PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had an MRI scan before?

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I have an MRI booked for tomorrow and I am bricking it. I am such a baby... seriously, I have a phobia of needles and I am claustrophobic :panic: The lady who booked me in for the scan said I need a cannula for the dye then said "it takes 30 minutes"... Actually in that little tube for 30 MINUTES! :panic: My hands are literally shaking right now just thinking about it.

If anyone has gone through this please, tell me it is not as scary, or enclosed as I am thinking it is... or at least tell me the 30 minutes goes really quickly.

I am not worried about the results or anything like that... just worried about the actual scan itself and the flaming needle...:(

sue m
30-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I had one last year Emma and it was fine for me but I'm not claustrophobic fortunately. I was in the machine for about 30 mins too, it is very noisy and clangy - is that a word :o, ask for ear plugs or music to be played.

I didn't have the cannula so can't comment on that.

Just breathe and try not to panic, I actually nodded off between the clangs and bangs. They will also keep asking you if you're ok so you can tell them (speak loudly) if you are or not. Think pleasant thoughts while you're in there, like laying on a beach...... :idea:

Hope it goes ok, the calmer you can keep yourself, the better. x

angeldelight
30-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I haven't but hubby had one a few weeks ago

He hates needles too

He said he was cancelling on the morning he was due to have it,but he's glad he went now he said it was ok and nothing like he was expecting.The time went quicker than he thought it would too.

Just think about your wildest fantasies when you are there let yourself drift,or imagine yourself kissing the doctor :laughing:let's hope doc is male :laughing:

Good luck Emma

Angel xxx

WibbleWobble
30-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Right, don't worry. It is 30 mins but it's 30 mins of lying down with nothing to it close your eyes. It is noisy- think washing machine on spin. But to be honest I found it quite soothing. The iv is a pest but it is only in for 30 mins. The dye will make you feel all warm in the lady garden area and you might think you have weed yourself. You haven't. I promise. I have had lots of these and I am the biggest wimp going. You will be fine xxxxx

angeldelight
30-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Actually I did have just the MRI last year without the needle,for my leg

I was flipping petrified there is a post in greenies somewhere

I was in there ages :eek:

Its boring more than anything,staring at the ceiling booooo,counting the tiles,wondering if your time is almost up

You are in a large room and although your in the machine it's not really that bad

I promise

Xxx

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I just googled it and watch a you tube video lol. I have to go in one where you lay down flat with your lady lumps in these hole things and your face in a hole.

With regards to the dye because of my kidneys I have to drink LOADS of water so I can flush it out so if I feel I have pee'd then I probably have :blush:

Will let you know how I get on... place your bets now... will I or will I not cry like a baby lol...

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I had one a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not claustrophobic but I REALLY DON'T like enclosed spaces!!
I didn't have to have a needle.
TBH...it is enclosed...I'm not a small lady so....
I have to say, it took me quite a few minutes to breathe calmly but once I'd calmed down it was ok. Some places allow you to have your choice of misic put through to the earphones.

I was BRICKING it too...but hubby came with me(not allowed in though)He's had a few too.

It's a means to an end.
Try not to worry too much...it really isn't too bad.

BucksCM
30-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I just googled it and watch a you tube video lol. I have to go in one where you lay down flat with your lady lumps in these hole things and your face in a hole.

With regards to the dye because of my kidneys I have to drink LOADS of water so I can flush it out so if I feel I have pee'd then I probably have :blush:

Will let you know how I get on... place your bets now... will I or will I not cry like a baby lol...

You'll be fine!
Sending good vibes ~~~~~~~~~:D

Mrs Scrubbit
30-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I had one a few months ago, never had one before either, and also hate the thought of being enclosed and not being able to make a 'quick exit' but apart from the clangs and bangs I really did ,to my suprise,find it ok you just need to think lovely thoughts
hope all goes well and you find it the same x

Bushpig
30-07-2012, 09:10 AM
My husband has one every 2 months or so... he is used to them now... it's boring more than anything. I would hate the confined space... but he says he tries not to think of that and think of other, nicer things... me :blush::D

You'll be fine x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
30-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi I have had a few and I had to have the dye as well last time, it is ok I just thought I have to have it done even though I didn't enjoy it very much it wasn't that bad I just kept thinking of what i was going to do when it is finished.

You will be fine and it means you get a rest for half an hour :laughing:

waterwaybabies
30-07-2012, 03:05 PM
ive had one and it is a bit noisy but the operater chatted to me on intercom all the way through and kept telling me what was coming next and for how long.x
i had a button to press that would let them know if i needed to get out fast too.x
you will be fine hun. it helped me to keep my eyes closed so i didnt feel so confined.x

doodles
30-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I had one a couple of months ago, they said it would take 30 mins but was out in 15!
You will be fine, just close your eyes and think of a sunny tropical beach somewhere :thumbsup:

ajs
30-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure it will help but I absolutely hated mine and I only had my legs in up to my waist.

I am massively claustrophobic though and needed two Valium before I would even walk through the doors.

Good luck though Emma im sure you will be fine

cathtee
30-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I've has 2 brain scans and each time they found one :laughing: Like others have said it is noisy but the lady kept telling me what was coming next and I had a button to press if i needed to get out, I get panic attacks and began to start thinking i needed to get out but calmed myself down with deep breathing and the thought that if i pressed it i would have to start over again.

Good luck and think happy thoughts:)

mrsmaggy
30-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I have an MRI booked for tomorrow and I am bricking it. I am such a baby... seriously, I have a phobia of needles and I am claustrophobic :panic: The lady who booked me in for the scan said I need a cannula for the dye then said "it takes 30 minutes"... Actually in that little tube for 30 MINUTES! :panic: My hands are literally shaking right now just thinking about it.

If anyone has gone through this please, tell me it is not as scary, or enclosed as I am thinking it is... or at least tell me the 30 minutes goes really quickly.

I am not worried about the results or anything like that... just worried about the actual scan itself and the flaming needle...:(

We can take our own cd's in to listen too whilst in there :laughing:

PixiePetal
30-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I've has 2 brain scans and each time they found one :laughing: Like others have said it is noisy but the lady kept telling me what was coming next and I had a button to press if i needed to get out, I get panic attacks and began to start thinking i needed to get out but calmed myself down with deep breathing and the thought that if i pressed it i would have to start over again.

Good luck and think happy thoughts:)

I had one on my brain too - after I had my DS 15yrs ago - they found one and said it was normal :thumbsup: at least I was normal at one point in my life :D

I don't like confined spaces and didn't like it, but it had to be done - they thought I may have had a stroke in labour as I lost use of shoulder and hip on one side :( also had CT scan

I closed my eyes, thought of my new baby , what I was going to buy him and what I wanted to have for dinner when I got out of hospital (was in nearly a week and starving!)

It didn't seem as long as they said, I tried to picture a lovely beach and almost dozed off, even with the noise!

will be thinking of you and it will soon be over. whatever it is for, I hope you get a good outcome too x

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 06:51 PM
I had one on my brain too - after I had my DS 15yrs ago - they found one and said it was normal :thumbsup: at least I was normal at one point in my life :D

I don't like confined spaces and didn't like it, but it had to be done - they thought I may have had a stroke in labour as I lost use of shoulder and hip on one side :( also had CT scan

I closed my eyes, thought of my new baby , what I was going to buy him and what I wanted to have for dinner when I got out of hospital (was in nearly a week and starving!)

It didn't seem as long as they said, I tried to picture a lovely beach and almost dozed off, even with the noise!

will be thinking of you and it will soon be over. whatever it is for, I hope you get a good outcome too x

Thank you, I had a head scan and was worried, but it was ok as it was only my head, the rest of my body was "free" I think the fact the whole of my body is going in to that small space make me feel so anxious... even typing about it and thinking about it makes my hands shake.

I am not worried about the outcome... it is early screening for breast cancer as my mum and sister were/are both in their 40's when they got diagnosed. I already had a sonogram, so not at all worried about the results... just "IT"

rachelle
30-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I have them each year for a benign brain tumour. I hate them but I get the scanner people to do a couple of things which help:
I refuse the head phones - don't like the closeness of them in a small space
I wear crocs so I can wiggle my feet and see my toes - it's strangely reassuring
I refuse the head cover - just can't do it.
The injection I have for the dye is instant
I get them to tell me how long each segment of the scan will be - most are 2 or 3 minutes and I count the seconds in my head.
I hold the panic button very tightly!

Best of luck - they are in contact with you the whole time.

Twinkles
30-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I've had a few CT scans and MRI scans over the last couple of years.
Not much more to say than has already been said. It will be noisy but you can ask for your own music to be played.

Just out of interest why are they doing an MRI instead of a CT scan ?

EmmaReed84
30-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I've had a few CT scans and MRI scans over the last couple of years.
Not much more to say than has already been said. It will be noisy but you can ask for your own music to be played.

Just out of interest why are they doing an MRI instead of a CT scan ?

I have no idea, all I know is that I am having an MRI with contrast dye, laying flat with lady lumps in these hole things and it takes 30 minutes.

I did look on google and YouTube and it said it is a new thing and perhaps better than a Mammogram. The lady on the phone who booked me in said it was a new machine... so if she means a new style machine or just it is new, I don't know?

louise
30-07-2012, 08:54 PM
You will be fine. Ds who is 8 is having his 3rd one on Thurs to check he does have an enlarged fibroid and not a low grade glioma. The last two he has been asleep but this one he has decided to stay awake for as he hated not eating. The main problem we have is that his duck (security toy) can't go in, if he could take him we wouldn't have tears. We have told him he will be in there no longer then a cd as last time it was 40mins.

Hubbie had at least his 3rd the other month, he said it was noisy but thats it.

Good luck, when do you get the results? DS is under Royal Marsden so we get them on Mon! Hubbie was London and got them this week! x