PDA

View Full Version : new EYFS and child ratios

xshellbellex
25-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all

I am waiting for my new EYFS info pack from NCMA to arrive through post. I have asked a few childminders this question and nobody seems 100% sure on what our ratios are now

Old EYFS was
3 x under 5's (only one child under one)
3 x 5-8 years (inc rising 5's)
above 8 no limit belongs doesnt affect care of others

New EYFS

a friend of mine got told by ofsted inspector 6 under 8's (any ages but only one under 1) but another friend understands it as being the same as old EYFS

anyone shed any light on it? had a parent enquiry and i will have a cross over of care of 1 hour one day and 2 1/2 hours another day where i will have above my 3 under 5 years

sarah707
25-07-2012, 08:47 PM
It depends on the ages of your own children - your new certificate from September will probably say 6 under 8 (same as now) and that will include your own so if you have, for example, a 3 year old you will only be able to care for 5 more children.

There is a copy of the revised Eyfs on www.foundationyears.org.uk and there is variations information in free downloads at the top of the forum.

Hth :D

xshellbellex
25-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I dont have any of my own kids. But does the new one mean i can have say 6 3 year olds (not that i would lol) or I am only allowed 3 kids under 5 as before

stardust
25-07-2012, 08:55 PM
When I rang up as I have taken on an assistant I was told that old rations applied however I would no longer need variations via ofsted so if I had a new sibling start then I would have to decide for myself if I could accommodate this (No on is actually going to say no I cant sorry when the limits are so relaxed!)
So if I risk assessed and decided that I had the equipment and could cope I could have 4 under 5's.
So technically what they were saying was that if i my 3 under 5's all had siblings, I could take all the siblings on as long as I had risk assessed and decided I could manage.
When I said this to the man on the phone he said 'correct'

Not that it will apply to me as I can have 6 under 5's with an assistant which is all I want and all my home and sanity can manage :)

sarah707
25-07-2012, 08:55 PM
The ratio is (like now) 3 under 5 except in exceptional circumstances such as continuity of care when you can vary the conditions of your registration and make changes to your ratios.

It is all explained in the variations document in free downloads :D

CH1957
25-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I dont have any of my own kids. But does the new one mean i can have say 6 3 year olds (not that i would lol) or I am only allowed 3 kids under 5 as before

Yes, my DO has told me this is how it will work - you can have 6 3year olds.

sarah707
26-07-2012, 06:59 AM

No absolutely not!

You can change the conditions of your registration in exceptional circumstances to accommodate a child's needs for continuity of care.

You must do a risk assessment to show how you can care for each child and you must discuss it with parents.

You cannot simply go ahead and have 6 x 3 year olds - that advice is so wrong :(

bunyip
26-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Yup, I agree with Sarah's comments throughout this thread (but then she does appear to be one of those CMs who've actually taken the trouble to read the new EYFS.)

I'd add that you still need to fulfil the floorspace requirements when increasing numbers for any reason.

Also, any risk assessment has to be effective and convincing to Ofsted when they next inspect. They will check your numbers, register, etc. and I don't think that "oh, I did a risk assessment in my head and it just happened to confirm that I can do exactly what I fancy" is going cut it.

bunyip
26-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry, but I need to get this off my chest.

There are so many questions being raised about the content of new EYFS and too many rumours and misinterpretations that I seriously wonder what proportion of CMs haven't actually bothered to read it.

I was beginning to worry about this a couple of weeks ago. My fears were confirmed by listening to a CM group interrogate the local development officer, and it was obvious that a lot of them hadn't even seen the new document.

I've heard an experienced CM say that the guidelines have changed so often since she started minding, that she no longer bothers with them. Another said that if Ofsted had the nerve to change the EYFS without giving her a copy, then she didn't see why she should have to find it and read it for herself.

I've booked onto a local NCMA EYFS workshop, but am now regretting it. I asked my DO about the content, given that I have read the documents and I was really hoping it would cover detailed specifics about the changes (eg. what to include in new safeguarding policies about cameras, etc.) The best answer she could offer was that "...the workshop will probably confirm the knowledge you gained by reading the new EYFS..." So I came straight out and asked, "does that mean the workshop is aimed at CMs who can't be :censored:to read EYFS?" Reply "I couldn't possibly comment."

This all makes me rather depressed about the childcare "profession".:(

Rant end.:angry:

Childrenatheart
26-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I recently delivered a training workshop for NDNA on the revised EYFS for a day nursery in Surrey. Of the 15 staff attending (all room leaders or supervisors) 8 had not read it. So it's not just childminders. I was stunned

catlyn
26-07-2012, 10:52 AM

this is very worrying that advice like this is being given out....quality of care is bound to suffer as childminders who arent bothering to find out the new guidelines and abide by them take on more children...there will be those who are in it just for the money (I know of several in my local area who are currently over their numbers and see this revised EYFS as carte blanche to do whatever they want) and before everyone jumps on me...i know the vast majority of childminders are excellent and abide by the rules....I'm sure its the ones who dont read great forums like this, or bother to attend meetings, updates and the like that will be the ones letting the profession (and the children) down