PDA

View Full Version : Replacing number?

lorettacritchet
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi, is it possible that I can replace my daughter's EYFS space/number with another child if she is witha relative all day?

I have an allowance of 3 EYFS including my daughter but there are days when she isn't here because she is with her aunty (at times overnight) and then with her nan. She generally doesn't come back until after the children have gone. Technically is that a space I can bring another child in if I know my daughter won't be at home?

Karaza
05-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I am afraid not you must stick to the numbers on your certificate. From September there is a bit more flexibility with the exceptions that are available which replace variations but ultimately you can not use your daughters place.

blue bear
05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
There was another post on here about this, I'm sure ther Ewan's reference in the new eyfs that if your child is with someone else and your arrangements are guaranteed not to fall through (like if child poorly they can't come back into your care as it would take you over numbers) then you could use your child's place for an eyfs child. You really need to check this with ofsted, as you will be responsible if things go wrong.

FussyElmo
05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
No unfortunetly your child will always be counted in your numbers you will not be able to replace her with another child.

Afraid its a case your child your responsabilty concerning yournumbers :thumbsup:

muffins
05-08-2012, 08:49 AM
No because you are still responsible for her in an emergancy so she is still in your care even though she isn't with you!

sarah707
05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I have had confirmation from Ofsted that, from September, there will be some flexibility on this one (there is not at present).

My question to Ofsted was -

The childminder has a child / children of their own within their under 8 ratio.

Their child / children stays with their father regularly during the working week or might be going on holiday for a week.

Can the childminder fill their child’s space? Or are the childminder’s own children subject to different rules from childminded children?

Ofsted's reply was -

The EYFS does not make any distinction between any times the childminder’s own children will be with them or with someone else.

It simply says that the numbers of children include the childminder’s own children and any other children for whom they are responsible.

It does not indicate the children must be present.

Ofsted's reply goes on to explain that Ofsted have not normally allowed childminders to replace their own child because if the arrangement falls through and their own child has to return to the provision - it leads to problems with the childminder being over their numbers.

Ok so far?? Pretty logical.

However, under the revised EYFS childminders may make these decisions for themselves.

So you are responsible for deciding whether or not you replace your own child with a childminded child.

BUT - before doing it you must consider carefully whether the arrangements for your own children are totally secure - whether it is likely that your child will be sent home or not.

It is is possible that your own child might come back and need you to care for them (taking you over numbers) you should not change the conditions of registration to replace your own child.

This covers situations such as when your child falls ill at nursery or has an accident while with their childminder and is sent home.

I hope that clarifies :D

Karaza
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Thats very interesting as I have been told completely the opposite. I even spoke to the compliance team and they also state that you can not do that. They also said it is not up to them it is up to the dfe they just work within the framework and ensure those they inspect are too. I will email them again and see what response I get. They specifically told me you could not do that.

Bluebell
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I registered my hubby as my 'assistant' so on the days my hubby doesn't work he can either take our boys out for the day or be home with us but I can increase my numbers. I only did this because I have siblings who come in the holiday and the younger one is in the EY group and my younger son who is soon starting school is sitll in EY group so I would be over my numbers and this resolved it.
I know it seems extreme but if enabled me to do it all correctly. I have always understood it to be your children are always in your own numbers but new rules seem a bit more flexible. I guess say if you are split from partner and child lives there 3 days a week it is a bit of a shame to still include them in your numbers on that day when they not even there and that is a pretty permanent arrangement.

blue bear
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Thats very interesting as I have been told completely the opposite. I even spoke to the compliance team and they also state that you can not do that. They also said it is not up to them it is up to the dfe they just work within the framework and ensure those they inspect are too. I will email them again and see what response I get. They specifically told me you could not do that.

It's more likely Sarah's information is up to date, ofsted have yet to role out the training to their people including the compliance department. The dfe answer I got leaned more towards Sarah's take on the situation maybe it is worth you e mailing them too?