PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health Checks

Bexboo1
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how often Environmental Health do checks?

And, how long do we need to keep records for on fridge temps etc

Thanks

Bex

sarah707
05-08-2012, 02:01 PM
It depends where you live - they don't check round here at the moment.

You need to ring them and ask I think!

I keep documents for 6 months as advised during my food hygiene course... but I think advice varies so I'd ask locally about that too.

Hth :D

Bexboo1
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks Sarah, I will give them a ring tomorrow and check :laughing:

moggy
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I do not keep records of fridge temp, it is not a requirement. I have never been checked by env health, I just registered with them when I started- all depends on your area.

karen m
05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I had check last month before that it was 2009, she checked fridge temp by was not told i had to keep a log. I told her i was moving within next few months and she said she would need to come to new house to do a check

miffy
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
It depends where you live - in some areas they don't visit at all.

Miffy xx

mum24
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
I was checked about a year ago. I always do keep fridge checks, but I was told by the officer that while it was good practice I did not need to.
She was very relaxed, very friendly, had just a quick look around my kitchen, did not look in cupboards or in the fridge.
She did ask if I had taken any training, which I have, and then asked me a couple of questions about how I checked food was cooked through, (I use a food thermometer always, after a family member had a bad bout of food poisoning while away from home home, years ago), but said that she would be happy if the food was 'steaming' hot and visually checked.
I was worried before she came, I had a days notice, but she was very very friendly.

mrstom
06-08-2012, 02:18 PM
We don't have to register in my area either, however I wanted to get it in writing to cover my back (the inspector at my pre-reg inspection said I DID need to be registered) I emailed our local environmental health dept to check. They don't come out to inspect but they taken my details to put on their 'file' and gave me this response (which I've printed out to put with my paperwork)

"The governing body for food safety, the Food Standards Agency are currently under-going a consultation on whether childminders should have to register with their Environmental Health Department. The current view is that they do, depending on what type of food they serve, however they are now asking whether the existing requirements for registration is overburdensome (given the size and sometimes low-risk; if only providing snacks/fruit etc) and whether there are other ways of ensuring food safety for example, completing a food hygiene course as part of the requirements for registering as a childminder".

This was back in May and they said they'd send out registration forms to me should it be deemed that full registration is needed.

I've not had anything to date but I'm working through the 'Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders' pack.

Hope this helps?!

Maritte16
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Sorry to intrude mrstom - I am newly reg childminder and wonder too about this food hygiene training as my local one don't do it. Sorry for being nosey but where you get the Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders' pack??

Thank you

mrstom
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Sorry to intrude mrstom - I am newly reg childminder and wonder too about this food hygiene training as my local one don't do it. Sorry for being nosey but where you get the Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders' pack??

Thank you

I ordered mine from here

http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

(hope the link works!)

Maritte16
08-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that mrstom! Will bookmark the website and look tomo.
:)