PDA

View Full Version : What Questions????

Kalila
13-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Can I ask what questions Ofsted ask you when you are looking after the children during your inspection?

Thanks

miffy
13-06-2008, 04:54 PM
That's impossible to answer as they can ask you anything

Some things are more popular with them like Child protection and they often pick up on things they have seen you do or heard you say or when looking through your paperwork and question you about those.

Have a look through this section there are lots of hints and tips about inspections

miffy xx

clairemiranda
13-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I had my inspection on Tuesday. I look after 4-8 yr olds before and after school, so she arrived at 3.15pm, set up her laptop at the kitchen table and started off by asking me who lived in the house, thier ages etc. I gave a list of mindees and a timetable of who came when. Then I called the kids to wash their hands ready for snacks and she followed them into the bathroom and watched them, asking them how they knew who's towel was who's etc. Then sat with them while they ate, asking them all about school.

Generally speaking she observed while I did my normal stuff (sorting out kids, washing up lunch boxes, doing craft stuff, making dinner) and I gave her all my paperwork - contracts, register, accident record, visitors book, complaints book, activity photos, etc - and they prompted some questions. Specific ones were:-

what's for dinner tonight ?
what other types of food do you cook ? Is it ever ready-meals eg, shop-bought curry ?
do you always walk to school ?
do you have smoke alarms ?
do you have local telephone numbers re safeguarding children ?
what indoor activities do you do ?
what sort of books do you have (to which my son piped up 'captain underpants')
can I see your MOT, log book, and car insurance details and driving licence ?
Do you keep a list of first aid box contents so that you know what you need to re-fill ?

I tried to give detailed answers, eg, I always prepare fruit for snacks and at least 2 veg at dinner....in fact we are growing our own vegetables and strawberries to encourage the children to eat well...blah blah

She sat with us while we made Fathers Day cards - glue and glitter all over the table while she tapped away on her laptop and even helped my daughter with her card. She moved briefly to another room while we all ate dinner and then straight afterwards she looked round the house with me and checked windows were locked. I pointed out smoke alarms, sockets covered, fire blanket etc. She had a thorough look round the garden, at the plants, in the greenhouse, and at the guinea pig hutch.

It was not as terrifying as I imagined it would be. I had made sure the house was all OK re health and safety, and tidy and clean-ish but not like a show-home. She was very friendly and it was all common sense stuff. She liked the fact that we all ate together (hubby as well) and my interaction with the children.

She left at 6pm.

brillminder
13-06-2008, 06:29 PM
sounds like u felt comfortable that the best thing :)then the answers just flow like they should well done

Mrs M
14-06-2008, 08:52 AM
My inspector was lovely and didn't ask me too many questions. I think the best advice I can give you is to have every piece of relevant paperwork out on the table for her, that way she doesn't need to keep interrupting you whilst you're working. For example, your MOT cert, business insurance cert, signed policies, accident/incident book, complaints file (even though you probably don't have any complaints, show that you have a file in place), sample menus, children's observations, photographs etc etc. I have all my certificates on display in my hallway, my parent's poster, welcome posters and complaints procedure. Ensure you have some exciting activities planned for the children and then just go about your day as you usually would.
Best of luck.