PDA

View Full Version : Going digital on learning journeys - what do I need to know?

littleblue
28-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I have decided to start doing the learning journeys on a word doc so I can email it to the parents each month. I read that I need to register with someone if I am keeping childrens info on a computer but not sure who it is I need to register with. Does anyone know? Also is there anything else I need to do if having info on the computer? Thanks for any advice! x

Boris
28-08-2012, 03:21 PM
You need to register with ICO. It's £35 per year. x

jumpinjen
28-08-2012, 04:10 PM
And it might be an idea to add it in to a policy somewhere under use of computers/safeguarding/data protection etc how you will keep this information safe from other users of your computer etc, Jen x

littleblue
28-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Wow, that's expensive! Do I have to do it even if its just photos and not written info? Do Ofsted check?

sarah707
28-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow, that's expensive! Do I have to do it even if its just photos and not written info? Do Ofsted check?

It's not a requirement of the EYFS / Childcare Register so Ofsted don't ask for it ... yet.

however, it is a requirement for childminders to be registered if you use any digital media - photos, computers, videos etc.

Hth :D

danielleM41
29-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi littleblue,

I also used to do learning journeys as a word doc, but have just started using Orbit Early Years software, which now does them for you (you do all your assessments and can add photos and notes and then literally press a button and it makes a learning journey for you which you can then save or print or email - it will save so much time) All the child's information you enter is stored securely by the company so nothing is held on your computer. I was a bit worried about that and did contact them about the ICO and they are registered. My local school is using it for nursery and reception kids so it must tick all the boxes.

moljak
03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I've just looked into registering with ICO and got through the process and chose the "unclassified" option. Is that right? and am I ok just to go along with the suggestions they come up with or should i be tailoring it? if yes then how and what do I do. Looked confusing to me.

sarah707
03-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I've just looked into registering with ICO and got through the process and chose the "unclassified" option. Is that right? and am I ok just to go along with the suggestions they come up with or should i be tailoring it? if yes then how and what do I do. Looked confusing to me.

I rang them - I couldn't make sense of the website :laughing: :D