PDA

View Full Version : Should I just plan for the Prime areas?

liz79
19-08-2012, 04:51 PM
At the moment I do a termly plan for each child with a next step for each of the six areas - these are statements taken directly from the EYFS e.g. 'show interest in shape and space by playing with or making arrangements' I choose this based on their prior knowledge in the area and r to link to their interest, I then make notes of ideas on how I may develop this area throughout the term, e.g. make pictures using shapes, play with shapes, look for shapes in the envrionment. Then each week I have a rough plan of the activities we are going to do each day, morning and afternoon - some of these are filled in in advance, some are more of a retrospective plan (log of activities we did do) and include some of the things from the termly plan for each child, e.g. Monday a.m. shape walk, some things that may follow on from an observation and some things the children themselves suggest that week.

When I make the change in September would you suggest I just do a termly plan for the 3 Prime areas for each child, then include activities that cover the specific areas in the weekly plans?

Any ideas gratefully received as I am due an inspection soo and would really like to have it all sorted in my head ready!

Thanks

kindredspirits
19-08-2012, 07:22 PM
i'm not 100% sure but i think focusing on just the prime areas is for under 2's???

sarah707
19-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Children of all ages will sing, dance, play with playdough, dress up, be imaginative, build with Lego, draw pictures, read books...

You cannot and must not focus on the prime areas to the exclusion of everything else for any age of child.

Yes the prime areas are considered the most important - but the specific areas are designed to enhance the prime - so need planning too just as we do now.

Hth :D

liz79
20-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks Sarah. I understand that all areas will still need to have activities planned for them and of course I will still do this, however I was really wondering whether the longer term - termly plan - I do should just show the prime areas - with the specific areas being covered by the weekly plans I do.

I only have under 2's a the moment kindredspirits so should be fine with that, thankyou.