PDA

View Full Version : Expenses confusion

Newsuz
26-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi all, I have a few things I would like done to the house and wondering if they can be classed as expenses or not they are:

Hallway Redecorated
New hallway carpet
Decking for garden
New kitchen floor

Can these be claimed as expenses as they need replacing or updating due to minding wear and tear?

Thanks for advice :)

Kiddleywinks
26-08-2012, 11:00 AM
It's my understanding that the amount we deduct from our income for wear and tear should be used for the things you described, ie repainting, repairing, and replacing, so we can't then claim for stuff again when we get round to doing it iygwim.

rickysmiths
26-08-2012, 01:42 PM
You take 10% off your Gross income and add it to your expenses. This 10% is to cover wear and tear so items you have listed. After all you would normally be replacing flooring and redecorating your home even if you were not childminding.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Decking for garden - is this new and is it for children purposes only?

Newsuz
27-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes it would be new and for cming.
I haven't been taking 10% off :blush:

bunyip
27-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes it would be new and for cming.
I haven't been taking 10% off :blush:

If the decking is for CMing (tax-wise), that really means it is only used for CMing. ie. When the lo's are there, plus times you need to clean and maintain it. Are you really going to stay off it at all other times? I just think you'll have a job convincing HMRC.

As Rickysmiths say, you should be deducting 10% of gross income before tax, and that covers wear and tear. It doesn't sound like much, but it's far easier than the more usual HMRC rule which is that you have to prove that every purchase/expense is "wholly, exclusively and necessary" for the business.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I think there is some confusion here about wear and tear

Wear and tear covers furnishings - carpets/sofas/tables etc... not for garden replacement (this is how it was explained to me)

A tax inspector in May told me that if you replace "like for like" as it is dangerous etc then you can claim the business percentage of the cost. If however you are doing it wholly for childminding then you can claim it all. i.e. a picket fence was put up to keep children in an area and if the childminder wasn't a childminder the fence would not have been purchased and so the whole amount was allowable. If you say that the decking was 100% and the HMRC said no you would be liable for back payment of taxes due that you claimed for and possibly a penalty.

Be realistic about your percentages and be able to justify them and you will be fine.