PDA

View Full Version : RA for Continuous Care

lorettacritchet
13-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Trying to get my new RA's done for the continuous care consideration and new business.

Not entirely whether on right lines, what are your thoughts? have i left anything out, got too much? Should I get parents to sign at the bottom of the page?

jumpinjen
13-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I think you need to include space for aspects personal to the child you are making your 'variation' for..... and address the specific issues related to routine such as how you will feed/sleep two babies under one for example or keep two 18 month olds safe on outings when they are walking around, give each child individual attention throughout the day etc etc..... I understood it that you pretty much need to complete the same information as is required now but keep it on file if Ofsted should ask to see justification for your ratios, in the event of a complaint for example........ so...... why not just print and use the existing Ofsted variation form?? or copy the bits of it that you need for your own form?

Jen x

lorettacritchet
13-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Funny thing, is I did copy most of the questions off the variation ofsted form?

I think you need to include space for aspects personal to the child you are making your 'variation' for..... and address the specific issues related to routine such as how you will feed/sleep two babies under one for example or keep two 18 month olds safe on outings when they are walking around, give each child individual attention throughout the day etc etc..... I understood it that you pretty much need to complete the same information as is required now but keep it on file if Ofsted should ask to see justification for your ratios, in the event of a complaint for example........ so...... why not just print and use the existing Ofsted variation form?? or copy the bits of it that you need for your own form?

Jen x

Mouse
13-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I agree with Jen, you need to make your RA specific to the changes you are making. Things like cleaning etc that you mention are in place anyway & not really relevant to varying your numbers.

I would include things like, can you evacuate extra children in an emergency, how will you allow time for each child's needs, how you will watch them all if you are out & about, how you will get them all out & about.

For variations for continuity of care, you already know the children, so can identify any risks particular to them (ie. if you have one who you know will run off it not on reins, or if you have a climber).

I would also amend the final part about having parental permission to go ahead with it and change it to having consulted with parents about the changes. What would you do if a parents didn't give permission?

lorettacritchet
13-08-2012, 09:23 AM
dO you mean i should include questions like the attached?

I agree with Jen, you need to make your RA specific to the changes you are making. Things like cleaning etc that you mention are in place anyway & not really relevant to varying your numbers.

I would include things like, can you evacuate extra children in an emergency, how will you allow time for each child's needs, how you will watch them all if you are out & about, how you will get them all out & about.

For variations for continuity of care, you already know the children, so can identify any risks particular to them (ie. if you have one who you know will run off it not on reins, or if you have a climber).

I would also amend the final part about having parental permission to go ahead with it and change it to having consulted with parents about the changes. What would you do if a parents didn't give permission?

Mouse
13-08-2012, 10:13 AM

I would. When you are considering an exception for continuity of care, it is for specific children, so you need to do the RA with those particular children in mind.
I would be specific, eg. Do I have sufficient equipment in the home? Yes, for these particular children I will need 2 highchairs, 2 booster seats etc , which I have.
How will I manage outings? For these children aged 1,2,3 & 4 I will use the double buggy for the 1 & 2yr olds, the 3yr old will be on reins and the 4 yr old will hold the buggy as they do now.

For exceptions due to continuity of care I don't think you can do a general RA as it needs to apply to the actual children you need it for, not just 4 children in general.

rickysmiths
13-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I didn't want to read and run. What you have written is a check list rather than a RA. perfectly fine to write a Check List because you are trying to see if you have everything in place to take on an extra child.

What about the Equipment you might need?

High Chairs
Cots and bedding
Buggies
Car Seats etc.?

lorettacritchet
13-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Yea that would come under one of the boxes - of do you have enough equipment etc? wouldnt it?

I didn't want to read and run. What you have written is a check list rather than a RA. perfectly fine to write a Check List because you are trying to see if you have everything in place to take on an extra child.

What about the Equipment you might need?

High Chairs
Cots and bedding
Buggies
Car Seats etc.?

jumpinjen
13-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Funny thing, is I did copy most of the questions off the variation ofsted form?

I was referring to things like:
*Please describe the change you require and the reason for your request, why the child needs to increase the times they attend...... although YOU know the change you want to make and why - it needs to be documented in case it is queried......

*Action plan and risk assessment - Include a plan of your day and how the individual needs of each child will be met.

*Risk Assessment

The form you have made so far is concise and contains lists of equipment, space and rations but not the reflective parts of the form as I have listed above, copied straight from the Ofsted form currently in use.

Regards, Jenni

sarah707
13-08-2012, 06:26 PM
You might find this document in free downloads helpful...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html

It contains a sample RA following Ofsted advice :D

bunyip
13-08-2012, 07:01 PM

WOW - THE BUNNY PARK!!! :jump for joy:

Loved it when I used to live in Northfields.

Please tell me the petting zoo is still there.
Please tell me it hasn't been sacrificed to Ealing Borough's budgetary axe.

:happy banana:

lorettacritchet
13-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, we didnt get to pet any animals, we saw loads of them though....they are completely revamping it so i think no ways is there an axe on it.

WOW - THE BUNNY PARK!!! :jump for joy:

Loved it when I used to live in Northfields.

Please tell me the petting zoo is still there.
Please tell me it hasn't been sacrificed to Ealing Borough's budgetary axe.

:happy banana:

bunyip
13-08-2012, 07:35 PM
So pleased to hear that.

People think London is all roads and buildings, but there's so much green space. Ealing and the area has so many lovely parks.

I used to cycle from East Twickenham to Ealing Broadway when I was at college and hardly saw any traffic, as I could go via the Thames, Grand Union canal and numerous parks (very carefully, of course, though hardly anyone was about at the time I used to set off.) Really strange to be in a capital city and be cycling past dog-walkers, horses, cows, swans, geese, kingfishers, etc.

Say hello to the BUnny Park for me next time (not to mention the 19th hole at Brent Valley golf course as you pass the gates.)

:clapping::jump for joy::laughing::jump for joy::clapping: