PDA

View Full Version : Camera Policy Help

starlight01
22-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi
I'm currently writing a camera policy, but I'm not sure what to put in it it. Can I keep the pictures I take of the children on my pc? they would only be used for observation purposes. Thanks :)

miss mopple
22-07-2012, 08:23 PM
You need to be registered with the ICO then yes, you can store them on your pc. You need to register with them if you use a digital camera regardless of whether you upload them or not.

For your policy think about how you handle the photographs to keep them safe- do you delete them/email them/ have password protected phone and pc etc. Would you challenge anyone trying to take photos of the children? Do you have permissions in place etc

Hope that helps a bit x

blue bear
22-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I googled mobile phone policy for childminders and stumbled upon Sarah's blog, she has written some really useful information about mobile phone/camera policies.

I also looked at advice from various counties, Devon say no photos to be taken with mobile phones, hillingdon (London) says delete after print and one for Kent says it would be silly to ban mobile phones for photos as this in itself does not keep children safe (not them words exactly) all say delete from card or pc after printing, thing is I store mine on iPad as a digital photo frame, can we not do that any more (or not good practice?)
To be honest I'm struggling with it but have emailed my d/o who is fab and hope she will shine some light on it.

starlight01
22-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks a lot that really helps, I think I will research a Lil bit more.

sarah707
22-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Here is the blog I wrote which blue bear is referring to - I hope you find it a useful starting point :D

http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/cameras-childminders-and-eyfs.html

Rubybaby
23-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I've also been struggling a bit with how to write this policy...thanks for sharing your ideas Sarah...very thought provoking and a great help x
I think I will rewrite Safeguarding now... although I do have a bit of a mad question....
Parents give their permission for their child's photos to be taken for use in the LJ's...but if another minded child happens to be in the same photo during an activity, I imagine we'd need further permission for this from both/all parents? I haven't had this problem before but want to know what I'm doing for September , when I'll be minding another child, and how to write a policy which covers this.
Any ideas anyone?

sarah707
23-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I've also been struggling a bit with how to write this policy...thanks for sharing your ideas Sarah...very thought provoking and a great help x
I think I will rewrite Safeguarding now... although I do have a bit of a mad question....
Parents give their permission for their child's photos to be taken for use in the LJ's...but if another minded child happens to be in the same photo during an activity, I imagine we'd need further permission for this from both/all parents? I haven't had this problem before but want to know what I'm doing for September , when I'll be minding another child, and how to write a policy which covers this.
Any ideas anyone?

Your permission should cover things like this - some parents want their child's face covered if it's in another child's LJ :D