PDA

View Full Version : Starting from the beginning

Twinkle star
29-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Could you explain to me please the courses i have to take to become a childminder, are there any i can do online and what is the first step?
I am very confused :panic:

rickysmiths
29-08-2012, 11:05 AM
From the 1/9/12 you have to complete the following before Ofsted will register you.

CYPOP5 which is one Unit of the Level 3 Diploma Children and Young People's Workforce. The idea is that you complete the full Diploma within 3 years of registration. May be provided locally but can be done online for example through NCMA http://www.*************/training/essential_training/training_in_england.aspx

at a cost of £180

This is a good book : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Workforce-Learning-Childcare-Candidate/dp/0435031333/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346237940&sr=1-1

A 12 hour First Aid Course approved by Ofsted typically costs £50-100

Child Protection Training usually 2-3 hours and provided by your Local Early Years may be free may cost up to £30

Depending on where you live you may also have to do a Food Hygiene Course these can be done on line and cost approx £30

It would be worth contacting your local Early Years Team to find out what is provided locally and if there are any start up grants or if this training is offered free. If you don't know who to contact ring your local Family Information Service (FIS) and they should be able to tell you who to contact.

Twinkle star
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you so much for the info. I have my pre reg meeting on wednesday :)
Nervous though :idea:

Nickie34
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Are you doing the pre-reg through your local council? I got funding for my CYPOP 5, did my First Aid through Switch Training - it was £12 as I'd done my pre-reg. not sure about safeguarding yet as tasks have to be in by Friday

If you want any help, pls get in touch

Nx

LauraS
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
You might find that your LA offers the CYPOP as a college based course - mine did, subsidised at £40. It was also exam based rather than assignment based, 6 sessions at the local college with just a 30 question multiple choice exam at the end, which I completed in 15 minutes. To be frank you could have passed the exam without attending the course.

I know attending college isn't always convenient but neither is having to plug away at assignments :o

Nickie34
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
You might find that your LA offers the CYPOP as a college based course - mine did, subsidised at £40. It was also exam based rather than assignment based, 6 sessions at the local college with just a 30 question multiple choice exam at the end, which I completed in 15 minutes. To be frank you could have passed the exam without attending the course.

I know attending college isn't always convenient but neither is having to plug away at assignments :o

How long ago was that Laura?

Twinkle star
04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Thank you, yes I was given the number for the local council and when i rang a lady told me to go to a pre reg meeting which is on wednesday. If i can do courses online I'd much rather go down that route and leave the ones that have to be done in college to a minimum.

I'm only looking at taking 1 child on when i register, just to get me started and learn routines etc and paper work which i have read lots about on here. Not sure yet what thats for but I'm sure I will learn it.

I have 3 children, 6 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old so i guess i could follow a similar routine to what my 2 year old does with snacks, play etc

How many times a week do you go on outings? I won't be able to go to the zoo etc because I can't drive so it will be local parks in between school times as i will need to drop off and pick up my 2 boys