PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information, HELP!!

bellacat
31-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi guys, I was hoping that maybe some of you could tell me how you share information / journals etc with other settings and parents. With my current journals I have been doing a summery report at the end of every term and then letting the parents take the journal home to enjoy over a couple of weeks. They then return it with a comment, (not that many of them do) :(. I also do a daily diary that shows what we have done during the day, food, toilet/nappys etc. In Sept i have 2 children starting preschool and I am worried about how to share their information. As for sharing with the parents. The new EYFS states that you should do an assessment at age 2 and at the end of the EYFS. Does that mean that i do not need to do a summery every term?

I am always told that i do too much, so i really want to streamline things.

Cheers :)

XX

sarah707
31-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Ofsted are looking for progression of a child's learning - you can show that best by continuing your regular summaries - 6 monthly or annually perhaps.

Yes a 2 year progress check... childminders are not responsible for the 5 year ELGs - those are done in school.

Hth :D

karensmart4
31-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I name my daily diaries 'L's Sharing Book' and put a note in the front cover to say what the book is intended for.. e.g. all parties to use and share information, concerns, news, upcoming topics etc.

Because of the new guidelines the pre-schools might have their own sharing books in place for Sept or something similar, ask Mum to check on the first day and let you know.

As for 2 yr old and end of EYFS assessments, I think it's nice to do a small write-up about children's progress now and then but I think it's up to the individual, I don't think I will be doing full assessments each term any more but will do something.

Hope that all makes sense :)

bellacat
31-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Sarah that does help. How would you share info with another setting though? I was thinking of using a separate A5 notepad and just jotting down my obs in it. This can then be left in the childs bag and hopefully taken out and looked at in pre school. :huh:

bellacat
31-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I name my daily diaries 'L's Sharing Book' and put a note in the front cover to say what the book is intended for.. e.g. all parties to use and share information, concerns, news, upcoming topics etc.

Because of the new guidelines the pre-schools might have their own sharing books in place for Sept or something similar, ask Mum to check on the first day and let you know.

As for 2 yr old and end of EYFS assessments, I think it's nice to do a small write-up about children's progress now and then but I think it's up to the individual, I don't think I will be doing full assessments each term any more but will do something.

Hope that all makes sense :)

Thanks Karen, that is a very good idea. I really wish that there was just one way to do it then we would all know whether we were doing it right. Hey ho. xxx

karensmart4
31-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry don't want to jump in if you're asking Sarah.... but I don't put actual obs in my sharing books just a general overview of the time at my setting that day. I also put in things like A..... managed to ride the bike all by himself today wow well done, if anything significant happens :)

funemnx
31-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I take the children's journals into playschool and introduce myself to their keyworker, I give her the journal and ask her to look through it and write a comment. I also nab the children's journals from playschool and read/comment so that it's a two way thing. Most of my parents don't comment and are happy for me to share with playschool but the keyworkers do - it works for them because it shows they are working with other settings too! :thumbsup: