PDA

View Full Version : Spider season

jelly15
22-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Seen loads of posts on other forums about sider season starting early this year and they seem to be biggger than ever. I hate, hate, HATE them. I have been looking into spraying Deathlac around the windows, doors and skirting boards. Does anyone know if it works and does it attract them so that it can kill them ISWIM. I haven't hate any come in yet and I don't want to encourage them.

Also if spider season has began early will it end sooner?

sonyach
22-08-2012, 07:26 AM
I hate spiders to!! I was once told to put conkers in every corner of every room as they dont like the smell and it did seem to work but dont know if they are ready yet! Just talking about them sends a shiver down my spine.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 07:28 AM
we were camping at the weekend and there were money spiders EVERYWHERE!

i can cope with those, but nothing else! :panic:

i used to have loads of conkers lying around at my old house as that was meant to deter them, and i didn't seem to have that many... but since moving 18mths ago, i can't find enough conker trees, for the children to collect enough for me to have them everywhere!

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I hate spiders to!! I was once told to put conkers in every corner of every room as they dont like the smell and it did seem to work but dont know if they are ready yet! Just talking about them sends a shiver down my spine.

great minds think alike :D

kindredspirits
22-08-2012, 07:29 AM
bleugh!! I think you can get something that you spray that repells them so i would guess if its a repellent then it wouldn't attract them, iykwim.
we have got tonnes of flies around our new house but thankfully i've seen very few spiders - hope it stays like that tbh - i sleep in the loft - my head is inches from the ceiling!! :panic::panic:

JCrakers
22-08-2012, 07:33 AM
I was talking to a friend the other day, she lives in an old house near a canal. She gets loads of spiders and insects. Especially flies and moths at night if she has her light on and window open...eugh

She said she had a spider upstairs that she tried to Hoover up and it was soooo big and strong it was fighting against the Hoover :laughing:

Another friend mentioned on Facebook (she lives near a canal too) ((note to self...don't move into a house near the canal))
Anyway he got bitten when he picked one up :eek:

I'm ok with house spiders as long as they don't come near me but what I hate are the hanging webbed ones in the garden. We have one outside the front window at the moment...it's massive. I can see it all the time I'm trying to watch tv..makes my blood run cold.
I hate this time of year and I won't go out in the garden to hang washing etc. if I do have to go out, I spend 10mins checking first. I've got a real bad phobia but it only lasts from now until beginning of October and then it gets too cold for them

JulieA
22-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes lots of flies and spiders around at the moment.

Conkers do work - we save the little net bags in the washing powder and pop a couple of conkers into each bag. Then we hang a bag in the window of each room. Some little spiders do seem to make it past but we don't have a huge problem in the house considering the size of the beggers in the attached garage!

I was reading that lavender also works so maybe some sachets dotted about - will make the room smell nice too!

bunyip
22-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I like spiders.

They catch the flies that carry diseases. :clapping:

AliceK
22-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't mind spiders, everyone in the house is scared of them so I'm the one that catches them and puts them outside. DS (8) came down last night in his dressing gown and was talking to OH. All of a sudden OH grabs DS's head, holds it in one direction and motions at me to look at something with a worried look on his face. I'm looking blankly at OH thinking what's the matter. I go over to them and there on DS's shoulder is the biggest spider I've seen in a long time, huge!!!! So I grab a cloth, grab the spider off DS in the cloth and go out into the garden where I then call DS who at this point in time has no idea what's happened. I tell him to look and I shake the cloth to release the spider and then tell him that was on your arm. Oh my, I can't even imagine the reaction of DS if he had known that was on him :panic:

xxxx

Maza
22-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Spiders everywhere here too, I was going to start a thread so I'm glad I saw this one. Found a huge one the other night and even though hubby 'got rid of it' I just couldn't sleep. I hate pulling out furniture or boxes incase one comes running out. I like the idea of conkers in little net bags that another poster mentioned because little mindee would just put conkers in his mouth if they were out.

blue bear
22-08-2012, 10:26 AM
we get loads of spiders, they eat the flies so i dont mind them. I teach all the children to love them too, parents physically shudder at the sight of their lo drooling over spiders "oh aren't you beautiful":)

Roseolivia
22-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I hate spiders, i have a spider catcher which is great but doesn't catch the big ones. We had one visit last week and it was that big dp wouldn't catch it, we had to get a big bowl and scoop it up and throw it out the front door. I hate spider season:(

bunyip
22-08-2012, 10:51 AM
You'll not be wanting to visit the USA then....

.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9745000/9745361.stm

:)

FussyElmo
22-08-2012, 10:53 AM
We had hundreds of conkers last year still got spiders:D

Poor spiders we build our houses on theirs and then we want to kill them. Must remind myself of this next time Im shreeking because I have seen one :laughing::laughing:

jelly15
22-08-2012, 11:40 AM
You'll not be wanting to visit the USA then....

.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9745000/9745361.stm

:)

I am not going on this link, there is bound to be a picture of a huge one :(. I have managed to bring up my DSs to not be afraid and encourage LO's to study them while I stand several feet away acting nonchalantly. Then when they have gone home get DH and DSs serching to find where the flaming spider has hidden.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I am not going on this link, there is bound to be a picture of a huge one :(. I have managed to bring up my DSs to not be afraid and encourage LO's to study them while I stand several feet away acting nonchalantly. Then when they have gone home get DH and DSs serching to find where the flaming spider has hidden.

i couldn't bring myself to even touch the link!

i'm always saying 'wow, look at the pretty/huge/big spider, building a web, catching flies etc, look at the colours/patterns, aren't they clever' whilst keeping as far away as possible :thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-08-2012, 01:00 PM
OMG the ones running across my living room each night are huge! :panic:

migimoo
22-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Oddly since we've had our dog we hardly ever see them.
I pondered to my DH that maybe they didn't like her scent..."nah-i've seen her, she eats them!"....bleurgh:ohdear:

clareelizabeth1
22-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Walnut oil painted around door ways and windows is ment to work. I sleep with my window open and I don't get to many.

I do have four dogs who like to eat spiders to. I have even called them to get rid of them for me before. When I had a duck living in my frount room it used to eat spiders too

jelly15
22-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Walnut oil painted around door ways and windows is ment to work. I sleep with my window open and I don't get to many.

I do have four dogs who like to eat spiders to. I have even called them to get rid of them for me before. When I had a duck living in my frount room it used to eat spiders too

Tell me more about the duck and I might get one myself:D

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 04:56 PM
actually, my cat eats spiders too!

Carol M
22-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I live by a canal :panic:
Spiders here come in large, huge and humongous. So do the daddy long legs, frogs and mice!!
I don't particularly like spiders but the large ones I really don't like.
They are often in the house causing shrieks from me and dd's. Dh has to come to the rescue :blush:
They say that if spiders were bigger than us they would rule the world, they may even do better than the lot we have in power now!
Carol xx

jelly15
22-08-2012, 05:51 PM
actually, my cat eats spiders too!

Wish mine would, she is so lazy, she just eats, sleeps and takes a turn around the garden twice a day.

mushpea
22-08-2012, 07:07 PM
this is the spider we found on the allotment last night, its as big as a 2yrolds hand! I dont mind the spiders but I hate their cobwebs and detest daddy long legs.

Boris
22-08-2012, 08:03 PM
this is the spider we found on the allotment last night, its as big as a 2yrolds hand! I dont mind the spiders but I hate their cobwebs and detest daddy long legs.

No way! That must be poisonous or something! I've never seen one like that before.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 08:17 PM

YUK!

i'm sure there is a website you can use to ID spiders! only there is no way i am even going to attempt to find it! :laughing:

migimoo
23-08-2012, 07:58 AM

It's called a wasp spider-does bite but not poisonous.....oh and the females eat the males after mating:eek:

mushpea
23-08-2012, 08:28 AM
It's called a wasp spider-does bite but not poisonous.....oh and the females eat the males after mating:eek:

EEEWWWW I do hope I'm not there when that happens!! I was reading last night and apparently they are becoming more and more as our climate warms up.