PDA

View Full Version : Variations - confused about this situation

carlys
21-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Hiya i am new so please be kind to me :thumbsup:

I have someone that has just signed with me - 20 months, 8-12, mon - fri. I also have my own son who is nearly 13 months.

My issue is that i have someone that has been keen to sign for a while, but unfortunately isnt living in the area yet and they told me he cant come and have a look round and meet us until the middle of September when they have moved house. He has been really struggling to find childcare. He has 2 children aged 5 months and 2 years and wanted care 7.30 - 6.30 including overnight care (he is a single parent). He has apparently been in touch with over 40 childminders and cant find anyone else that is able to offer that for his children, never mind finding someone he is happy with. he wont consider a nursery.

My question is would i be able to take them on? i feel it is an exceptional circumstance, but it is new business not continuity of care, but i would be doing it to keep the siblings together?? otherwise i would take the one sibling and the other sibling would have to go with somebody else (this is what he has told me).

help????

Daftbat
21-08-2012, 12:14 PM
My understanding is that the new variation procedure is not intended to be used for new business. Bascially its the same as before except that we do the RA and keep it on file ourselves to justify our position.

Sorry - its the hard part of the job not being able to help everyone!

bunyip
21-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Hiya i am new so please be kind to me :thumbsup:

I have someone that has just signed with me - 20 months, 8-12, mon - fri. I also have my own son who is nearly 13 months.

My issue is that i have someone that has been keen to sign for a while, but unfortunately isnt living in the area yet and they told me he cant come and have a look round and meet us until the middle of September when they have moved house. He has been really struggling to find childcare. He has 2 children aged 5 months and 2 years and wanted care 7.30 - 6.30 including overnight care (he is a single parent). He has apparently been in touch with over 40 childminders and cant find anyone else that is able to offer that for his children, never mind finding someone he is happy with. he wont consider a nursery.

My question is would i be able to take them on? i feel it is an exceptional circumstance, but it is new business not continuity of care, but i would be doing it to keep the siblings together?? otherwise i would take the one sibling and the other sibling would have to go with somebody else (this is what he has told me).

help????

Hi Carlys. :waving:

I'm a little unsure what to advise, as I can't figure the timings you've mentioned. I can't distinguish am from pm, especially as you mention overnight care.

The first thing is to ensure you're registered for overnight care, if that's what you've been asked to do.

Next, I'd say, go to the Ofsted website and get hold of their guidance document: The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for. It does provide a degree of clarification, although it calls for very careful reading.

I agree with what Daftbat said. I think the only 'new business' it would possibly allow for is if a CM was to take on twin babies, if I've read it correctly.

Ofsted are stressing the new variation system is based on the overarching principle of 'exceptional' circumstances. Their application of this seems to relate to offering siblings very short, unexpected periods of emergency-type care, such as a parent going into hospital or having a temporary change of their working hours.

carlys
21-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you for your replies :) The time the parent wants is 7.30 am to 6.30 pm and the occasional overnight care.

I have read the ofsted numbers fact sheet, but i think you can interpret it so many different ways and the more i google it, the more people are 'translating' it differently :eek:

The reason i thought it might be allowed is because i read this on the NCMA "Exceptions to these ratios can be made for siblings and to provide continuity of care in certain circumstances, provided that the total number of children under the age of 8 being cared for does not exceed six"

link: http://www.*************/childminders/become_a_childminder/childminding_ratios/ratios_in_england.aspx

I have read a few cases of 'new business' ofsted have apparently said yes to that i dont think is as 'exceptional' as this :huh:

bunyip
21-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I put this on a similar thread earlier, hope it helps.

AFAIK, the key questions to ask yourself are:

Can I meet the space requirements? (EYFS Statutory Framework 3.56)
Can I do this without lowering the standard of care, safety, learning and development opportunities I give to each child? (3.29)
Do I have all the necessary equipment?
Have I risk assessed it satisfactorily?
Is it an exceptional case? i.e. it's for a short-term emergency situation and it's not going to become the norm(3.29)
Is the new child the sibling of another child for whom I already provide care? i.e. for 'continuity of care' and not for 'new business' (3.40)

You need to be able to answer "yes" to all those questions.

It doesn't help that Ofsted are refusing to be specific about what they regard as 'exceptional' or how long an 'exceptional' situation may continue before it ceases to be 'exceptional'.

Personally, I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution.

The current situation is that a CM needs to apply for a variation. It's a bit of a pain, but it does mean that Ofsted say "yes" or "no", so it actually prevents us from accidentally breaching the terms of our registration.

From September we effectively grant ourselves the variation so long as it's in accordance with the rules. But if we do so mistakenly, or through a different interpretation of the rules, what are the consequences? The first we'll know is when an inspector picks it up from our attendance records, and informs us that weve been in breach of our registration. And the inspector may well interpret the rules more strictly than a lot of what's been said. I've no idea what the consequences could be. :(

blue bear
21-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I k ow two childminders that have been granted a variation for new business as parent could not find any alternative care, both childminders got the development worker to write to whom ist may concern to confirm there was no other alternative and included this letter with variation request.
Surely this would be the same I. Your situation, may write/email ofsted to clarify.

bunyip
21-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Me again, sorry. :doh:

Having re-read your OP, I understand you already have 2 EY children and would be looking to take on 2 more together. I don't think Ofsted would accept this as 'continuity of care' and you really need the 'continuity of care' to apply before you can make a case for 'exceptional' circumstances.

I think it only applies where you're already caring for one sibling and need to add another, temporarily, that would take you above 3EY children. Alternatively, if you were caring for both siblings already, but still within your normal number, and the dad's hours changed for a little while so you had a bit of a crossover time with your other 2 children.

Since the oldest child in your care would be 2yo (and assuming nobody gives notice) you'd be operating with 4 EY children for another 2-3 years. I don't think Ofsted would regard that as an 'exceptional' situation. Their literature suggests it's intended for very short-term arrangements.

The other thing that might concern Ofsted would be if you were doing overnight care before or after a full day's minding.

Believe me, I share your frustration. I have space for 1 EY child, but I've had a string of 3 mums all wanting care for 2 EY siblings which would put me over my numbers. :( That said, I had 3 EY children for 2 afternoons each week last term, and found that was the most I really felt comfortable with.:o