PDA

View Full Version : Illness Procedure

lorettacritchet
29-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi, how informative is your illness procedures? Mine doesn't state much apart from that if children are ill they should stay at home...etc it doesn't state ie if kids have diahorrea or vomiting how long they should remain at home for etc. I have had a baby who didn't have a runny bum for 24 hours, I let her come back to my care and now my daughter has it so I have had to cancel work until she gets back to normal and found out the baby who had the runny bum in the first place is back with it!
This also leads me to ask how do you know if a runny bum is down to teething or a virus?

gegele
29-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi, how informative is your illness procedures? Mine doesn't state much apart from that if children are ill they should stay at home...etc it doesn't state ie if kids have diahorrea or vomiting how long they should remain at home for etc. I have had a baby who didn't have a runny bum for 24 hours, I let her come back to my care and now my daughter has it so I have had to cancel work until she gets back to normal and found out the baby who had the runny bum in the first place is back with it!
This also leads me to ask how do you know if a runny bum is down to teething or a virus?

the smell and texture of a teething bum is quite bad. it usually has mucus and is greenish and acidic :D but if you know the child is teething then it's most probably.

if baby has 2 soiled nappies in a short time and both runny, getting runnier it's not teeth!

you could name few common thing on your policy and attach a list of the time of excusion for all disease.

Wheelybug
29-07-2012, 07:15 PM
In my Sick Child policy I ask that children have a period of 24 hours where they are free of symptoms before they return - copied this from my children's schools. I also have the Health Protection Agency guidance on exclusion periods on my notice board (comes up on a google search), though don't always agree with their exclusion or lack of exclusion periods and sometimes set my own (conjunctivitus and hand foot and mouth both have no exclusion period:panic:) My Sick Child policy tends to get a bit more comprehensive each time a parent takes advantage! Last week a child arrived with a rash which I discovered when changing their nappy, turns out it was hand foot and mouth and now the baby I look after has it! I've never come across it before but now I know what it looks like! I plan on adjusting my policy this week asking that parents do not bring their child with undiagnosed symptoms and giving each child a paper copy - doubt it will have much effect though!

Cathy
www.pre-schoolplay.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/CathysChildminding

rickysmiths
29-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I have an exclusion of 48 hours after the last bout of sickness or the runs.

Ali56
30-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I have an exclusion of 48 hours after the last bout of sickness or the runs.

I do also. And I also reserve the right to exclude for conjunctivitis and hand foot and mouth. I know there is no HPA exclusions noted for these but they are both contagious. Small children and babies cannot be expected to maintain the strict hygiene levels necessary to prevent the spread of either virus.
DD is immuno-deficient and when she gets ill she can't fight it off so well.
All parents are given my policy at the start of contract along with the HPA guidelines and sign to say the accept it. My business-my rules.