PDA

View Full Version : How do I charge for this request?

rengin99
23-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi I am recently registered, and as of yet have no mindees.

I have a family coming to visit who want a day from October- not sure of an exact start date. Now I want the business but I need to be working asap. How shall I handle this? I was thinking of stipulating a definite start date, and asking for a months depost refundable at end of contract, but stipulate 50% retainer until the mindee starts? Does this sound fair?

I also have another family coming who wants a childminder from next April. The guy I spoke to seemed quite suprised I couldnt reserve his little one a space now. My advice to him was ring me nearer to the time. Does that sound ok?

Thanks

moggy
23-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I believe you can only charge a retainer if the space is available to use. If you are not registered yet (saw pre-reg on your post) then I believe you can not start charging a retainer until you are registered and available to work.
Edit: sorry, saw you say you are registered!

To be honest, if the family seem a good fit, you get on well and want the work, I would save the space on a deposit for around 2 months (I am discussing a place for an Oct start at the moment and would be happy to agree that now). Good clients are hard to find round here! But then if you think you can get someone sooner than you need to make it clear you won't wait for them... and then keep your fingers crossed.