PDA

View Full Version : How can I compete with the nurseries?

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 12:50 PM
When i started my business 6 months ago i was 1 of 3 cm's In my town so I thought brilliant not too much competition, the nurseries around where also not very flexible and were costly. However 6 months on there Is still not anymore cm's but a nursery has just doubled in sized so can take on more children they have started offering flexible time, only charge £3 per hour and you can also book your space 3 months at a time so if for example you knew that you were going to be in August you can book this off and therefor not have to pay for the two weeks.
How are they managing this and how can I compete without going out of business myself. I have had 6 parents come to me in the last month and have lost out to every single one due to this nursery. I have asked for feedback which was so positive but th decision just came down to the cost.

Even this morning one of my parents has just given me notice as she is too now putting her child into this nursery due to th flexible holidays.

I am starting to panic :panic:

sarak31
16-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh no that's not good! I guess think about how you are selling yourself - a home environment has so many plus points above a nursery. Think about the things you can do that nursery's can't, outings, personalised care, lots of lovely photos etc. and Market yourself along those lines.

If that isnt working and you really want to keep your business going I guess at the end of the day, although it would kill me to do this, you might just have to lower your fees to under cut them.

zippy
16-07-2012, 01:02 PM
The only way you can compete is in quality, do some research on home childcare being more preferable and about how parents can be so much more involve in care with a childminder, look at what you do differently, if you don't do much differently change it. Organic food maybe, natural play as a main focus. Hope it works, don't go down the price route though, just not worth it.

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I went to their open day on Saturday and they gave me leaflets to take away - they have a monthly planner and it shows all of the things they do with the children- including trips out to pretty much where I go.

I could possibly drop my price and survive but I couldn't do the holiday no pay as I would really not get enough money- the parent I'm losing has is in the RAF and has 40 days a year holiday and likes to use every single day of it

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 01:09 PM
The only way you can compete is in quality, do some research on home childcare being more preferable and about how parents can be so much more involve in care with a childminder, look at what you do differently, if you don't do much differently change it. Organic food maybe, natural play as a main focus. Hope it works, don't go down the price route though, just not worth it.

I think I will do that as I can't afford to drop my price. I am also in the process of becoming accredited so hoping this will be a good selling point too.

loocyloo
16-07-2012, 01:10 PM
focus on the small numbers of children in your care and the benefits for the child of having ONE adult, rather than having several around, all of whom might 'miss' what a child is doing, as even with keyworkers, not all keyworkers can work all the hours a nursery maybe open.

how do they manage trips out? do they truly do all of these things with all the children?

can you offer more flexible hours? i don't mean 'free holiday places' but different start/finish times? what will happen when children start school? will they be able to do school runs/school inset days/holidays?

good luck xxx

zippy
16-07-2012, 01:13 PM
If you go down the natural play route take a look at a new Facebook group called sensory play ideas, theres a load of stuff on there that might inspire, and new mums especially like the natural play ideas. I have loads of stuff on computer edible paint etc so if you need anything just send us a pm.

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 01:20 PM
focus on the small numbers of children in your care and the benefits for the child of having ONE adult, rather than having several around, all of whom might 'miss' what a child is doing, as even with keyworkers, not all keyworkers can work all the hours a nursery maybe open.

how do they manage trips out? do they truly do all of these things with all the children?

can you offer more flexible hours? i don't mean 'free holiday places' but different start/finish times? what will happen when children start school? will they be able to do school runs/school inset days/holidays?

good luck xxx

I work from 6.30 am to 6.30pm as it is and often work till 8 pm if mum wants to go to the gym which I know the nursery will not offer. I am not sure if they will actually do these trips as its going to start as of September so we will see.

I am going to have to think about how I can get around the holiday fees to suit me and the parent. I don't charge for my holidays although have not taken a day off since I started and have not got anything planned. But maybe I could offer the first 2 weeks no charge then full fee there after for the parents holiday?

The nursery does before and after school club and runs to the local school as its part of the school anyways.

The one thing I can offer that's better for school age children is more flexible hours for before and after school as at present it's 7.45 am to 6 pm so maybe I can start to market myself as an after school club a bit more which is something I have not done before as my little girl is only 1 and didn't really want to start school runs if I didn't have to.

I want this to work and it has to work so will just try harder.

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 01:21 PM
If you go down the natural play route take a look at a new Facebook group called sensory play ideas, theres a load of stuff on there that might inspire, and new mums especially like the natural play ideas. I have loads of stuff on computer edible paint etc so if you need anything just send us a pm.

Thank you zippy- I will look into this and will le you know :thumbsup:

rachelle
16-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I compete by offering the flexible holidays. I give parents 4 weeks pro rata fee free holiday across a year. It's the only way I could get initial business with the subsidised nurseries where I live.

oxfordshirecm
16-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I compete by offering the flexible holidays. I give parents 4 weeks pro rata fee free holiday across a year. It's the only way I could get initial business with the subsidised nurseries where I live.

"4weeks pro rats fee free holiday"? Sorry being blonde- does that mean you offer 4 weeks holiday for free to the parents?