PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to copy the early learning goals for my mindee so I can mark them off?

Npg1
23-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone. I have my firs mindee starting tomorrow, an 8 month old. I am wondering if I should print off the learning goals so I can mark them off everytime I see her doing something or is this a bit extreme? I am only having her 2 days a week.

sarah707
23-07-2012, 06:56 PM
You shouldn't mark them off - they are not a tick list - BUT you should have a copy and note when the child has achieved something new.

It is very important in the revised EYFS that you can show how a child has progressed from their starting points :D

Npg1
23-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank you.

I have the booklet. Im confused though. Do I go through the whole book and write up to show the child can do each thing or just do a few things as and when?

sarah707
23-07-2012, 07:26 PM
It's not about noting every little thing - it's about showing progression.

So you note that when a child starts with you they are lying on their back kicking their legs... you observe that they are rolling over... parents say they are pushing up on their arms... you observe that they can sit for a few seconds by themselves... parents tell you they have bought a ring for them and they enjoy sitting in it and playing... you observe that they can sit really well now... and so it goes on.

As you see the child progressing you write it up in his observations and you look at the Development Matters document and note his progress.

You also use the document to help you find ideas for things the child might like to do next... things you can do and share with parents to support his learning.

it's an ongoing process :D

Npg1
24-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Thank you for that.
Ok so I have the baby now, she is alseep so doing some paperwork. I did an observation while out walking which I wrote on a post it note to put in her learning journal. She sneezed and then laughed. Do I have to add on next steps or just use this as a random obs and link to goals?

I have also got an activity sheet to do when I start doing some activities with her

Week beginning
Learning Objective (so this would be something from the BTTM book)
Activity (explain what we did)
D I need to add next steps or not?

Thanks, just finding it bit confusing and want to do my best!

Npg1
24-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Thank you for that.
Ok so I have the baby now, she is alseep so doing some paperwork. I did an observation while out walking which I wrote on a post it note to put in her learning journal. She sneezed and then laughed. Do I have to add on next steps or just use this as a random obs and link to goals?

I have also got an activity sheet to do when I start doing some activities with her

Week beginning
Learning Objective (so this would be something from the BTTM book)
Activity (explain what we did)
D I need to add next steps or not?

Thanks, just finding it bit confusing and want to do my best!

sarah707
24-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Some obs need next steps and some don't - it depends on what you are saying.

I am not sure why you are referring to BTTM - that is outdated now - you should be using the Development Matters guidance :D

Npg1
24-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Sorry I forgot the name of them, when I was at college doing my NNEB it was the learning outcomes and then it changed and now its changed again! Yes Development matters! Thanks