PDA

View Full Version : Advise please....

dusky777
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi
I normally only post in the just members sections.

I could do with a little advise if possible.

My 7 year old is carrying a little "puppy fat", one on my mindees boy age 5 called her fat the other day, she just passed it off but it really upset me.

i think we are a healthy family...Im a slimming world member so all my meals are low fat, we walk to and from school everyday 10/15 mins each way, she has swimming lessons, during the week we goto the park after school a couple of times a week, weekends can be a mix of parks, play centre, cinema walks etc

She has wholemeal toast for breakfast, normally pack luch at school ham sandwich on 50/50 bread or wholemeal, grapes, veg sticks and a yogurt she often leaves a sandwich....ive tried to limit afterschool snacks but as a feed the childminding children a snack at 4 crumpet, cheese on toast, sandwich and fruit etc it not alway possible as she is often hungry.

Dont get me wrong she has treats but only on wednesday saturday and if i let her she would eat junk all day but what kid wouldnt.

I also have a 3 year old who is really petite but they eat the same, infact she probably eats more!

Last night we had a huge argument at tea time as she has decided she no longer likes spag bol, Im worried trhis has something to do with the fat comment the other day?

I dont want to make an issue of her weight but any advise on how to help would be really appreciates.

I forgot to say we have seen the doc about this who doesnt seem overly concerned but has asked us to keep and eye on it.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 08:50 AM
It sounds like you are doing all the right things - children's weight does fluctuate a little as they go through different stages of growth - I think the worst thing you could do is give her a 'thing' about it by talking about weight, being fat etc etc - just continue to provide healthy meals and options and in proportion - as to the refusing spag bol, my girls go through phases where they decide they don't like a certain meal and i just tell them that it is the fmaily meal and they eat it or go without - i find after a few weeks they are eating it like they always did - I would have come down hard on the child calling names and made it very clear that it will not be tolerated and it is unkind and how would he feel if someone were to call him names etc. As for exercise, it is recommended that children have an hour a day - does she do PE at school? Are there Wii dance games and sprots you can play with all the mindees and opportunities in the garden? the best thing is to model healthy choices and talk about them being made to be healthy and happy rather than to be thin..... Big hugs, it's always upsetting when people are unkind to our children isn't it? XX

FussyElmo
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Is your dd due a growth spurt. My friends dd has done this for years have puppy fat and then grow so its gone etc etc.

Kids decide they dont like certain foods especially if you do it a lot. Perhaps do a lasange instead.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Is your dd due a growth spurt. My friends dd has done this for years have puppy fat and then grow so its gone etc etc.

Kids decide they dont like certain foods especially if you do it a lot. Perhaps do a lasange instead.

LOL - good idea, same basic ingredients, different style of pasta - I like it!:D

dusky777
11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks, yes she has 2 lessons a week doing pe, we get the wii out as often as we can but i only have 1 living rooms so when i have little ones i cant get it out as much, we are out int he garden as much as possible, i have quite a big garden and are thinking of getting a trampoline.

Lo was told its not nice to call people names, not sure it sunk in but if it happens again i will be getting mum to have a word as well....i only have him for another week so hopefully all will be well xx

Thanks again x

loocyloo
11-08-2012, 08:59 AM
LOL - good idea, same basic ingredients, different style of pasta - I like it!:D

when on holiday in menorca i had 'menorca pasta' ... it was macaroni with a huge dollop if bolognese sauce on the top, all covered with cheese and baked in the oven! it was very yummy and i will be cooking it for mindees! ;)

dusky777
11-08-2012, 09:01 AM

I think she is possibly due a growth spurt but we will see. Lasange is a big NO NO.....she will not eat it at all for some reason!!

I need to mix things up a bit we do tent to have the same things alot....time for a re think and include her, i think x

gegele
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
my daughter isn't big, fat or skinny...she's solid!
she usually grow in width then in height :D

for the food my dd was an amazing eater, she loved all veg, fav was spinach and courgette.... she started school at 5 and that was the end of it!!!!:mad:

she now always has something in her plate she doesn't like whatever it is!!! she hasn't eaten mash in year as decided she didn't like it anymore but she eats it at school!!:eek:

my son LOVES spag bol and rfeuse to eat lasagna!!!!! i do exactly same recipe for both!!:D

food is a power thing. i don't battle : you eat you eat you don't you'll be hungrier next meal!!

we all need snack every 3h though. fruits, toast and jam.....whatever but kids and adult shouldn't go without snack as it helps keeping a balance sugar level, avoid the high and low.

i KNOW when my kids are over due their snack :angry:

sarah707
11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Children can be very cruel :( We work hard to raise their self esteem but one comment can set them back :(

I'd suggest a few sporty role models - look how much pasta an athlete eats for example for slow release energy :D