PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted letter

lorettacritchet
11-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I don't want to confuse anyone so sorry if not explaining myself properly, I am still trying to get use to Ofsted talk even after two years!

Got an Ofsted letter as I am sure everyone has. Two queries:

1) EYFS training - I didn't have any particular EYFS based training apart from the Introduction to Child practice certificate - part of the level 3 - should I have undergone another part of training? When I had my ofsted inspection she didn't say anything so I am assuming it's all ok?

2) Childminding assistant - I wanted to clear this up.... we can leave them alone with kids for two hours in a day, this means I can leave them at my home when I do school runs provided I have parents permission? Before didn't we have to take the assistant with us on school runs? and evidence to prove this would be via a tracker?

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't want to confuse anyone so sorry if not explaining myself properly, I am still trying to get use to Ofsted talk even after two years!

Got an Ofsted letter as I am sure everyone has. Two queries:

1) EYFS training - I didn't have any particular EYFS based training apart from the Introduction to Child practice certificate - part of the level 3 - should I have undergone another part of training? When I had my ofsted inspection she didn't say anything so I am assuming it's all ok?

My council did training and yours will have to now. You have to do it within 6 months. If you were ICP then this was a while ago as the new training for new minders in my area was brought in January 2011.

2) Childminding assistant - I wanted to clear this up.... we can leave them alone with kids for two hours in a day, this means I can leave them at my home when I do school runs provided I have parents permission? Before didn't we have to take the assistant with us on school runs? and evidence to prove this would be via a tracker?

There wasn't ever guidance on assistants apart from "a long time" but you are correct about as of Sept 12

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Do the assistants also have to have a first aid certificate if left alone with children? And yes that introduction certificate is the thing they mean so don't panic about doing any more training!

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes Assistants have to have the full 12 hour First Aid course before they can be left alone with minded children.

After 1st September they can only be left alone for a total of 2 hours a day with parents permission.

So yes they can be left as long as school runs take no longer than a total of two hours a day.

sarah707
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Do the assistants also have to have a first aid certificate if left alone with children? And yes that introduction certificate is the thing they mean so don't panic about doing any more training!

Yes assistants do need first aid to be left alone - it's in the EYFS. The letter does not supersede info in the EYFS just clarifies for those who are unsure -

Requirement 3.24 - At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings.

And yes - the bit about training has caused a few people to panic. It it referring to the pre-registration training that now must be done prior to registration.

Hth :D

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks Sarah - I'm going to remove my hubby as my assistant on Monday - i only needed him for two months til my own baby was over one and now i can be let loose with the lot of them - aren't you glad you live away from me!!??:D

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks Sarah - I'm going to remove my hubby as my assistant on Monday - i only needed him for two months til my own baby was over one and now i can be let loose with the lot of them - aren't you glad you live away from me!!??:D

I would keep him on in case you need him. It can be very useful if he is around and it doesn't cost you anything to leave him registered. We go months when my husband does 'do' anything :laughing:

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I know Ricky but he knows nothing about the EYFS and cares less and I'm overdue inspection and if they ask him questions I'm definitely going under!!!!:blush:

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I know Ricky but he knows nothing about the EYFS and cares less and I'm overdue inspection and if they ask him questions I'm definitely going under!!!!:blush:

No my dh has never been present at inspection and is not expected to be, he works full time as a teacher. Lol his knowledge of EYFS is well shall we say limited. Send him out for the day when you have your inspection. They will not expect to see him if you don't employ him and he has a full time job.

I have had 3 inspections since dh was registered and I have never been asked about him once.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Good idea - I will do it!:D

Playmate
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Assistants always come in useful. I have DD and DS registered, they haven't got a cue about EYFS but both are excellent Goffers if either hubby or I have to go our for some reason :D

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
As assistants they do need to know about Safeguarding and your policies

I would leave him on and make him scarce when you are inspected.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
As assistants they do need to know about Safeguarding and your policies

I would leave him on and make him scarce when you are inspected.

Hmmmm..... that's the bit he isn't very clued up about and I wasn't too botherd as i literally needed him around for numbers as I had my own baby at ten months (our baby!) and mindee aged 8 months and a three year old and didn't want to do a massive RA and apply for variation for two under ones when it was easier to register him as assistant for a couple of months - he's very good at inspections usually and entertains our children whilst i do my thang.... perhaps he should take them out for the day this time around!!!!!!

Thanks, Jen x

rickysmiths
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Hmmmm..... that's the bit he isn't very clued up about and I wasn't too botherd as i literally needed him around for numbers as I had my own baby at ten months (our baby!) and mindee aged 8 months and a three year old and didn't want to do a massive RA and apply for variation for two under ones when it was easier to register him as assistant for a couple of months - he's very good at inspections usually and entertains our children whilst i do my thang.... perhaps he should take them out for the day this time around!!!!!!

Thanks, Jen x

Sounds like a plan to me :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks, Jen x

Remember that he won't be on your certificate as of sept so at inspection you can say "no assistants at the moment" and then when you need him use him as you have everything in place

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Remember that he won't be on your certificate as of sept so at inspection you can say "no assistants at the moment" and then when you need him use him as you have everything in place

Love it - when did you lot get so inventive/devious/resourceful??!!

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Love it - when did you lot get so inventive/devious/resourceful??!!

When I got married :)

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 05:20 PM
:laughing::laughing:

Oh I see - it's filed under 'things to say when DH asks if a resource is new'?!