PDA

View Full Version : Help! Use of Technology

Jiorjiina
17-07-2012, 01:11 PM
According to his mum, my 13 mo mindee can use (and really likes using) an ipad and phone. He recently changed her ringtone to his preferred tune.

I don't doubt her for a moment, because I've watched him try swiping his finger across the screen of my phone a couple of times to try activating it. (He gave me the most hilarious look of pity and incredulity when I told/showed him he had to press a button!)

He has now worked out how to open it and find the camera and video. He enjoys looking at my pictures, and can start a video I have of him playing.

As of this morning, he can also use the remote control to turn the tv on and turn the volume up when I trying to change another mindees nappy. He has yet to master channel changing, but at this rate it's only a matter of time.

Am I being too enthusiastic to record this as being right at the top end of the Technology aspect of Understanding the World? Where on earth do I take it from here?!

(He only started a few weeks ago, so I've started his observations using the new development matters stuff, rather than the old.)

Bridey
17-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm too full of cold and the miseries to give you a sensible answer but ... I once minded a child like this.

Just make sure your car and door keys are out of reach, that's all I'm saying!

(Thankfully this little incident happened at his parents house, not mine!)

rickysmiths
17-07-2012, 03:33 PM
For a start no one EVER plays with my phone I don't care how cleaver they are.

Lots of linking and yes I would and I would note in his LJ what the parents have told you.

I agree with Bridey though all controllers, gadgets, keys, phones etc well out of reach from now on. I never let my children play with them and the mindees don't either.

I hate the way parents give children their keys to play with. One of my parents got their comeupence though. I got a desperate phone call at 8.30am one morning, mindee should have been with me at 8am. She had been given keys to play with when they got home and Dad couldn't find them in the morning :rolleyes: They arrived at 9.30am he eventually found them down the back of his bedside table. :laughing::laughing: He never let the child play with them again!

Ripeberry
17-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Well my two sibling mindees fight over mum's keys when she arrives to collect now one has to hold the keys and the other puts them in the ignition. At least she's banned them from actually starting the car. They used to allow the older one to do this but he is very clever and he was starting the car, then getting off the seat, using both feet to push the clutch and trying to move the gearstick.
His lack of body strength stops him driving away!
But mum has almost lost keys down the drain a few times. She now parks a bit further down the road to try and avoid this :rolleyes:
But 13 months old? Never will allow any of my mindees or even my own kids to play with my phone :panic:

funemnx
17-07-2012, 05:04 PM
How clever for 13m!! He'll be hacking into NASA before you know it! :laughing:

I'll bet he'll love playing with a v tech type childrens computer or maybe it'll be too childish for him :thumbsup:

Jiorjiina
17-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't usually let him play with my phone (it's usually in my pocket). This was more by way of a test to see if he actually understood what he was doing. Which he obviously does!

I don't drive so no car keys, and the house keys are always out of his reach on a hook anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

Bridey
18-07-2012, 09:25 AM
That's good. The parents I worked for lost their 2 year old one day. They found him outside the house, sat in the car, putting the key in the ignition!!! :eek:

They also came back from a fortnight's holiday to find the neighbours had broken into their house to switch off their stereo that the 2yr old had programmed to come on at 3am every morning, full blast!! :laughing:

Ripeberry
18-07-2012, 10:01 AM
That's good. The parents I worked for lost their 2 year old one day. They found him outside the house, sat in the car, putting the key in the ignition!!! :eek:

They also came back from a fortnight's holiday to find the neighbours had broken into their house to switch off their stereo that the 2yr old had programmed to come on at 3am every morning, full blast!! :laughing:

That is hillarious! :laughing::clapping:

Katiekoo
18-07-2012, 12:14 PM
It's brilliant, these children will grow up with technology that we've had to grapple with as adults! As each new bit of tech comes out they will adapt and develop. Already the schools computer with a mouse is looking outdated! My littlies have always played with our family ipad (fully supervised and in a protective case of course) they love it!
Keys as a toy though - a pet hate of mine, for one thing it's dangerous (have you ever seen that xray of a face with keys embedded in the skull!!! :eek:).
Play things are for playing, and yes I'd argue that the ipad can be a play thing :D

rickysmiths
18-07-2012, 02:38 PM

How funny I wonder if my 17yr old could do that when we are away. Get back at the neighbours who had a very loud party until 4am and then started again at 7am :angry:

blue bear
18-07-2012, 05:40 PM
According to his mum, my 13 mo mindee can use (and really likes using) an ipad and phone. He recently changed her ringtone to his preferred tune.

I don't doubt her for a moment, because I've watched him try swiping his finger across the screen of my phone a couple of times to try activating it. (He gave me the most hilarious look of pity and incredulity when I told/showed him he had to press a button!)

He has now worked out how to open it and find the camera and video. He enjoys looking at my pictures, and can start a video I have of him playing.

As of this morning, he can also use the remote control to turn the tv on and turn the volume up when I trying to change another mindees nappy. He has yet to master channel changing, but at this rate it's only a matter of time.

Am I being too enthusiastic to record this as being right at the top end of the Technology aspect of Understanding the World? Where on earth do I take it from here?!

(He only started a few weeks ago, so I've started his observations using the new development matters stuff, rather than the old.)

Uw technology
Could be
Seeks to acquire basic skills in turning on and operating some ict equipment 22-36 months, this would probably what I would put it under but if you don't think that quite fits it could be:
Knows how to operate simple equipment e.g. Turns on cd player and uses remote control. 30-50 months.

Look at enabling environments for next steps. It suggests things like offering a camera, letting children photocopy their own artwork, give them karaoke machine es to play with and pressing pelican crossing buttons.