PDA

View Full Version : mobile phones, cameras and children

a_bugs_wife
26-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I have spent hours reading through various posts about updating policies with regard to use of mobile phones and cameras.

I have 2 issues that I need some help to resolve.
Firstly, someone mentioned about password protected files or folders. How can I do this? I have googled it and the answer seems to be that Windows does not have this facility. My laptop is password protected and other users of laptop cannot access my files so is this enough??

Secondly, my mindee and my son are both 3yrs old. I have known my mindee since she was born and am friends with her mum. I became a registered childminder in 2011 in order to care for her while her mum went back to work. I am very lucky that we have always been able to separte business from friendship. The issue I have is that I don't want to delete all the photos of my mindee from my phone as a vast majority of these include my son as well and its nice to look back at things we have done (as any mum would!). Please can anyone advise on what is best for me to do?

Many thanks from a stressed out CM!!

tamsin
26-08-2012, 05:49 PM
If you password protect your computer or user account, and no one else has access I would count that as appropriate security. You'd only need to password protect individual files if you were sharing the computer and each user didn't have separate logins that restricted access to the files.

If you use the computer to access the internet I would also add anti-virus/fire wall software to the list.

Do remember though, that your phone would also need appropriate security to prevent access to the files - again password protected - or just transfer the files to your secured computer.

In regards photos, that's the data protection act, so you might want to read through the principles. I think the main ones that would apply are that the photos should only be used for the purpose(s) they were obtained and not kept longer than necessary for that purpose. So if your only purpose was to keep parents informed about what a child did that day - once you no longer needed them for that you'd delete them.

There are other purposes you might keep photos though, for example, they have your children in, for use in advertising materials, as a record of your work, to put on display, to show prospective parents the activities you do etc. as long as that's explained in your policies and parents have given permission.

The key things are let parents know you take photos and what you use them for, get their permission, store them securely, don't use them for any purpose you haven't said you will, and delete any you no longer need for those purposes you listed.

Sorry, this got a bit long :)

bunyip
26-08-2012, 05:54 PM
If you're mobile operates Bluetooth, then deactivate the Bluetooth function when you aren't using it. If you leave it on, then you are passively transmitting all the stored data on an insecure radio frequency.

:thumbsup:

a_bugs_wife
26-08-2012, 07:16 PM
tasmin thank you so much! That's really helped clear things up in my mind. I appreciate you taking the time to compose your reply.

bunyip I rarely have my bluetooth on as it zaps the battery life! But thanks for tip I'll bear that in mind.

Enjoy whats left of your bank holiday weekend! :laughing: