PDA

View Full Version : accidents

Bluebell
24-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi what do you need to fill in an accident and incident form for?
do you have to fill in every time a child grazes their knees for example? i don't normally fill in for minor grazes unless like yesterday child fell several times and grazed one knee twice and the other one aswell. on another time I did one and informed mum because I thought their was some grit in it that I had been unable to clean. Also a child choked while eating and was unable to cough so I gave him a slap on the back which dislodged it - I recorded this and informed dad because as I said to dad if he has a mark on his back and he says I've hit him its going to sound terrible!
Just wondered if I do need to be recording these as they are relatively common and not that serious?

sarah707
24-07-2012, 05:18 PM
You need to record everything so you are doing the right thing! :D

hectors house
24-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I made myself a minor injury form for each child for recording scrapes and grazes as I had one child who was so clumsy that I would have had to hire big yellow storage for all the accident books if we have to keep them til child is 21. Also you don't get many forms in the NCMA accident pack and it was costing a fortune.

So yes I do record each incident no matter how small because it only needs a bit of grit left in a graze to cause big problems.

Many years ago (when I childminded before - way before Ofsted), I was on holiday and another childminder did holiday cover for a mindee. The mindee was about 7 and fell off a bike and grazed her knee - the childminder cleaned it up but saw there was still grit in it as as she didn't drive suggested to mother to take child to casualty. The mother did and casualty got out 2 pieces of grit, the next day childs knee very swollen so mother took back and they took out few more pieces of grit - knee continued to swell, they diagnosed housemaids knee and said would get better! They then decided for some reason to put leg in plaster and child wasn't allowed to attend school, but this didn't help - 3 months after accident she had an operation to wash out the bone and they found 3 more pieces of grit. Made full recovery after that - she has just turned 25!

Bluebell
24-07-2012, 09:43 PM
OMG - and YUCK!
What are your minor accident forms like then? just like an A4 bit of paper where you can list date time and write very basic child fell, grazed knee, cleaned, parent informed. I can see your point that you could list a whole load relating to 1 child on 1 sheet rather than using 1 page per incident!!!
What a great idea.
Do you generalise then? Like if I had a child who fell over 3 times in the park I wouldn't remember the time of each incident by the time I got home would it be acceptable to write fell over 3 times in park AM - something like that?
Its quite a mindfield isn't it!?