PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Conditions

Nicola_tabb
29-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi

I recently received my certificate if registration which has a condition stating that I can't care for any under 1s and that I can only care for one under 5.

I think this is because I have an 11 month old daughter and a 4 and half year old son. However I am not planning on minding till September when my 11 month old will be 13 months and my four and a half year old will have started school.

I had previously thought that from September I will be allowed to care for 2 minded under 5s which can include up to one baby. However I don't see how I can do this with this condition attached to my certificate. Do I need to contact Ofsted, or is there something else that I need to do? I am worried that I will be uninsured to care for more children/parents won't be willing to leave their children with me with this condition on my registration.

Please help, I am very new to childminding and this could really affect the viability of my business.

Thank you in advance.

Carol M
29-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Your certificate is correct for the time it has been issued. Don't worry,from September 2012 and the new EYFS you will be able to have a baby in your care when your child turns 1 and another when your son is attending full time school. The Revised EYFS states how many children a childminder can care for and we must abide by that, so you will be able to have in your care 6 children under 8, of which 3 may be 5-8 yrs and 3 in the early years age range (0-5) unless Ofsted have imposed restrictions on your numbers possibly due to the space you have or your health etc. You must then include your own children in these numbers.
There is currently alot of discussion on here regarding variations from Sept as this still does not seem to be clear.
Happy Minding :)
Carol xx

lorettacritchet
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok I am totally and utterly confused again re: numbers allowed. Are you saying Carol that if someone has only been granted to have 2 in the EYFS and 2 school children then all of a sudden they would be entitled to have a total of 6 children under 8 (of which 3 may be 5-8 yrs and 3 in the early years age range (0-5)) Isn't that classed as new business if you never had those numbers before?

Your certificate is correct for the time it has been issued. Don't worry,from September 2012 and the new EYFS you will be able to have a baby in your care when your child turns 1 and another when your son is attending full time school. The Revised EYFS states how many children a childminder can care for and we must abide by that, so you will be able to have in your care 6 children under 8, unless Ofsted have imposed restrictions on your numbers possibly due to the space you have or your health etc. You must then include your own children in these numbers.
There is currently alot of discussion on here regarding variations from Sept as this still does not seem to be clear.
Happy Minding :)
Carol xx

Carol M
03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok I am totally and utterly confused again re: numbers allowed. Are you saying Carol that if someone has only been granted to have 2 in the EYFS and 2 school children then all of a sudden they would be entitled to have a total of 6 children under 8 (of which 3 may be 5-8 yrs and 3 in the early years age range (0-5)) Isn't that classed as new business if you never had those numbers before?

No, Your numbers will still include any of your own children.
The new EYFS states that you will be able to care for a maximum of 6 under 8yrs of which 3 in the early years age group (0-5) of which normally only 1 under 1 an 3 x 5-8yrs(in full time education, which can include 4 year olds who are in full time education), unless you have restrictions on numbers for reasons such as your health which OFSTED will still place that restriction on you. Just as it is now :) You will be able to consider an exception to this rule ( a variation) in exceptional circumstances for existing children and families but MUST NOT ever exceed the total of 6 under 8 yrs.( unless working with an assistant)
Carol xx

lorettacritchet
04-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Hey Carol, Yeah I understand my 3 year old is included in the EYFS. If I explain at the mo I am able to have 3 EYFS and 2 full time school kids so a total of 5 under 8 and that is fine BUT I am also allowed to have 4 EYFS and 2 full time school kids so long as have an assistant with me.....now my question is would I still be able to have those 4 EYFS including my daughter IF I have the assistant with me from sept? I would think that wouldn't change but don't want to assume?

No, Your numbers will still include any of your own children.
The new EYFS states that you will be able to care for a maximum of 6 under 8yrs of which 3 in the early years age group (0-5) of which normally only 1 under 1 an 3 x 5-8yrs(in full time education, which can include 4 year olds who are in full time education), unless you have restrictions on numbers for reasons such as your health which OFSTED will still place that restriction on you. Just as it is now :) You will be able to consider an exception to this rule ( a variation) in exceptional circumstances for existing children and families but MUST NOT ever exceed the total of 6 under 8 yrs.( unless working with an assistant)
Carol xx

Penny1959
04-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Carol has given good and correct information.

When working with an assistant you need to refer to 3.41 - where it says an assistant or another childminder may care for the number of children stated in 3.40 (it has a 22 next to it which if you read the notes says - subject to any restrictions imposed by Ofsted on registration)

I know it is very hard - but each of us will have to decide for ourselves if we are complying with the EYFS 2012 and any restrictions imposed by Ofsted.

Advice given on the forum is only another childminders view based on the information in EYFS - and none of us can say 'yes' or 'no' to anything because we do not have all the details and most importantly we are not Ofsted and so have no authority to make judgments or decisions.

Penny :)