won't buy any other when my first stops working. I went through Dysons like water and even tried an Electrolux and Vax and they were worse

There are different models of Henty and they do different things. I love mine which is blue and does really well with hair and dogs hair. Switches from floors to carpet and back with a flick of a switch

samb
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I have a Henry that I was given second hand - it was about 6 years old when I inherited it and that was 9 years ago! I have chinchillas so their fur is not the same so cannot comment too much on the hair factor. I personally am not a big Henry fan. It seems like it takes a lot more effort to use than an upright Dyson. It is heavy to pull around and like others say it has a smell afterwards that does not match with the nice clean carpet you have just got! The suction on it seems good though. Like others the storage is not easy. I actually have to take the hose off and store it separately which is a pain. I had a Dyson for 10 years and in that time I had to replace the hose once when it split and then the motor blew about a month ago. Usually the Henry is used when we are decorating or to hoover the car etc and now I am using it as my main hoover. I am looking at getting another upright. I personally would be happy going for a cheaper model but oh is a gadget man and so he wants a Dyson - well I'm not going to complain cos I do prefer them too!

little chickee
02-09-2012, 09:31 PM
I am actually a bit obsessed with hoovers!
I had a dyson which was quite good then it died.

I decided i wanted a cylinder hoover so spent ages deciding and got one.
Hated it - useless on the dog hair and my long hair which i seem to shed at an alarming rate! and pretty much everything else.

Just bought a Bissell turbo pet - £75 from Tesco and i love it. Quite a small dust container but i like to empty it just about every time o hoover so i can ooh and ahh over how much its picked up.

Just need the matching Bissell carpet shampooer and i'll be tricket!!

mr man
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Henry here, love it. :D best out of any I've had. Xd