PDA

View Full Version : Medicines

Paula1974
31-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I have just had a heated discussion with a parent about cream for her 8 year old daughter.

The child has what appears to be a heat rash, the parent has said that she will give the child some cream to keep in her bag just in case its irritating her. I have said that I am not happy about this as other children could get hold of the cream the parents response was "well they should not be in her bag, what are you going to do check her pockets and bag everytime she comes to you?).

I managed to hold my composure and stated as per my policy and procedure medicines need to be clearly labelled with the child's name, preferably prescribed by a doctor, although I do understand that medicines are not always prescribed ones, and written permission needs to be given. The parent said the child could put the cream on herself, where do I stand with this, I am not happy for it to be in a bag and am asking for written permission for the child to apply medicine, and I will store the medicine in an appropriate place. The parent asked me what is an appropriate age for her child to be in control of her medicine whilst in my care, to which I replied, never, medicines should always be stored in a correct manner and out of sight and reach of other children.

Sorry for the rant I feel so cross for the parent putting me in a difficult position, your thoughts would be greatly received.

Paula1974

lorettacritchet
31-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Refer her to your policies and procedures. No child is old enough to decide when to put on cream. The mother should put the cream on the child before she turns up and after pick up in my opinion.

I have just had a heated discussion with a parent about cream for her 8 year old daughter.

The child has what appears to be a heat rash, the parent has said that she will give the child some cream to keep in her bag just in case its irritating her. I have said that I am not happy about this as other children could get hold of the cream the parents response was "well they should not be in her bag, what are you going to do check her pockets and bag everytime she comes to you?).

I managed to hold my composure and stated as per my policy and procedure medicines need to be clearly labelled with the child's name, preferably prescribed by a doctor, although I do understand that medicines are not always prescribed ones, and written permission needs to be given. The parent said the child could put the cream on herself, where do I stand with this, I am not happy for it to be in a bag and am asking for written permission for the child to apply medicine, and I will store the medicine in an appropriate place. The parent asked me what is an appropriate age for her child to be in control of her medicine whilst in my care, to which I replied, never, medicines should always be stored in a correct manner and out of sight and reach of other children.

Sorry for the rant I feel so cross for the parent putting me in a difficult position, your thoughts would be greatly received.

Paula1974

sarah707
31-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Even self administered cream needs to be stored safely and permission in place / supervision etc.

Tell parent the story of the child who was left in charge of travel sickness pills and ended up very seriously ill in hospital - she was 7 :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/17/schoolgirl-chelsie-toms-hallucinates-travel-pill-overdose_n_1678613.html

Hth x

Paula1974
31-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you for your comments, especially the report Sarah, that definately needs showing to the parent.

Paula:)

rickysmiths
31-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Any medication that enters my house comes into my control and is written down and the parent (until a child reaches 18) signs a permission form.

I have no problem the child self administering under my supervision.

The cream would be stored in a suitably secure place while in my home.

If the parent didn't agree to this they would have three options:

1. Apply the cream before the child came to my to my home.
2. Don't use the cream while in my care.
3. Keep the child at home until the Heat Rash or what ever has cleared enough to not require cream.