PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessments - electronic?

lorettacritchet
11-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I have no arguement in doing RA's but am so sick of all my ink running out quickly, so trying to save paper and ink....do you think I would be okay to have my RA's electronically and then when ofsted arrive for inspection, I just print the recent ones off???

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I can't see any problem with that

You can have printed RA's in your folder that you amend by hand - shows reflection, progression and review

miffy
11-08-2012, 08:17 AM
You can have printed RA's in your folder that you amend by hand - shows reflection, progression and review

That is what I do. Have only ever printed off one copy.

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I have standard RA's for things like walking by roads, using the car, being near water, playgrounds, using the bus, shopping, soft plays, national trust proeprties, palces with animals, visiting friends, playgourps etc etc and they are laminated and I have one printed form that I can add in where we are going and which RA's I have used, and a column for alterations/additions/comments, then update - except I have decided not to extra paperwork now so not sure if i will continue to evidence on paper the RA's I have made......

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I can't see any problem with that

Thats what I do and I have only printed them off once. It is a folder full though. :laughing:

But of course you don't have to have them in writing from 1/9/12 but you do have to prove you do them.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Thats what I do and I have only printed them off once. It is a folder full though. :laughing:

But of course you don't have to have them in writing from 1/9/12 but you do have to prove you do them.

Ricky, do you think being able to discuss them knowledgeably will be enough for Ofsted as proof that i do them - and the laminated generic ones that i combine for different outings now?

Jen x

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Well that is the implication Jen. This is one of the ways they have 'reduced' our paperwork. Along with no longer requiring written Policies :rolleyes:

However having done the work I am going to maintain the RAs I already have I won't do new ones for new places visited but I will keep the ones I already have in the folder and update them as required they way I do now because it doesn't take a min.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Well under my new (unwritten..... ahem) policy of 'good enough' minding.... I will happily test this theory out for you all :D i am overdue inspection and will see how it goes..... watch this space!!!!!

jen x

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh yes keep us in touch please. I had my inspection last Sept so not due for at least 3 yrs.

lorettacritchet
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Huh? So you have printed laminated copies of RA's for all standard trips such as school, outings etc and you just fill them and delete the information when you got a new week or month? not sure how people are doing them?

With me, say for example, a school car trip - I print one page for the month worth of school car trips - standard risk assessments questions such as are seat belts safe, lights working etc and at the bottom I write every week I reassess it throughout that particular month such as a June RA would be broke down in w/c 6 June - All okay, it's snowing, need to drive slowly, little bit slippery etc...that kind of stuff. w/c 12 June - all okay, cat ran in road etc...

Chatterbox Childcare
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
I think you are over thinking it

I RA the car not the conditions

I RA the place I got to and its contents

jumpinjen
12-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Loretta I have a printed and laminated list of the things I RA for each standard trip - I don't write anything on it, I have it in a folder as evidence of what I RA for each type of trip or exposure eg to being by water, walking near roads, using the car. For example, the walk to school involves walking by roads RA, going to Sandwell Valley farm involves my 'using the car' RA, the 'being by water' one, the 'being near animals' one. I combine types of RA to the trip I am doing, I just note down which ones I used on the date and trip name on a chart, sign to say I RA'd and that's that - I don't think I'm even going to do that with the new EYFS - just show Ofsted my general RA's and explain how I do it...... is that clearer? Or clear as mud lol?

Jen x