PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm doing too much

Bexboo1
29-07-2012, 06:02 PM
After an observation I always try and link it to next steps (not always) but more often than not they will have a couple of next steps.

Once I have done all more obs over the month I then try and plan those next steps into new activities etc, so there is continuity.

I also each month do an Individual Plan for each child linking into the 6 areas of development. So basically the baby I look after is in the 0-11 months bracket I take statements from the next bracket and write that on the sheet so that I can prove that I am enhancing and challenging the child. However, more often than not each month I am still putting in the same thing, if the child hasn't progressed so much, so was thinking doing one quarterly.

Do you think this is ok?

jumpinjen
29-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I have been doing them quarterly, for a child 0-11 months in the new L and D matters you could do the three prime areas only:)

Perhaps cut back to one next step per ob if obvious and try to feed them into planning the next day or week so it is an immediate response to the child and doesn't create such a paperwork burden?

I am the Queen of cutting back this week!!

Jen x

Wheelybug
29-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow I don't do that much!! I link some of my observations to next steps and use this as the basis for planning the following week, so activities focus around interests and next steps. It's not always possible to do the next steps the following week, but I generally try to do it within the next couple of weeks.
I don't do an individual plan for each child. Every 4 months when I send the Learning Journey's home, I decide on some next steps with parents, basically skills or areas of development we would like to support (sometimes using developmental statements), I look at the children's current interests when deciding these or any area of learning I feel they may be falling a bit behind in. At the most there is 4 or 5 next steps which I try to provide activities to support over the following 4 months. Mine are all very young so these next steps tend to focus on physical, psed or language development so can be covered within our normal routine without necessarily having specific activities.

Cathy
www.pre-schoolplay.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/CathysChildminding