PDA

View Full Version : Env health

It's a small world
15-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Had env health come out last December and advised them that i only provide basic meals - sandwiches (diff bread,wraps etc) jacket potatoes, Pasta ,beans on toast, and one parent asked for tinned food (spaghetti , ravioli etc - very rarely given) anyway i basically dont do 'cooked meals' as was fed up of wasting food and throwing it away as fussy children. This is only lunch not dinner Well have 2 newbies starting in September and parent wants me to provide evening meal. Do i need to notify env health or just wait till they come back out next June ?

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I doubt it because in their eyes you are already providing meals because by doing what you are doing you are 'Handling Food' and that is where the problems can occur. Though there is no harm in giving them a quick call.

This is why I will never allow parents to provide food that is then brought into my home as I have no control over what has happened to it before it gets to me.

To put this in perspective. Years ago I ran an Outside Catering Company of my own. Three weeks before the New Year I got a call asking if I could do the catering for a big (over 300 people) New Years party and dance in our town. I quoted and got the job and did it for a few years until I gave up my business. It was worth a lot of money and the company who had been doing it had done so for many years.

The reason they lost the contract was because they had voluntarily closed themselves down. Why? Because the week before I got my call they had catered for a Christmas function and 'given' food poisoning to 300 people. They chose to close subject to finding out the cause of the Food Poisoning.

The cause of the Food Poisoning was found to be cooked sliced Turkey that the company had bought in and was infected before it arrived with them. So the food poisoning outbreak was nothing to do with the Catering company who subsequently lost a huge amount of business.

Food for thought.

This is the very reason I provide all the food my mindees eat when they are with me. I know where it has come from and what I have done with it. :thumbsup:

sarah707
15-08-2012, 05:31 PM
If you are unsure you could give them a ring and check! :thumbsup:

Some local authorities are more bothered than others :D