PDA

View Full Version : Medication policy for older children

sarah707
20-07-2012, 02:58 PM
It is a Childcare Register requirement to have a written medication policy and procedures which is shared with parents and which details how you manage medication in the provision.

However, I know a lot of childminders (and parents) who, keen to encourage older children to be independent and take control of their own medication needs, forget their own rules and let children self administer.

This is a very sad story which should be used to remind us all why our medication policy and procedures must be followed every single time medication is administered regardless of the age and apparent maturity of the child -

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/17/schoolgirl-chelsie-toms-hallucinates-travel-pill-overdose_n_1678613.html?1342516211

cathtee
20-07-2012, 03:33 PM
that's terrible:panic:, I personally would have only sent one tablet for this very reason. Hope the lo got better quick

Mouse
20-07-2012, 04:26 PM
That's frightening.

rickysmiths
20-07-2012, 04:27 PM
It is a Childcare Register requirement to have a written medication policy and procedures which is shared with parents and which details how you manage medication in the provision.

However, I know a lot of childminders (and parents) who, keen to encourage older children to be independent and take control of their own medication needs, forget their own rules and let children self administer.

This is a very sad story which should be used to remind us all why our medication policy and procedures must be followed every single time medication is administered regardless of the age and apparent maturity of the child -

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/17/schoolgirl-chelsie-toms-hallucinates-travel-pill-overdose_n_1678613.html?1342516211

But Sarah this child is under 8yr so would be covered on the Early Years Register for us. My goodness that Teacher should be disciplined for Gross Missconduct.

Donkey
20-07-2012, 04:42 PM
sorry RS

you are wrong

early years register covers from birth to the end of early years which is the august following the childs 5th birthday

the child would have been under the childcare register

rickysmiths
20-07-2012, 08:44 PM
sorry RS

you are wrong

early years register covers from birth to the end of early years which is the august following the childs 5th birthday

the child would have been under the childcare register

Yes sorry you are right for us.

As the child was at school neither of these apply anyway.

sarah707
20-07-2012, 09:02 PM
As the child was at school neither of these apply anyway.

I was using it as an example Ricky of what happens when people try to give children too much responsibility and forget that they are still very young children. :(

I wasn't saying it applied directly to childminders.

angeldelight
20-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Terrible poor little girl

Angel xx

Bridey
21-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Open mouthed at the sheer stupidity of the teacher, that little girl could have died :eek: