PDA

View Full Version : kittens

The Juggler
11-08-2012, 09:37 PM
have 2 new kittens. very gorgeous. both litter trained but one goes in our litter tray, the other hates our litter tray :(. She went in the litter tray at the foster home but as soon as I pop her in ours she jumps out.

She's not been all day and just pooped on our carpet :(. Any suggestions other than keep putting her in litter tray so she knows where it is????

miffy
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Are you using the same litter as the foster home?

Miffy xx

blue bear
11-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't keep tge litter tray too clean so she gets her smell on it. Did tge kittens share trays before or one each. My friend had a kitten that would only go in a totally clean tray or would go on the carpet. Not much help really.

Bananabrain
11-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Well Jell!:laughing:
Hello lovely, I am so jealous! Would love to have more cats but have to restrict myself to one or I would just get carried away!
You know there is always a 'mad cat lady' in every neighbourhood who wears her hair in a bun and her house smells of cat wee? Well in a few years there is every chance that will be me!
My lovely old girl passed away last year and my husband sobbed for days. We got another cat from cat protection that had been mistreated and it took months for her to settle and trust us. Now she is lovely and 'talks' to me!
Anyroad up, with your little one I would try gently taking her paw and rubbing it through the litter, you could even get her to watch you scraping the litter as if you were a cat.
Sounds barmy but my mother always used to do that and I did it with my kittens and it seems to work. It's almost as if you are taking on the role of the mother cat and showing her. Hope that makes sense?
And don't clean up with bleach. It will just make them do it in the same place over and over.
Good luck.
See, I knew you were lovely Jugs, all cat lovers are lovely!
I think I actually prefer cats to humans:laughing: There isn't much hope for me really!

The Juggler
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
lol, bananabrain.

well the kitten that won't use it was resident at the foster carer and was using the litter tray there fine. I told her what I was going to use and she thought it was fine. The other kitten had literally just arrived at the foster carer when we were there (she'd been with another carer). She has been fine.

she's just pooped on the carpet again in the same place.

I'm so worried now with the little ones here on Tuesday :( I think I've totally made the wrong decision getting them :panic:

Trouble
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Spray it with dettox :idea:

keep at it its early days :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bananabrain
12-08-2012, 02:46 PM
You haven't made the wrong decision Jugs. Kitty just needs time and patience.She needs to know that you are the mummy cat and she has to follow rules [I always liken it to 'training' children:laughing:]
She may possibly be a little stressed. She needs to know that she is ok and can trust you.
You can get stuff called 'Feliway' which is like 'Calms' for cats. Lots of cat people swear by it, but it is expensive.
I thought exactly the same about my new rescue cat last summer. She was so bitey and hissy and I was really stressed that she would scratch one of the children. It did take a few months but she is much, much better now. For the first few days she wouldn't come out of the wardrobe and jumped out of her skin when someone flushed the loo!
As I have been typing my son just said that she fell off the bed. She was so chilled she didn't realise how close she was to the edge!
I'm sure your little kittens will be fine. Just give them a little time. Do try the method I suggested. Again it takes time but it does work.
x