PDA

View Full Version : Family medicines storage

Wheelybug
03-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Just been reading through the new EYFS, page 16 where it talks about staff medication on the premises being securely stored and out of reach of children. Medicines for my own family I store in one of the top cupboards in the kitchen, but not in any form of locked box. I'm now doubting whether this is considered 'securely stored', what does everyone else have in place?

Thanks

Cathy
www.pre-schoolplay.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/CathysChildminding

Stapleton83
03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I do exactly the same, I have the family medicine in the highest cupboard in the kitchen which I have to stretch to reach at 5' 10" so my view is that it is secure.

I am not about to put it all in a locked cupboard, although I suppose I could put a child lock on it. Not sure if that helps or not.

Sam x

sarah707
03-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Mine is in the bathroom behind 2 locks - a cupboard lock and a medicine cabinet lock.

Children's medicine needs to be within reach in case of emergency especially inhalers, Epipens etc so you need to think how you can store that securely as well.

You could put a lock on your kitchen cupboard... or move it somewhere more secure... or put a lockable cabinet inside your kitchen cupboard...

Hth :D

Wheelybug
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'm lucky I don't have any children with inhalers, epipens or anything really! Think I might put a child lock on the cupboard or get some sort of lockable cabinet that I can put inside the cupboard. My Osted inspection is due this month, so probably will be one of the first under the new EYFS and just trying to make sure I haven't missed anything!

Cathy

Boris
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Mine is in a high kitchen cupboard and children only have supervised access to the kitchen anyway so would that be enough??

rickysmiths
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I have some in a lock and lock tub in a high kitchen cupboard, no lock and soem in my en suite in a high cup board not locked.

In 18 years I have never had medication in a locked cupboard and it has never been a problem.

singingcactus
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
The only meds in this house is paracetamol or ibuprofen. These I store in a really high cupboard - that I need a high step to reach, and they are in tamper proof blister packs. In my kitchen where kids do not go unsupervised. This is the way I do it, and it is the way I will continue to do it. I used to keep them in the lockable medicine cabinet upstairs, but that is not the best solution here as the cabinet is low level and the older kids are allowed upstairs. Despite it being a lockable one, it is a basic lock that I am pretty certain a determined school age child could open with a bobby pin and paperclip :)
Best solution for me is downstairs in an unreachable cabinet under my constant supervision.

blue bear
04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Mine are in a lockable cupboard I. The kitchen, the rest I keep in the loft, not locked but no way are children going to be able to get ladder from shed, carry it upstairss and get into the loft.

miffy
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Just been reading through the new EYFS, page 16 where it talks about staff medication on the premises being securely stored and out of reach of children. Medicines for my own family I store in one of the top cupboards in the kitchen, but not in any form of locked box. I'm now doubting whether this is considered 'securely stored', what does everyone else have in place?

Thanks

Cathy

I seem to remember that when the EYFS came in there was something in it about medicines being stored in a locked cabinet but that was later removed. I don't keep family medicines in a locked cabinet but they are out of reach/sight of mindees and in an area where mindees do not have unsupervised access (included in my risk assessments) so I would hope that would be sufficient.

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
05-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Mine are kept in a kitchen wall cupboard! Always have been and I have been a cm for 15 years!!!

Blue bear - why do you keep them in the loft if you don't mind me asking? :confused:

blue bear
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Mine are kept in a kitchen wall cupboard! Always have been and I have been a cm for 15 years!!!

Blue bear - why do you keep them in the loft if you don't mind me asking? :confused:

We have oral morphine and other stuff which I don't like to take risks with

Chimps Childminding
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
We have oral morphine and other stuff which I don't like to take risks with

Ahh - sorry not being nosey :blush: just imagined me having to crawl round my messy loft looking for the paracetamol - but I understand :blush: