PDA

View Full Version : When to move to booster seat...

EmmaReed84
17-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok so I know the law... I am talking when do you feel comfortable in changing from a 5 point harness car seat to a high back booster seat?

It says from 15kg and DS is actually 15kg and will be 4 in Nov... I am more than happy for him to remain in the 5 point harness seat for as long as he will fit in the seat... however in emergencies, short trips, other peoples car etc... would you be happy for a HB booster seat?

Also if you had 3 5 point harness in your car and 2 HB boosters, would you offer a lift to someone who would need the 5 point harness and have your son use the booster?

mrs_scottydog
17-07-2012, 08:54 PM
We've just moved our DS into a high back booster seat. He was getting too big for his seat and will be 4 in December. We also needed to move DD into the next size of seat but didn't want to have to buy another 5 point harness seat for just a few months.
Since we decided to move him onto using a high back booster seat I guess for all your questions I'd have to answer I'm happy for him to use it. Hx

Monkey26
17-07-2012, 09:44 PM
You need to find out what the maximum weight your harnessed seat can take... Many can only take up to 18kg...

We had to a move a mindee up to a high back at 2 :eek: and both mum and I ummmed and aaared for weeks (could see she was getting uncomfortable in harnessed seat and at last weigh was 17.5kg) before I eventually rang Britax who put it to us like this "if the child weighs more than the maximum the harness can take and you have a high speed collision on the motorway the carseat will be totally ineffective as their weight will break through the harness"... Yep both mum and I moved said child up to a high back that afternoon!! Xx

Helen79
17-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a 2 year old in a high backed booster too as she's too heavy to use the 5 point harness now.

ds is still uses the harness though and he's 4 1/2 and 15kgs. If we're getting a lift than I'm happy for him to use the high backed booster.

The thing to remember is to weigh them with clothes, coat and shoes on as that's the weight that goes into the carseat. I normally weigh ds as he gets out of the bath so his weight for the carseat is probably wrong now.

sarak31
18-07-2012, 05:28 AM
I think it is primarily a weight thing but it is also a height thing. If their head is above the back of the seat then it is dangerous. The seats are designed to close around them, especially on a side impact collision, so if their head is above the back of the seat it can be v dangerous. For some children who are tall and v slim then they may hit the height aspect of it before the weight.

EmmaReed84
18-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I get so paranoid when it comes to car seats. I once watched a YouTube video of a child who sadly died in a car crash, and the talked about HB booster compared with 5 point harness seats and I believe Britax do a 5 point harness up to about 9 years old which is meant to be so much safer.

I sat and cried when watching the video and looked straight in to getting this car seat but they are SO expensive I just can't afford it... I know a childs safety is priceless, but we still need to eat.

Also another thing... all the time he is in the 5 point harness he is still my baby... seeing him in a booster may just make me cry lol... I am such a saddo...

Thank you for your replies though, on a serious note, I do think it may be time to look at moving him up... as sad as it is.