PDA

View Full Version : DD isn't bothered for now, but....

Tealady
19-07-2012, 01:51 PM
DD goes to a rather large primary school. In each year group they have two classes.

In foundation they put the oldest half in one class and then the youngest in the other. Moving in to Year 1 they jumbled them up (keeping friendship groups together the best they could) and split them in two. Moving in to Year 2 they are normally kept in the same class groups, they just move room and have a different teacher.

However with DD's year her class have had more than there fair share of "disruptive" children. So much so that some parents have complained and asked something be done. So they have decided to jumble them all up and divide in two again.

DD is thankfully with her best friend but she has not been put with any of her wider circle. Her wider circle is a lovely bunch of children, mixed gender and she works with them in class and plays in and out of school quite a lot. So far most of the children in her new class don't even seem to be on her radar.

DD doesn't seem that bothered as she is with her best friend and that was what she was anxious about. There is another girl who she is friend with who she was with in foundation but not this year so they are not as close, but she is back with DD this year.

I don't know if I should be thinking that this is good as it will give her a chance to get to know other children or be concerened that she will be "stuck" if her friend is off school or they have a minor spat as six year olds can do from time to time. Half of me feels perhaps I should make my concerns felt at the school, the other half of me thinks we should just suck it and see.

mama2three
19-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I would go with suck it and see! She can still see her friends at breaks and lunch , and out of school if you encourage her to. Sounds like the school is trying to divide and conquer the unruly ones - to the benefit of everyone hopefully. My ds is just 6 and in a small school where there are 2 school years to a class. His 'best friends' are all going up , he isnt. Im confident that within a week or 2 he will have forged new friendships , and he still gets to see the others at breaks etc.

Mouse
19-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Having had 5 children go through school and having gone through all the upheaval of them having their classes mixed up I would say...don't worry about it!

We tend to be concerned about it more than the children are. They have a habit of going with the flow & adapting to the changes. We're the ones left worrying :laughing:

rickysmiths
19-07-2012, 03:59 PM
My two started off in a three form entry Primary and they mixed up most years. It never bothered the children. They are much more resilient than we give them credit for.

PixiePetal
19-07-2012, 04:05 PM
exactly the same happened at my kids school when DS was that age. The school was the same size, but reception children were mixed ages too (when the half day kids went home at lunch the rest got together in one class in the first term) It worked out fine, they really needed to split some of the disruptive ones and it actually enabled DS to get on better. :thumbsup:

He only had 1 friend in with him but soon made lots more as the class was more settled.

I would go with it and see - life is full of change and real friends will meet at break and have play dates too :thumbsup:

AliceK
20-07-2012, 09:40 AM
At my DS's primary school they mix them up every year. It bothered me at first and I worried about him but he has never been bothered and even this year his best friend who he has been with ever since reception is going to a different class but he is OK with it, she however is not apparently :(.

It's true, we worry more than they do :rolleyes:

xxxx

caz3007
20-07-2012, 09:45 AM
It happens in our primary and DS has been with his two friends since reception, they are going into year 5. One of his friends has been split from him and the other one, but they have all decided it will be fine cos they can see each other at break times.

Once they go to High school they dont take into consideration friendship groups, so it just prepares them for that.