PDA

View Full Version : how long and how much does it cost from start to finish

susi
25-08-2012, 11:34 AM
hi

im moving back to the UK on the 10th Sept to set up as a childminder.

I have nothing started at all (not sure if i can start anything yet as i wont have an address until i get back).

I only have a certain amount of money to set up with and to get started so need to get working asap. I understand the need to registered etc.

How much does it cost to get set up please?

How long does it honestly take to get registered?

Im looking to go to Lincolnshire

Lincolnshire say they do a basic set up grant, i dont know any more than that, can anyone advise on what its for and how much it normally is please?

Sorry sooo many questions but i really want as much info before i start the process

thank you

susi:)

sarah707
25-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Crikey that's like asking the length of a piece of string :laughing:

Registration course - up to 3 months - cost depends on where you live

CRB checks - a few months - Ofsted pay

Doctor's check - as long as they take - some are £100 / some cheaper

Toys, resources, equipment etc - cheaper at car boot sales

Ofsted visit - when your course is finished after application has gone through - about a month

Insurance for minding between £44 and £70 depending on which company you choose - extra mortgage cost and house / car insurance sometimes

Hth :D

jumpinjen
25-08-2012, 05:44 PM
And Ofsted registration at £36 - freegle/freecycle might have toys and resources too - Jen x

AliceK
25-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I think mine took 7mths from start through to getting my certificate.
We don't get any grants here :(

xxxx

christine e
25-08-2012, 06:40 PM
From Sept my local authority are no longer funding the initial training for childminders and are advising that to set up will cost in the region of £400, this is made up of ofsted fee, first aid, doctor's fee and the training

Christine

susi
27-08-2012, 12:14 PM
thank you, so if i set aside £500 for training I should be roughly there. I have a rather tight budget to stick to so need to know as much as possible before.

Thank you again

susi :)

rickysmiths
27-08-2012, 01:38 PM
thank you, so if i set aside £500 for training I should be roughly there. I have a rather tight budget to stick to so need to know as much as possible before.

Thank you again

susi :)

You may find this link helpful:

http://www.*************/training.aspx

You will have to complete a course called CYPOP 5 it costs £190 with NCMA

Medical up to £100

Ped First Aid Course £50-100

Child Protection Training £10-30

Insurance approx £50-60pa

Ofsted not sure for 1st registration but at least £35pa

Registration with Information Commissioner's Office for Data Protection £35pa

Buying Contracts, Accident Medication/Incident Folder, Child Info Forms, Attendance register, Accounts Book, Receipts Min £60

Materials to make Learning Journals and Development Records and create personal files, Permission Forms, Polices etc with paper and printing costs I would allow £2-3 per child at least

Buggies £100 min

Travel Cots one plus bedding £30 min

Towels, bibs, drinking cups, plates bowls, cutlery £30min

Stair gates and any other door stops safety equip incl smoke and carbon monoxide detectors etc £100-150

First Aid Kits one for indoors and a travel one £30-40

Changing Mat, gloves, wipes, nappy bags, nappy cream £20

Plus any toys, puzzles, small world, dressing up, kitchen, plates etc, play food, construction toys, dolls, buggy, cot, sand table, water table, rockers and ride ons, small climbing cube, etc plus some means to store them. ?????

I hate to be pessimistic but I think you will find it difficult to set up for less than £1000 and that would be cutting new resources to the bone.

It could take a min of three months but more realistically, as you will have to do your CYPOP and First Aid before you can register it could take 6-12 mths before you are Registered. You then need to factor in the time it may take you to get children on your books, you may need to spend a bit on advertising. You may be lucky and fill your vacancies in weeks but you may find it will take you many months to fill all your vacancies.