PDA

View Full Version : teachers gifts

Helen Dempster
19-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi all - hope the sun's shining where you are, it is here (some very dodgy looking black clouds too though!) Probably waiting for school run time.... :angry:

Anyway, what I came on for was to ask those of you who have school age children, what on earth do you buy for their teachers? I don't want to go mad and spend a fortune, but my DS has 3 in his class. To be honest, this year (Yr1) the main teacher hasn't been very approachable/friendly and very negative most of the time (but he seems to love her, as do all the kids). I've just got some chocs, a pretty paperweight, some Art Deco lavender pouches and book marks with 'Teacher' on.

I hear about some parents buying spa days or expensive perfumes etc....(1) I can't afford that and (2) surely it's the thoughful 'token' gifts that it's supposed to be all about?

singlewiththree
19-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I bought plain mugs from crafty crocs and painted them with the teachers name and something personal. Like my DD's TA is also the first aider so put a red cross and plasters on it painted on of course! etc

BucksCM
19-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Helen, I think you are over thinking it!:D
What you have got sounds just right to me and is the sort of thing i would do.:D (especially as you weren't overly pleased with the way the teacher was through the year!)
Just pity the poor mums who need to compete with each other in the present giving and relax in the knowledge that the money you didn't spend can now go towards a lovely bottle of wine for you for the weekend!!:laughing::thumbsup:

loocyloo
19-07-2012, 01:26 PM
my children have made cards for their teachers and a keyring each - they have either sewn a little felt shape, or strung some beads on thread to make dangly things that hang from the key ring.

dd took in some flowers she had picked in the garden the other week and they will take in some more flowers tomorrow for the music teacher ( who seems to somehow see one or other ( or both! ) of my children everyday :D )

jumping j
19-07-2012, 01:27 PM
when I was a teacher I was more than happy to get a bottle and some chocs. The things I still have are magnets saying thank you teacher and a few mugs that haven't got broken over the years
To be honest I don't use smellies, they irritate me so anything like that used to get reused at christmas:blush:

samb
19-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Mine have also done a crafty crocodiles item - the wooden hanging note pad thingy... I have pens that work on wood so they decorated them and varnished. It cost about 79p each or something like that... last year my dd did coasters for the ta's and a pencil pot for the teacher.

Pipsqueak
19-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't 'do' pressies for the teachers.
if the kids want to make a card thats fine

Roseolivia
19-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Rose has 3 teachers in Foundation Stage so we bought a rose plant (£2 each) and we made 4 cupcakes for each of them.

FussyElmo
19-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Making a large box of cupcakes for the teacher and assistants to share - three boxes and its more than enough :thumbsup:

QualityCare
19-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I used to buy a book for the classroom at the end of the year something that suited the teaching of that teacher and at Christmas the teachers had an individual present we planted hyacinths in pots that the children had decorated themselves when we gave them they would be a few days from coming out in flower, each teacher or assistant in the class was given one.

Toothfairy
19-07-2012, 04:22 PM
This year I have had some hearts made.
They are solid oak hearts and laminated onto the top is a road map of the school and surrounded area.
They look fantastic and were only £4.50 each!!!

md0u0131
19-07-2012, 04:45 PM
My husband teaches year 5 and he has come home today with.....
- a 4-pack of lager
- a bottle of whiskey
- a bottle of gin
- 2 bottles of cider
- 8 bottles of wine
- 2 pot plants
- 4 boxes of chocolates
- a bookmark thing
- a special teacher ornament
- a pen
- a motorbike picture

and a ridiculous number of cards. He brought all this home on his motorbike - he looked like he'd robbed an off-licence on the way home!

Pipsqueak
19-07-2012, 04:50 PM
My husband teaches year 5 and he has come home today with.....
- a 4-pack of lager
- a bottle of whiskey
- a bottle of gin
- 2 bottles of cider
- 8 bottles of wine
- 2 pot plants
- 4 boxes of chocolates
- a bookmark thing
- a special teacher ornament
- a pen
- a motorbike picture

and a ridiculous number of cards. He brought all this home on his motorbike - he looked like he'd robbed an off-licence on the way home!

and they wonder why there is an alcohol problem within teaching :laughing::laughing:

(no idea if there is any truth in that but I thought it was funny:D)

Joda
19-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm afraid I haven't bothered this year. Neither of DS' teachers have been very good this year to be honest and DS' have not progressed that much. DS2 has been quite unhappy in his class and has not received a lot of support from his teacher. I asked DS' if they wanted to send a card or buy a present and both of them said definitely not.

This is the first year that I haven't bought gifts for the teacher but I just don't feel that the teachers this year have 'earned' a leaving gift. (Oooh, I sound really mean don't I!!)

mrs robbie williams
19-07-2012, 05:55 PM
ds is taking in a card each for teacher and ta and box of roses each :D

jumping j
19-07-2012, 06:18 PM
and they wonder why there is an alcohol problem within teaching :laughing::laughing:

(no idea if there is any truth in that but I thought it was funny:D)

It is true!!!! Aparently a lot of teachers have issues with alcohol, or so I was told in my first year of teaching :laughing:

Dragonfly
19-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Toothfairy they sound lovely (the solid oak hearts) what a lovely idea:)

~Grasshopper~
19-07-2012, 06:51 PM
im sat here feeling mean but i havent got gifts either.

ds1 has made a card for his teacher and ta. i dont feel they deserve a gift to be honest though, they were rubbish when he was being bullied.

x

karensmart4
19-07-2012, 07:09 PM
My grandaughter hasn't been too pleased with her teacher this year, she say's she's always moody and moaning :(

So she took in some cupcakes (made by good ole me) for the office staff and a bottle of wine for the head.... it's her last day at infants tomorrow and we felt we would like to take something and think they don't get recognised for all their hard work :thumbsup:

caz3007
19-07-2012, 09:43 PM
My son made cards and we took in Feror Roche for his teachers and only small ones, money is pretty tight and I know they get lots of things, so its only a token

My friends hubby worked at a secondary school and he had helped a lot of children acheive their GCSE's in Art and when they finished school they all clubbed together to buy him a fishing rod (the checked with another teacher what he would like). He said he was so chuffed cos it had been well thought out and he was nearly in tears

JumpingJacks
20-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Cheated and bought a box of beautiful cupcakes from a friend for my daughters nursery teachers. Would normally make them myself but stupidly busy ATM! Am so very tempted to not send the cakes though, they are stunning!

miss mopple
20-07-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't do gifts either and refuse to feel guilty about it. I make them a personal card and thats it

AliceK
20-07-2012, 09:44 AM
We've bought Diaries, notepads and sparkly pens for DS and DD's teachers and assistants. Both my children have had lovely teachers and TA's this past year (actually as most years tbh)

xxx

LauraS
20-07-2012, 10:06 AM
We sent wine, really good red wine. We bought a bottle for each teacher and a bottle for us to test. Can't be seen giving shoddy wine, can we :D