PDA

View Full Version : confused, please help

dusky777
25-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Im not the best at paperwork, at my last inspection she told me i was doing to much and to simplfy what i was doing.

I now have a long term plan with my topics

Medium term plans the topic and how i cover all the areas like a brain storm effect?!

Then i have 4 weekly sheets so that toys get rotate for the children in on different days etc with weekly activites added.

I know what stage there all at so i just adapt things accourding and when doing next steps monitor this way.

I have a CM "friend" which says im doing it all wrong and says i should have a weekly sheet planning for each child im so confused....can anyone help?

rickysmiths
25-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm going to shock you now!

I don't do any of that and never have.

I have a folder with ideas for simple activities through the year for a range of ages. I have built it up over the years and still add to it if I find something new.

I have a sheet at the beginning of each month where I comment on how an activity has or hasn't worked, why and how I may change it next time.

I have another folder with templates and colouring sheet master copies in.

Apart from that all my planning is in the individual child's LJ in that I follow a child's interests and follow on an develop next steps.

The rest is in my head and changes from day to day and on the day because the children change, the weather changes, my mood changes etc etc. so I think it is a waste of time writing down loads of stuff that never happens.

dusky777
25-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Im not shocked as i think this is the way to do things.
When ofsted came out to me 18 months ago i had monthly rough plan of what we would do that month inc a topic and would write up a daily report of each day what we had done as well as LJ she said not to do it as all i was doing was repeating myself.
So i stopped doing a daily report and just did some weekly rotas for toys etc with my topics.
I do alot in my head you have to otherwise you will be snowed under with paper work.....My parents would rather me play with the children then write report etc...i send them pics each month and they are more than happy with that!
Saying that my daughters just finished pre school (outstanding) and there is 1 observation for the whole of last year its just a file full of quotes shes said, picture and photos...its lovely

The Juggler
25-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm with Ricky

My long term planning is a sheet that stays the same but is reviewed, not individual planning sheets.

it explains HOW I plan and says will follow the seasons, cultural festivals and children's interests to support their next steps.

Daily planning is similar, a sheet which says what our rough daily routines are and that activities will be planned round interests and next steps.

Then I have a section for planning sheets which is medium/short term and is either specific activities or a set of activies planned around a book or season. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
25-07-2012, 12:47 PM
whoops - posted twice :blush:

sarah707
25-07-2012, 05:14 PM
You need to read the inspectors guidance for the revised EYFS - if you look at the inadequate grading especially it will tell you what NOT to do if you want to get a good inspection outcome.

It's really specific that you have to show a progression of a child's learning - and the only way to do that is to observe, assess, plan individually for the child, incorporate info from parents, use teh characteristics of learning, assess regularly...

Give it a read it is Ofsted document - 120086

Hth :D