PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Cover

lorettacritchet
30-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I have another item to improve on as part of my self development. I need to arrange emergency care for other children in my care should I be unable to care for them.

Question is, say for example I arrange emergency care with a childminder who might be up to her numbers on a particular day I need that care, what would happen? How does it work? WOuld Ofsted say because it's an emergency that is ok to go over the numbers? I suppose with the revised EYFS this would be another RA to do :panic:

EmmaReed84
31-08-2012, 05:33 AM
I am an emergency CM for 4 other minders. There was one day I needed to cover for an EY child which put me to 4 EY children and 2 5-8 so I was still within my 6 under 8's. I called Ofsted on the Morning of and was put through to someone else and given the one off variation. I then get a new cert in the post 4 days later stating that on X may care for x children lol.

Not sure how it will work now though with the new variation thing. I imagine as long as it has been documented, RA'd, and the numbers do not exceed 6 under 8 then it would be ok.

Do you know any other CM's?

lorettacritchet
31-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah but all the CM@s I know are always full capacity. Surely an emergency states it is unplanned and could be allowed at those times?

I am an emergency CM for 4 other minders. There was one day I needed to cover for an EY child which put me to 4 EY children and 2 5-8 so I was still within my 6 under 8's. I called Ofsted on the Morning of and was put through to someone else and given the one off variation. I then get a new cert in the post 4 days later stating that on X may care for x children lol.

Not sure how it will work now though with the new variation thing. I imagine as long as it has been documented, RA'd, and the numbers do not exceed 6 under 8 then it would be ok.

Do you know any other CM's?

sarah707
31-08-2012, 07:12 AM
In an emergency it is ok to go over numbers for the shortest possible time while you call parents to collect the children.

It's best really if you can get a few emergency contacts so you can find someone who is in and able to help you.

Do you have a significant other who would come home? It doesn't have to be a childminder.

hth :D

loocyloo
31-08-2012, 07:37 AM
none of my emergency contacts are childminders! ( there is only one other in my town! )

i have DH who works locally, and as he is sometimes out for meetings, one of the girls in the office, who babysits for us, is also an emergency contact.

then i have a couple of friends/local mums.

but, calling DHs office would be my first call ... as there is ALWAYS someone there, and they would all come & help if need be. :D

Bluebell
31-08-2012, 07:50 PM
hmm - I've just adjusted my emergency contacts because I realised that the people I had - were not immediately close - or were not neccessarily available so I put in an extreme emergency the children would be with a family member, friend, neighbour, another parent or member of the emergency services until a parent could arrive. If I chop my arm off I just want the children to be safe while I 'm passing out. Is it wrong that I'm not naming someone specific?

miffy
31-08-2012, 09:34 PM
hmm - I've just adjusted my emergency contacts because I realised that the people I had - were not immediately close - or were not neccessarily available so I put in an extreme emergency the children would be with a family member, friend, neighbour, another parent or member of the emergency services until a parent could arrive. If I chop my arm off I just want the children to be safe while I 'm passing out. Is it wrong that I'm not naming someone specific?

The thing is - if you have passed out how does anyone else know who to call if you haven't named anyone as the emergency contact?

Miffy xx

LittleLadybirds
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a list of 6 people that I will try first (inc 2 other childminders). Then I have something that says something like if none of the above people are available then it may be necessary to leave the children in the care of another adult.
Emergency cover is only supposed to be used for something like unexpected and sudden illness, or an accident. Me and the other 2 childminders don't keep a place open for each other; if we are full on a certain day, then we are full.