PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready...?

sarah707
17-08-2012, 08:50 AM
The revised EYFS is 2 weeks away! :eek: Are you ready? :jump for joy:

Have you...?

- Updated your safeguarding policy and procedures to include information about mobile phones and cameras?

- Gone through requirement 3.72 and made sure you can say 'yes, I share all that with parents'?

- Changed the parent information guide on www.foundationyears.org.uk so it reflects your way of working?

- Updated your observation, assessment and planning documents to show the 7 areas of learning?

- Designed a new '2 year progress check format' that you are happy with?

- Made a new 'physical intervention' record in case you need to document an incident?

- Decided whether you are going to continue writing your RAs or explain them verbally during your inspection?

- Worked through all the EYFS 2012 to make sure you have all the required documents in place?

- Included the Characteristics of Effective Learning in the children's assessments?

- Decided whether you are going to make changes to the ways you present your policies and procedures?

- Explained the changes to the EYFS to parents?

- Made sure parents are aware that you will be sharing their child's learning with them so they can follow up activities at home from now on?

- Considered how you will note sharing with other settings / agencies so you can show evidence of this to your inspector?

- Changed the format of each child's Learning Journey file to include the new Development Matters guidance document and decided how you will show progression without using it as a tick list?

- Downloaded a copy of 'Working together to safeguard children'... and noted that it is being replaced soon? I do NOT recommend printing it - it's huge!

- Made sure your SEF is safely stored on your computer because Ofsted are going to be mucking about with their online SEF system?

- Taken time to read through all the information in free downloads at the top of the forum... about changes to the EYFS, variations from Sept etc to make sure you are confident you will be ready to tackle the new requirements?

Now is the time to sort things out!! :clapping:

Don't forget - I am offering free updates on all e-books you have bought previously - you just need to contact me and ask for them :D

mrstom
17-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Not yet!!

I'm going to be sitting down this weekend to get lots boxed off but seeing it all written down like that makes me feel a bit :eek:

jumpinjen
17-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks Sarah - sitting here plugging through my p and p's - can I have an update for the sef book please when it is out?

Thanks, jen x

loocyloo
17-08-2012, 09:39 AM
woohoo

quite pleased

Made a new 'physical intervention' record in case you need to document an incident?

is the only thing i haven't done!

so thats another quick form for my 'medical' file ...

LOL so much for reducing our paperwork :laughing:

Toothfairy
17-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Great check list, thanks Sarah :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
17-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Sarah :thumbsup:

*Note to self: KEEP TO DO LIST IN ONE PLACE NOT ON SEVERAL POST IT NOTES IN MULTIPLE PLACES!!

(and not wait for Sarah to put the list up in future)

charleyfarley
17-08-2012, 09:53 AM
No not completely ready yet but will be just in time too:)

Carol xx

sarah707
17-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks Sarah - sitting here plugging through my p and p's - can I have an update for the sef book please when it is out?

Thanks, jen x

As soon as it is ready I will email all customers offering a free update... I am just waiting for the questions so I can get cracking on it!

Looking forward to a new challenge... but I imagine it will mostly be a re-hash if the inspectors guidance is anything to go by :D

Mrs Scrubbit
17-08-2012, 10:04 AM
thank you Sarah your list is going to be of great help,maybe I can get my act together now and get myself sorted. I've never had a physical intervention record in place-what do I need to include? Thanks again your a true star x

sarah707
17-08-2012, 10:12 AM
thank you Sarah your list is going to be of great help,maybe I can get my act together now and get myself sorted. I've never had a physical intervention record in place-what do I need to include? Thanks again your a true star x

The requirements state -

3.51 A person will not be taken to have used corporal punishment (and therefore will not have committed an offence), where physical intervention was taken for the purposes of averting immediate danger of personal injury to any person (including the child) or to manage a child’s behaviour if absolutely necessary. Physical intervention is where practitioners use reasonable force to prevent children from injuring themselves or others or damaging property. Providers, including childminders, must keep a record of any occasion where physical intervention is used, and parents and/or carers must be informed on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable.

So you just need a simple form like your accident and injury form which says that you used physical intervention to keep a child safe - time, date, name & dob of child, who was involved, exactly what happened, name of witnesses if appropriate, signatures and dates (you and parent/s).

Hth :D

The Juggler
17-08-2012, 10:43 AM
bank holiday weekend is blocked out for updates :laughing::laughing:

Tippy Toes
17-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Im not under the EYFS as from Wales, but if I was I would be so grateful to know someone like you!

What a thorough and very helpful post xx

desiderata
17-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Nowhere near Sarah, as said previously x I know in July you did an e book and I said I was going to get it for my birthday, well I forgot , so will need to get that one from you please if you can remember which one it is xx

mum22
17-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Sarah you are truly amazing, thank you:clapping:

sue m
17-08-2012, 12:38 PM
No, not ready! Mollymop and me aren't even having the training till 13th October.......

Little Pickles
17-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Thank you so much :clapping:

*daisychain*
17-08-2012, 01:14 PM
you have just saved me from writing yet another 'to do' list
Thank you xxx

cherry
17-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Sarah, could you give me the link to the Working together to safeguard children please.

When I do a search I keep coming up with the Statutory Framework.

Mollymop
17-08-2012, 03:23 PM
No, not ready! Mollymop and me aren't even having the training till 13th October.......

This is right, and all because Cambridgeshire Early Years "didn't realise they would be so inundated with childminders wanting to do the course so they didn't book enough sessions" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Says it all really!!

Thank goodness we have you Sarah:thumbsup:

Angela234
17-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Sarah getting back to work after 2 1/2 years out 2 new mindee's starting Sept away this weekend then away for week next week so guess what i shall be doing next week!!!

I have had the granchildren all hols 5 - 7 of them so was looking foward to a few days off,

welcome back to the world of childminding

blue bear
17-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you Sarah,do you ever sleep? :thumbsup:

linda2girls
17-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Oh wow, didn't realise there was that much to do, feeling stressed now but thanks Sarah.

One question - the 'physical intervention record' - could this be classed as an incident and recorded on the NCMA Accident/Incident form?

Thanks,
Linda.

sarah707
17-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Sarah, could you give me the link to the Working together to safeguard children please.

When I do a search I keep coming up with the Statutory Framework.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DCSF-00305-2010

xx

sarah707
17-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh wow, didn't realise there was that much to do, feeling stressed now but thanks Sarah.

One question - the 'physical intervention record' - could this be classed as an incident and recorded on the NCMA Accident/Incident form?

Thanks,
Linda.

The word 'incident' is not mentioned in the revised EYFS.

It refers to accident and injury... and to physical intervention as the things that need recording.

i suppose physical intervention is an incident... and I still intend to note any other incidents that might have happened because I want to remain professional and keep parents updated about what their child has done / seen / said etc while with me... but it's no longer in the requirements.

hth :D

silvermist
17-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Thats a really useful list, Thanks Sarah. xx

samb
17-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow fab - Sarah you are amazing! I am so pleased to say that yes I have done most of the list apart from the forms for obs and planning - I currently use my LAs version just changed slightly to suit me and they say they are making revised ones available for September but haven't seen anything as yet. I am at the point where I am wondering if I should do mine from scratch or wait and adapt (which would be less work but very last minute!)

Shamai
17-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you Sarah, that is sooooo helpful! x

cherry
17-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you Sarah :thumbsup:

Paulab
17-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Overwhelmed much, can't seem to get my head around anything at the mo, having horrendous tension headaches for the last 2 weeks, shouldnt even be on here (ipad) let alone thinking about working on a computer, doc has prescribed something to knock me out over the weekend to try to get rid of the headache !

Been still working full time with very challenging 10 year old mindee & a mum who brings her sick kids & says they will be picked up & then there not !

Arrrhhhh rant over,

But thank you Sarah at least I have something to work with now when I feel better

Much love Paula x

migimoo
17-08-2012, 07:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(not that i'm panicking though:rolleyes:)

Pauline
17-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Sarah, it sounds to me like you are suggesting the EYFS has changed? :huh:

;)

breezy
17-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks Sarah, I've made a start, but the list is a great help, theres always something I forget!

miffy
17-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Cheers Sarah xx

Miffy xx

marian
17-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I had a bit of a 'paperwork sorting' day today but obviously have much more to do!

Marian x

Childrenatheart
17-08-2012, 10:37 PM
eeek!
Been on holiday for 2 weeks full of good intentions. So far I've revised 2.5 policies :o(
Thanks Sarah, as always - really handy list

Tily Bud
18-08-2012, 11:03 AM
- Changed the parent information guide on www.foundationyears.org.uk so it reflects your way of working?

Ive looked and cant find the parents information guide :panic:

sarah707
18-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Ive looked and cant find the parents information guide :panic:

Paragraph 5 on here :D

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/

EYFS for Parents
4Children has published a non-statutory document with the aim of giving parents an overview of the EYFS Framework 2012. It will illustrate how parents can support their child during the foundation years. Settings will be able to add further information in free text boxes to give parents more details about the implementation of the EYFS in their setting. It is the intention that all settings should share this guidance with parents. This guide has been developed with parents. An overwhelming want from parents was that this guide would be available electronically. Therefore it has been designed to be accessed electronically but also as a downloadable printed copy. Included in the guide are free text boxes where settings can insert their own logos, aims and messages to parents. There is an accompanying user guide for that takes you through the process of editing the Parents' Guide.

sandy64
19-08-2012, 06:52 AM
thanks sarah ive made a good start done safe guarding policy or is it back to child protection????? confused lol but will now have a look at the others on list do we need to write how we will share childs development as a policy? i have now in writing but will it need to be in soo much more details?
well all will be done soon as im over due an inspection and my luck they will come first wk of sept:panic: need to get grand opening of play centre out the way today then i can go back to concentrating on c.m could i have any updates of ebooks i had bought please il happily pay let me no costs thanks again for all your hard work:)

sarah707
19-08-2012, 08:10 AM
thanks sarah ive made a good start done safe guarding policy or is it back to child protection?????

Mine is called - safeguarding and child protection policy and procedures

confused lol but will now have a look at the others on list do we need to write how we will share childs development as a policy? i have now in writing but will it need to be in soo much more details?

It's up to you - it's not a requirement.

The requirement is that you share information about the EYFS and...

- How you will use it

- How parents can find out more information about it

well all will be done soon as im over due an inspection and my luck they will come first wk of sept:panic: need to get grand opening of play centre out the way today

Good luck! I hope it goes well :clapping:

then i can go back to concentrating on c.m could i have any updates of ebooks i had bought please il happily pay let me no costs

I will email you

thanks again for all your hard work:)

You are very welcome! :D

mrsmaggy
19-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Made a new 'physical intervention' record in case you need to document an incident?

Oh my days I new nothing about this, im going to give up :panic:

sarah707
19-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Oh my days I new nothing about this, im going to give up :panic:

It's in requirement 3.51 - just adapt your accident /injury record and make it a 'physical intervention' record instead :D

mrsmaggy
19-08-2012, 09:37 AM
It's in requirement 3.51 - just adapt your accident /injury record and make it a 'physical intervention' record instead :D

So it will now be called Physical intervention record instead of accident form?

PixiePetal
19-08-2012, 10:00 AM

I have a line in my behaviour policy about only physically removing a child from a situation if they or another child is at risk of harm.
This helped, along with notes in my diary, when a situation arose and I was reported. All was good in the end but I felt this helped cover me on what had happened and I feel this extra bit has been added for just those situations - I have printed and saved a short form to fill in for parents to sign if I have to remove a child again and avoid going through what I had to endure.

well worth thinking about to cover yourself

sarah707
19-08-2012, 10:01 AM
So it will now be called Physical intervention record instead of accident form?

No sorry I didn't make myself clear :o

You still need to have an accident / injury form!

You also need a physical intervention form.

I just took my accident / incident form and...

- Changed the name to 'accident / injury'

- Copied and pasted it into a new document

- Called it 'physical intervention' instead

- Slightly adapted the wording to cover physical intervention

I now have 2 forms saying very similar things but covering both scenarios.

Does that make sense? :D

mrsmaggy
19-08-2012, 10:13 AM
No sorry I didn't make myself clear :o

You still need to have an accident / injury form!

You also need a physical intervention form.

I just took my accident / incident form and...

- Changed the name to 'accident / injury'

- Copied and pasted it into a new document

- Called it 'physical intervention' instead

- Slightly adapted the wording to cover physical intervention

I now have 2 forms saying very similar things but covering both scenarios.

Does that make sense? :D

Have you made it into and ebook? can I buy it :laughing:

I have -
Accident form
Incident form
Existing injury - explained
Existing Injury - unexplained

So I need to change Accident to Accident/Injury, A Physical intervention form, keep incident and existing injuries?

onceinabluemoon
19-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Thank you :)

sarah707
19-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Have you made it into and ebook? can I buy it :laughing:

I have -
Accident form - the wording in the revised EYFS is 'accident and injury'
Incident form - fine - it's no longer a requirement but I imagine it will be very good practice so don't throw it away
Existing injury - explained - fine - you could have one with a tick box for explained / unexplained BUT keep it like this if it makes sense to you!!
Existing Injury - unexplained

So I need to change Accident to Accident/Injury, A Physical intervention form, keep incident and existing injuries?

I thought people might find it easier to change an existing form - you can write a new one if you want!

Hope this helps :D

mrsmaggy
19-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Done :D:thumbsup:

Nannyvicki
19-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Great checklist, thankyou, have a week off now to tackle this and check what I still have left to sort out!

cathtee
19-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Just got back from 2 weeks in the sun with mr grey:blush: a little light reading before going through the new eyfs next weekend while hubby puts up next doors shed. Thanks for the check list will be very useful:)

AliceK
19-08-2012, 06:41 PM
wow. Sarah thanks for pointing me in the direction of your list, it's a great help. However I can now see I still have a lot to do :(. There was me thinking I was on top of it all.

xxx

Maza
19-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Thank you so uch Sarah, this is soooo helpful. Bless you! x

Bear23
19-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you xx

joannetalbot
20-08-2012, 08:18 AM
thank you sarah :) it's great to have all the eyfs changes consolidated into one list, makes it so much easier to see whether we are in fact ready !! thankfully i am..........im actually looking forward to the new eyfs starting so that everything settles down, or maybe thats wishful thinking eh :laughing:

re accident/injury as it will now be called....i use the ncma accident, incident & medication folder (as do lots of others it seems) so im hoping they will re-work their forms to show "injury" instead of "incident". I am loothe to call them and find out though as i will be passed around the office as i doubt anyone will know the answer:rolleyes:

my confidence in the ncma is slowly waining....................the webinars i attended back in april were dreadful...it was clear that the 1st batch of people who did them were used as guinea pigs as the content was very basic and just read from the framework (even though i'd checked before hand that this wouldn't be in the case) plus the trainers who conducted the webinars had very little experience of running webinars either so the quality was awful too :angry:

and don't even get me started on the new ncma book "the eyfs and you"......i pre-ordered it as soon as it was offered to us.....they took my money straight away (which meant it was in their account for approx 6 weeks before I received delivery) plus they only sent me 1 copy instead of the 2 i'd ordered plus it isn't really a book its more of a "booklet"....its very thin so technically you can't really call it a book and i paid £10.99 for it :rolleyes: i'd happily of paid £5 but not £10.99.....

sorry, just realised i've hijacked this post :blush: but feel better for having a rant ;)

jo xx

ORKSIE
20-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you Sarah

xx

hectors house
20-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I have a line in my behaviour policy about only physically removing a child from a situation if they or another child is at risk of harm.
This helped, along with notes in my diary, when a situation arose and I was reported. All was good in the end but I felt this helped cover me on what had happened and I feel this extra bit has been added for just those situations - I have printed and saved a short form to fill in for parents to sign if I have to remove a child again and avoid going through what I had to endure.

well worth thinking about to cover yourself

I added a couple of lines in my behaviour policy too - just need to create a physical intervention recording sheet and then I can tick that one off.

Sorry to hear you had an incident reported against you, but glad to hear that by recording it you protected yourself, nice to know that sometimes all this paperwork does have a purpose!

tas
20-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Thank you the list is so helpful :thumbsup:
Now to crack on and work my way through it!

suekibey
20-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I am updating everything over the next 2 weeks.
Please could I have an update on the sef book when its ready.
Thanks x

sarah707
20-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I am updating everything over the next 2 weeks.
Please could I have an update on the sef book when its ready.
Thanks x

I can't do anything with the SEF e-book until Ofsted have done their bit and revised the SEF!

I will email all customers and let you know on the forum when it is ready :D

Nix
20-08-2012, 05:47 PM
:panic: not yet :panic:

But thanks for the To Do List:thumbsup:

Please can I have updates for the ebooks I have purchased? Thanks again.

jellybean cc
21-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the list Sarah thats a great help, on holiday now for two weeks so going to get it all sorted.

One question that comes to mind. Do we have to have an official accident / injury form. I had one when i started but just found it extra paperwork so now i have a note book, the type with the blue copy paper in it, so i can keep a copy and give a copy to parents of any letters / reports i write. I write any accident / incident up in here as it happens and get parents to sign both copies. Mine then stay in the book.

Can i continue doing this and write up any physical intervention in here as well.
It is working well and all my parents are happy with it

sarah707
21-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the list Sarah thats a great help, on holiday now for two weeks so going to get it all sorted.

One question that comes to mind. Do we have to have an official accident / injury form. I had one when i started but just found it extra paperwork so now i have a note book, the type with the blue copy paper in it, so i can keep a copy and give a copy to parents of any letters / reports i write. I write any accident / incident up in here as it happens and get parents to sign both copies. Mine then stay in the book.

Can i continue doing this and write up any physical intervention in here as well.
It is working well and all my parents are happy with it

You do not have to have an 'official' anything - it's about making sure the documentation you have meets current requirements, informs parents, stands up if there is a complaint or injury which needs reporting to insurance / RIDDOR etc.

You also need to be careful about confidentiality - making sure parents cannot flick through the book and see who has had accidents etc.

SandCastles
21-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the to-do list Sarah - I can tick some things off but some are new to me. Not long now so will make a start.

Sandy

kats
21-08-2012, 07:56 AM
thank you sooooooo much :) xx

Mrs M
21-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the list. Just a couple of questions.
With regards to amending our Safeguarding policy, we work with the one from our LA and are required to use that one. Are we permitted to amend that in anyway or should we write another one to run alongside it? Tbh, I still use my original policy and run it alongside the LA one but not sure of the requirements.
Also, with regards to our policies and procedures, I am happy with mine but wondered if anyone else had any ideas of how to present them to work inline with the new EYFS.
Just about to re-write contracts with effect from September, especially as hours are changing anyway so it all works out.
My parents receive their children's LJ's every six to eight weeks and I do ask for feedback from them (not that I usually get it from one of the families) and I also write newsletters ensuring that parents are aware of my planning so that they can continue our themes at home.
Hoping all is going to work itself out in time!!!
x

Andrea08
21-08-2012, 10:12 AM
As always your a star just what we needed a simple list of changes we need to do although I have always had a physical intervention form for when i have had to use physical force to more a child or prevent a child running into the road etc

xxx

Dragonfly
21-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Same as Mollymop my Revised EYFS course is 13th October Im so. so lost with it all:panic:

sarah707
21-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the list. Just a couple of questions.
With regards to amending our Safeguarding policy, we work with the one from our LA and are required to use that one. Are we permitted to amend that in anyway or should we write another one to run alongside it? Tbh, I still use my original policy and run it alongside the LA one but not sure of the requirements.
Also, with regards to our policies and procedures, I am happy with mine but wondered if anyone else had any ideas of how to present them to work inline with the new EYFS.
Just about to re-write contracts with effect from September, especially as hours are changing anyway so it all works out.
My parents receive their children's LJ's every six to eight weeks and I do ask for feedback from them (not that I usually get it from one of the families) and I also write newsletters ensuring that parents are aware of my planning so that they can continue our themes at home.
Hoping all is going to work itself out in time!!!
x

I have adapted the Cheshire East model safeguarding policy to suit me and my provision.

I run it alongside - it does not replace - my own safeguarding and child protection policy and procedures.

I have not amended the Cheshire one just my own as they say the right things between them.

Policies and procedures - I have mostly just changed the wording to reflect the different focus of some of the requirements and added requirements numbers. I will present them in alphabetical order.

Hth :D x

Twinkles
21-08-2012, 08:21 PM
I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANY MORE !!!!

sandy64
22-08-2012, 06:49 AM
HI i use ncma acident/incident book do i need to change wording in that???
or just on policys?:)

sarah707
22-08-2012, 07:03 AM
HI i use ncma acident/incident book do i need to change wording in that???
or just on policys?:)

I am surprised NCMA are not ready for the revised EYFS with updated documentation to reflect the new wording.

Perhaps someone needs to ring them and ask them what their timescale is since we are only a week away from launch now.

In the meantime I suggest you reflect the new wording in your own paperwork -

3.48 Providers must ensure there is a first aid box accessible at all times with appropriate content for use with children. Providers must keep a written record of accidents or injuries and first aid treatment. Providers must inform parents and/or carers of any accident or injury sustained by the child on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable, of any first aid treatment given.

3.49 Registered providers must notify Ofsted of any serious accident, illness or injury to, or death of, any child while in their care, and of the action taken. Notification must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring. A registered provider, who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence. Providers must notify local child protection agencies of any serious accident or injury to, or the death of, any child while in their care, and must act on any advice from those agencies.

sandy64
22-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks Sarah they may have but its a book i started at april seemed silly to buy a new one yet? so will change wording thanks:)

I am surprised NCMA are not ready for the revised EYFS with updated documentation to reflect the new wording.

Perhaps someone needs to ring them and ask them what their timescale is since we are only a week away from launch now.

In the meantime I suggest you reflect the new wording in your own paperwork -

3.48 Providers must ensure there is a first aid box accessible at all times with appropriate content for use with children. Providers must keep a written record of accidents or injuries and first aid treatment. Providers must inform parents and/or carers of any accident or injury sustained by the child on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable, of any first aid treatment given.

3.49 Registered providers must notify Ofsted of any serious accident, illness or injury to, or death of, any child while in their care, and of the action taken. Notification must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring. A registered provider, who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence. Providers must notify local child protection agencies of any serious accident or injury to, or the death of, any child while in their care, and must act on any advice from those agencies.

pinkellifun
22-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Have you...?

- Updated your safeguarding policy and procedures to include information about mobile phones and cameras?

- Gone through requirement 3.72 and made sure you can say 'yes, I share all that with parents'?

- Updated your observation, assessment and planning documents to show the 7 areas of learning?

- Designed a new '2 year progress check format' that you are happy with?

- Made a new 'physical intervention' record in case you need to document an incident?

- Decided whether you are going to continue writing your RAs or explain them verbally during your inspection?

- Worked through all the EYFS 2012 to make sure you have all the required documents in place?

- Included the Characteristics of Effective Learning in the children's assessments?

- Decided whether you are going to make changes to the ways you present your policies and procedures?

- Explained the changes to the EYFS to parents?

- Made sure parents are aware that you will be sharing their child's learning with them so they can follow up activities at home from now on?

- Considered how you will note sharing with other settings / agencies so you can show evidence of this to your inspector?

- Changed the format of each child's Learning Journey file to include the new Development Matters guidance document and decided how you will show progression without using it as a tick list?

- Downloaded a copy of 'Working together to safeguard children'... and noted that it is being replaced soon? I do NOT recommend printing it - it's huge!

- Made sure your SEF is safely stored on your computer because Ofsted are going to be mucking about with their online SEF system?

- Taken time to read through all the information in free downloads at the top of the forum... about changes to the EYFS, variations from Sept etc to make sure you are confident you will be ready to tackle the new requirements?

Don't forget - I am offering free updates on all e-books you have bought previously - you just need to contact me and ask for them :D

Ok, I am panicking now! I'm feeling very unsure as I thought I had all the paperwork (framework, dev. matters, 2 year check, etc) but where are the requirements stated. I looked for 3.72 and in the framework it only goes to 3.7!!!! Am I being a complete idiot today and looking in the wrong place?

Help!!!!

Ignore me - found it!!!!!! :blush::blush::blush::blush:

sue m
22-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANY MORE !!!!

I'm with Twink, I'm taking my ball home!! ;)

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 03:04 PM
ive just spoken to the ncma who have categorically said they are not revising the "accident, incident or medication folder" at all

even though i said that some of the wording in the new eyfs has changed so therefore the folder should reflect those changes.....even though i mentioned the "physical intervention" that we now have to document and report to parents....it was still a resounding NO :angry:

she did suggest i contact their marketing dept but in all honesty, i can;t see the point....if there WERE going to make any changes then im sure they would of done them by now so that they did fall into place from the 1st sept.

personally, i think the way they word their accident/incident forms does allow you to document "injuries" too and i guess any physical intervention that we may have to do can be documented as an incident too so maybe they just think that we'll just have to modify what we've already got BUT it would of been nice to have had everything updated in line with the new eyfs but there you go :rolleyes:

not sure if thats helped anyone at all but at least now we have an answer

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 03:04 PM
ive just spoken to the ncma who have categorically said they are not revising the "accident, incident or medication folder" at all

even though i said that some of the wording in the new eyfs has changed so therefore the folder should reflect those changes.....even though i mentioned the "physical intervention" that we now have to document and report to parents....it was still a resounding NO :angry:

she did suggest i contact their marketing dept but in all honesty, i can;t see the point....if there WERE going to make any changes then im sure they would of done them by now so that they did fall into place from the 1st sept.

personally, i think the way they word their accident/incident forms does allow you to document "injuries" too and i guess any physical intervention that we may have to do can be documented as an incident too so maybe they just think that we'll just have to modify what we've already got BUT it would of been nice to have had everything updated in line with the new eyfs but there you go :rolleyes:

not sure if thats helped anyone at all but at least now we have an answer :)

jo x

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 03:08 PM
whoops, posted twice :blush::blush:

mrs robbie williams
22-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Paragraph 5 on here :D

EYFS for Parents
4Children has published a non-statutory document with the aim of giving parents an overview of the EYFS Framework 2012. It will illustrate how parents can support their child during the foundation years. Settings will be able to add further information in free text boxes to give parents more details about the implementation of the EYFS in their setting. It is the intention that all settings should share this guidance with parents. This guide has been developed with parents. An overwhelming want from parents was that this guide would be available electronically. Therefore it has been designed to be accessed electronically but also as a downloadable printed copy. Included in the guide are free text boxes where settings can insert their own logos, aims and messages to parents. There is an accompanying user guide for that takes you through the process of editing the Parents' Guide.

Ive followed the link but dont understand what i need to do :blush: can someone help x

tamsin
22-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I think the accident/incident section of the NCMA book would work okay if that's what you use generally. I would file physical intervention under incidents anyway, on the grounds that there would be some precipitating incident e.g. a fight that risked injury, that caused you to use physical intervention.

So I would fill in the description of what happened that make you decide you need to use physical intervention, and then in the injury/action field description the action taken i.e. 'physical intervention' (though obviously a little more detail :) ) and then just include a note there was no injury (presuming there wasn't).

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Ive followed the link but dont understand what i need to do :blush: can someone help x

hi, if you click on the link it will take you to the foundation years website - if you scroll down to the heading "eyfs info for parents" i think its called and you'll see a document there that you can download. once you've downloaded it you can fill in the text boxes with your own setting information and then save it and print out for parents or e-mail to them, whichever you prefer.

does that help :)

jo x

mrs robbie williams
22-08-2012, 05:00 PM
hi, if you click on the link it will take you to the foundation years website - if you scroll down to the heading "eyfs info for parents" i think its called and you'll see a document there that you can download. once you've downloaded it you can fill in the text boxes with your own setting information and then save it and print out for parents or e-mail to them, whichever you prefer.

does that help :)

jo x

have done that but still cant find it :blush: can you put a link on for me x

jane5
22-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I am doing my excellent impression of an ostrich :blush:

mrs robbie williams
22-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I am doing my excellent impression of an ostrich :blush:

ive been doing that but it all seems to be coming up a bit too quick :laughing:

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 05:19 PM
have done that but still cant find it :blush: can you put a link on for me x

hi, im hopeless at links :blush::blush::blush: which doesn't help you i know BUT if you go back to sarah's original link, which is what i've just done to double check that it does work:) it takes you to the f/years website, scoll down for eyfs for parents and then underneath that it says download guide for parents, click on that and it will bring up the document you need and just work your way through it and add your own setting information into the boxes that it indicates.

sorry i can't be of any more help but i have just followed the link to make sure that im not going daft and it worked fine for me :)

if you're still having problems i could e-mail you my own parents guide as i saved it onto my computer for my parents. you're more than welcome to have that so you can re-do it for your setting but see how you get on with the link and if not PM me :)

jo x

joannetalbot
22-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I think the accident/incident section of the NCMA book would work okay if that's what you use generally. I would file physical intervention under incidents anyway, on the grounds that there would be some precipitating incident e.g. a fight that risked injury, that caused you to use physical intervention.

So I would fill in the description of what happened that make you decide you need to use physical intervention, and then in the injury/action field description the action taken i.e. 'physical intervention' (though obviously a little more detail :) ) and then just include a note there was no injury (presuming there wasn't).

thank you....having somebody else write it down has now made it a lot clearer in my head :D

jo x

Mrs M
23-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Even though I'm a member of the NCMA, I have my own Accident/Incident file which is now an Accident/Incident/Physical Intervention file!!! I refuse to keep spending money on their forms when I can just as easily type one up myself. I do agree that Physical Intervention can come under 'Incident' so that's why NCMA don't really feel the need to amend any of their paperwork. It's up to us as practitioners to ensure that we use the correct wording (to keep Ofsted happy!!) and to make up new forms if we feel the need to. I've made a Physical Intervention form to show that I understand the new requirements and will use it if need be. At the end of the day, we are supposed to be doing less paperwork if we read the literature correctly. They want us to be spending more time with the children and less on paperwork. I feel that at the beginning of anything new, we have to amend/devise paperwork for our setting. It's like when you first set up as a cm and it seems as though the RA's are endless but once they're in place, there's very little to do except review them. The same with policies, permissions. So, although at the moment it seems like there's so much to do, I'm sure it'll all have settled down soon and we'll be happy once again!

EmmaReed84
23-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Just a few questions, hope you don't mind. I know you are awfully busy...

Have you...?

- Updated your safeguarding policy and procedures to include information about mobile phones and cameras? I have updated my policy and explained that photos are uploaded to a secure location and then deleted, and that I take all reasonable measure to ensure no one else takes photos unless prior permission as been given??? Is that right? Or am I missing something?

- Gone through requirement 3.72 and made sure you can say 'yes, I share all that with parents'? Is this stuff I have to provide parents with, like in a parent pack or hand the parents, or can I just have it in my portfolio, readily available for parents to see?

- Changed the parent information guide on www.foundationyears.org.uk so it reflects your way of working? Is that the parent guide to the EYFS?

- Included the Characteristics of Effective Learning in the children's assessments? Do these need to be included in general observations? Or just the summary assessments?

Mrs M
23-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Just a few questions, hope you don't mind. I know you are awfully busy...

Just thought I'd tell you what I've been told about the Characteristics of Effective Learning. We're to ensure we use them as we would any of the other seven areas. Therefore, if we make an observation of a child and feel that it links nicely to one of the characteristics of effective learning then we link it. We use the next steps from the book or our own just as we would do with the other seven areas. My Network Co-ordinator basically said that Ofsted will be looking to see that we understand the EYFS and this may be looked for. However, as always, it depends which inspector you get!! x

loocyloo
23-08-2012, 12:17 PM
LOL! my DO said NOT to use on general obs, just mention them on summative assessments! :laughing:

EmmaReed84
23-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Out of curiosity... where does the "less paperwork" part come in to it?

loocyloo
23-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Out of curiosity... where does the "less paperwork" part come in to it?

i'd love to know that too! even saying that we don't need ot have written RA or policies, we've still got all the obs etc, PLUS the 2 yr check!!! that is MORE paperwork!

although, i am aiming to slim down my obs to when the children do something new/amazing, not necesarily an ob of them doping something they have already done/similar again! i am guilty of taking so many photos and thinking 'oh wow' and putting them in the LJ!

toddlers896
23-08-2012, 12:33 PM
does anybody have a physical intervention form they fancy sharing. I use the NCMA accident, incident book.

Thanks
Tracy

EmmaReed84
23-08-2012, 12:35 PM
does anybody have a physical intervention form they fancy sharing. I use the NCMA accident, incident book.

Thanks
Tracy

I have put a few forms up... http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=107097

EmmaReed84
23-08-2012, 12:37 PM
There is another one here as well

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=107004

sarah707
23-08-2012, 06:15 PM
To answer your questions Emma...

- Updated your safeguarding policy and procedures to include information about mobile phones and cameras? I have updated my policy and explained that photos are uploaded to a secure location and then deleted, and that I take all reasonable measure to ensure no one else takes photos unless prior permission as been given??? Is that right? Or am I missing something?

That's what I have done!

- Gone through requirement 3.72 and made sure you can say 'yes, I share all that with parents'? Is this stuff I have to provide parents with, like in a parent pack or hand the parents, or can I just have it in my portfolio, readily available for parents to see?

I have put it into a document and email it to parents... it's up to you how you present it all

- Changed the parent information guide on www.foundationyears.org.uk so it reflects your way of working? Is that the parent guide to the EYFS?

Yes! It can be adapted slightly... or you can write your own

- Included the Characteristics of Effective Learning in the children's assessments? Do these need to be included in general observations? Or just the summary assessments?

The characteristics are not outcomes and cannot be measured. They are like noting the child's personality - it will develop and grow as the child gets older but rarely change.

You should be looking for how the child learns so you can tailor activities to support them and chat to parents about how you use their child's characteristics during day-to-day activities.

However, there is no requirement to note them every time you write an observation... unless you want to of course!

EmmaReed84
23-08-2012, 06:28 PM
The characteristics are not outcomes and cannot be measured. They are like noting the child's personality - it will develop and grow as the child gets older but rarely change.

You should be looking for how the child learns so you can tailor activities to support them and chat to parents about how you use their child's characteristics during day-to-day activities.

However, there is no requirement to note them every time you write an observation... unless you want to of course!

Go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and give yourself a massive huge kiss, right on the smackers... That' it from me :D

Thank you

So I am guessing in my assessments I do every 6-12 weeks in my overall summary I can just note it there then.

Oh, Oh, Oh... You know what... I think I am done...

:clapping: :clapping: WOOP WOOP lol

sarah707
23-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and give yourself a massive huge kiss, right on the smackers... That' it from me :D

Thank you

So I am guessing in my assessments I do every 6-12 weeks in my overall summary I can just note it there then.

Oh, Oh, Oh... You know what... I think I am done...

:clapping: :clapping: WOOP WOOP lol

:laughing::laughing:

toddlers896
23-08-2012, 08:25 PM
To answer your questions Emma...

That's what I have done!

I have put it into a document and email it to parents... it's up to you how you present it all

Yes! It can be adapted slightly... or you can write your own

Sarah how do i find the paperwork that can be edited on the parent information guide. I can find the parents info guide but not one that can be altered.
Thanks

sarah707
24-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Sarah how do i find the paperwork that can be edited on the parent information guide. I can find the parents info guide but not one that can be altered.
Thanks

It's the 5th download on here -

There are some parts where you can add information into it :D

toddlers896
24-08-2012, 07:31 AM
It's the 5th download on here -

There are some parts where you can add information into it :D

Thankyou Sarah, i found it. :clapping: