PDA

View Full Version : Learning journal/ Observations help please

Npg1
21-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Hi. Well I have just become registered and have an 8 month old baby starting on tuesday! (just in time!)

I have a couple of questions. I am going to keep a scrap book for the baby which will be rough and ready! In it I will put any work/ pictures/ painting she does, along with photos and I am going to add into it a section for observations.

Now, my observation sheet is going to be on an a4 sheet with each of the learning areas sectioned off so I can jot down an observation as and when. Will this be ok? Do I have to go more in depth in these as they are spontanous obs by writing how they are linked to area of learning?

I am having her 2 days a week, do I need to do any other types of obs on her?

Then activities...... Do I need to do planned activities and write them up?

How many obs do I need to do/ planned activities based on me having her 2 days a week?

Thanks

sarah707
21-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I use a loose leaf file and put in observations and assessments... they lead on to individual planning.

Planning for that age will be linked closely to routines through the day with notes about anything the child is doing at home and with you, on outings etc.

Hth :D

blue bear
21-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Obs should be based on lo achieving and learning, so if you see something new or something is not progressing at the expected rate.
Children do not learn at a prescribed rate and so can't say how many obs to do in a week, some weeks you will need to do loads others none.
I do mostly one line obs with more I depth ones if the style of obs warrants it or I've p,anned an obs based on a concern, I also complete a summative assessment twice a year.
Planned activities are simple, so planned vists and also if baby loves mummies keys I might plan to have the treasure basket out next day etc