PDA

View Full Version : Electronic learning journey - blog

zippy
14-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Does anyone use a private blog system to do learning journeys, something I am considering but have never done a blog before so not entirely sure of what I'm doin or if there are any putfalls.

Can you email pages from blog to parents?

Will I be able to tell if parents are logging on?

Can parents leave comments?

I am thinking of doing it through wordpress, as I can then manage from iphone, does anyone know of any pitfalls again.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully answering lol

VeggieSausage
14-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I use ********* for online paperwork and daily diaries, parents have a login and log in their end whenever they want, sign policies, sign register, view invoices, make comment sin diary....not sure a blog as it is public....

Katiekoo
14-07-2012, 06:15 PM
I use a blog 'parents pages' - it has a password for parents to see any posts containing photos of children. I haven't worked out how to tell which parents have viewed the site when but I'm sure it's possible. I don't use it as a LJ, it's just to let parents see what the littlies get up to. I do print pages off and cut out the photos for their files sometimes.

zippy
14-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I can make the blog completely private between the parent and me and password protect it so that won't be an issue. I have tried a few trials of the online ones, can anyone name any other ones apart from baby days. Everyone seems to use baby days for everything except learning journals so I'm presuming that particular feature isn't very good, please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to investigate all options before deciding. I also really want to update immedietly whereever I am, so having an iphone/ipod feature is very important to me too. Don't really like sitting at the laptop.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Have a look at toucan.co.uk or com as you can have 2 children free and £16 per annum covers the whole year with unlimited children. it also has lots of ideas and activities

I found out about this during the week and am looking at it too.

moggy
14-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I use Blogger, it is free and secure using Google password. Parents can leave comments and be emailed with new posts.

zippy
14-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for replies, will look into toucan and blogger and might sign up to give baby days a trial, can I do baby days from iPhone do you know, don't really want to mess about transferring pics to pc etc

zippy
15-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Had a look at toucan, definetly looks like one to keep an eye on in the future, lady in charge has allowed me to be a premium member for a week to trial it, looks like you cans link obs slightly but not filly eg you can link to psed, making relationships but no further unless I'm missing something, and it's more like a daily diary than learning journal, It would be nice if you could choose a week or month view instead of just day, she did tell me that once 2012 eyfs is in they will be ploughing on with developing though so defienetly one to keep an eye on. Anyone else got any other ideas?

zippy
16-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Anyone else aware of any other similar systems that offer same sort of thing. The time saving oppotunities an electronic system seems to offer are fantastic.

Jods
20-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Right I have my website with a private password encrypted parents page - which inturn gives access to my blog spot - daily diary, I also text parents through the day - I dont want to use ******** etc - so to hijack this post (sorry Zippy) but it might help you in what you are looking for, I now want an electronic LJ, not sure if I just do it on the PC and add it as files to the parents page on the website, or to my blog, or do a seperate blog for the LJ's and EYFS, I also want an online attendance thingy for parents to electronically sign, mmmmmmmmmm x so far its cost me £19 for 2 years so its cheaper but not the easiet (hope this makes sense!!)

help :idea:

blue bear
28-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Have you looked at the 2 simples app on iPhone, this I searched eyfs in apps and found it

mum24
28-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I have started using 2simple eyfs record keeping, and finding it works really well.
Password protected, the parents like it too, and I use it to forward plan as well. It all takes just a few minutes.
Childminders can have up to 5 records at a time, just delete the ones you have used (you keep an emailed or printed copy) and then you can have another 5.
After trialing it I am now using the full paid version, £25.00 for a year.
It is worth having a look at. They will have the revised eyfs version ready to go in September too.