PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a hard copy LJ?

pinkellifun
31-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I originally planned to type up a learning journey (my choice btw!) and then print it out and keep it in a folder for each child.

But....I was thinking, do I actually have to have a hard copy of a LJ? I was wondering whether I could type it all up, and email it across to the parents if they want to see it (the file is password protected).

Do the inspectors expect to see a hard copy or could I show them it on the computer?

It would make my life a bit easier?

Your thoughts......?

jellybean cc
31-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Not sure of the answer but i was told the LJs should have examples of the childrens work in it and when i was inspected the OFSTED lady did chat about the child's work in mine. This might be a bit hard if you only use the computer to record LJ's

Chimps Childminding
31-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Personally, I like having a hard copy. The children quite often ask to look at it if I have it out adding something to it. Especially the ones who are now heading to school and have been with me for years, they love to look back at the photos! I know you could do this on the computer, but I prefer a folder they can flick through!!

moggy
01-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Mine are all online, I photograph any paintings etc and send the originals home! I have asked parents if they want paper prints of LJ but all said they were happy with online. They give me a memory stick sometimes so i can give them all the photos as they love them and want to print their own out. I worked with a mindee's playgroup and they too were very happy with online. I only have folders for the hand written all-about-me pages from when lindee starts and my termly progress review which i handwrite together with parents and photograph to add online. There is no requirement for 'paper' records that I can see. Not sure about the 2-year check but that is easy enough to print out.

jumping j
01-08-2012, 06:52 AM
all my obs are on my computer in individual files, I print them off every 6 months (ish) and put them in a folder, I take pictures of children's work to put in and send the originals home.
If I sent parents an email with the LJ's in they wouldn't even get opened!:angry:

zippy
01-08-2012, 07:03 AM
You don't need a hard copy although id back up lj to online data storage system like sky drive to ward against computer malfunctions, also be aware that inspector might ask you questions like what if your parent doesn't have Internet access etc. you can take photos of lo's work and put them in lj rather than actual work. I'm doing all mine electronically in sept will save so much time and money.

sarah707
01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
My friend was recently slated for not having a hard copy to show the inspector which included hand written notes from parents, sharing info from other settings, child's work (she'd sent it all home) etc.

I know all inspectors are different but....

Hth :D

pinkellifun
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok, thanks everyone.

I think I may see what the parents want (it might go towards 'working with parents'?????) and go from there. I could always print one out as well as see how it goes then if I/the parents don't like it, go back to online.

Thanks for your advice.:D