PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemma

loopyloopy
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
If you knew somebody was working for cash in hand and not declaring it as well as having a full tome job, would you do anything about it. I know somebody who is but she is a family friend. It really gets my back up as myself and many others work blummin hard for what we have and she boasts about her tax free earnings which makes me want to report her but if I got found out I'd be in the bad books to say the least. I cant help but think its very wrong

What do you think, what would you do if anything?

wendywu
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Simply the answer would be NO and certainly not to a friend. :panic:

Pipsqueak
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
No I wouldn't

Many of us do a little extra at times....
And if she has a FT job she is still paying into the system!:cool:

catlyn
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
No I wouldnt ......how many of us are totally whiter than white in all aspects of our lives?? ...and if shes a friend then ABSOLUTELY NOT

Ripeberry
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Its not as if she was on benefits and pocketing cash. The very rich get away with paying less tax than they should. Why should we the 'little fish' have to give all our money to the tax man?

loopyloopy
06-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks for your replies, I guess I'm too honest for my own good. She's not a personal friend of mine and this is not the first time she has been dis-honest. It was only 6 months ago she was arrested for fraud and she still hasn't learnt. I know we are not all perfect and I'm not by any stretch but I can honestly say I have never taken or kept any money that I have not taken/received correctly. I always check my change in the shops and give back any change thats not mine. The girl in question is always scheming and taking what's not hers and it winds me up. I'm a very honest person and maybe my downfall is thinking everybody should be too :blush:

Thanks again xx

rickysmiths
06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
What about all those who babysit?

margimum
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
If she's working full time and paying tax etc on that money, she is paying into the system already. She can't be doing so much extra and is working for it, not stealing from anyone!

loopyloopy
06-08-2012, 08:36 AM
If she's working full time and paying tax etc on that money, she is paying into the system already. She can't be doing so much extra and is working for it, not stealing from anyone!

From the work she did last weekend that she has not declared she earnt just short of £400

loopyloopy
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
What about all those who babysit?

True but then babysitting is not a big earner from what I believe, she is making what somebody in a part time job would get more or less. I personally don't think it's right

FussyElmo
06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
From the work she did last weekend that she has not declared she earnt just short of £400

Oooh what does she do? To earn that kind of money in a weekend :)

gegele
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry but she has a job and then has a 2nd job! she's paying her tax and does a bit more.

I don't understand what your problem with it is. are you sure she doesn't fill in a tax form? are you sure she's not self employed? what does it change to you?

she's not selling drugs to children or harming baby seals by working!

loopyloopy
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry but she has a job and then has a 2nd job! she's paying her tax and does a bit more.

I don't understand what your problem with it is. are you sure she doesn't fill in a tax form? are you sure she's not self employed? what does it change to you?

she's not selling drugs to children or harming baby seals by working!

Ok I was only after opinions and I am very sure she is not self employed or full in a tax form. It bothers me because the elderly grandparents in the family keeps bailing her out with money not knowing she earns a genuine wage and then the money on the side. Just to clarify she is a very a dishonest person who thinks nothing of ripping her own family off, lies through her teeth to people I care about and no she doesn't sell drugs to kids, she buys them for herself and her boyfriend.

Bushpig
06-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I am 100% above board and it grates me when people are dishonest, whether tax/tax credits et al. Sad case of what many people are like today. Nothing much you can do about it though. She's been caught for fraud before, so they'll have their eye on her.

rickysmiths
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
If you are upset and she has committed Fraud in the past then report her to HMRC.

bunyip
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Bushpig;1138932]I am 100% above board and it grates me when people are dishonest, whether tax/tax credits et al. Sad case of what many people are like today. [QUOTE]

I agree.

Sad state of affairs when we get to the 14th post on a CM board before someone says that dishonesty is wrong.

So, what do we teach the children....?

:(

loopyloopy
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Bushpig;1138932]I am 100% above board and it grates me when people are dishonest, whether tax/tax credits et al. Sad case of what many people are like today. QUOTE]

I agree.

Sad state of affairs when we get to the 14th post on a CM board before someone says that dishonesty is wrong.

So, what do we teach the children....?

:(

Thank you, I was sat wondering if I was wrong for thinking that dishonesty is wrong and feeling guilty for it. I am a very straight up and down person and I pride myself in being very honest, even of it does me no favours and this is the way I am bringing my children up. It's fraud and not right at all. I feel relieved that I am not on my own for thinking so

Bushpig
06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
You are not alone... it's pretty black and white for me. I am surprised so many think it's okay to commit fraud.

My own father (RIP) was a fraudster of note, went to prison etc. and his dishonest nature covered all areas in his life - personal, business etc. It's an attitude of dishonesty.... of self entitlement.

It's wrong. And we, as childcare providers, should be advocating honesty in ALL areas of our lives.

*gets off soap box* :littleangel:

bunyip
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for sticking your necks out loopyloopy and bushpig. :littleangel: I'm relieved there are some others out there who think that raising children begins with role models. Just waiting to get flamed for this now.

To those who think it's OK to get away with whatever you can, just because rich people are worse: well, you can sign me up for the revolution any day you're ready to start, but until then I don't intend to hide my deeds behind those of others because they're 'worse' than I am.

If you think it's just a question of degree (which, personally, I don't) then I've just done the calculations. If the person in question is earning £400 for a weekend, working every weekend for a year, they're taking more in a year for that alone than both I and my dw put together. And on top of that they have the 'proper' job that they probably only pay tax on 'cos it's by PAYE and they have no choice.

Bushpig
06-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Why would you get flamed? You are right to feel the way you do :)

If we all justified our own behaviour and actions by what other people said/did... I think that sad and a poor excuse.

There are laws and rules for a reason, and we need to adhere by them... and do the right thing.. no matter what Joe Bloggs down the road is/isn't doing.

And lots of tax dodging by many small businesses country-wide, leads to a LARGE amount of tax not being paid. :panic:

YOU do the right thing. That's all that matters.:thumbsup: