PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Drugs policy

Ripeberry
14-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm updating all my policies and I was thinking if I could mention about parents coming to collect under the influence. Could I say in this policy that I will not release to parents unless an emergency contact is called? Or would this come under the 'Safeguarding Policy' which is getting enormous now.
What do you do? :)

blue bear
14-07-2012, 12:13 PM
On my safeguarding course last week (run by a former policeman) we were told we could not stop someone with parental responsibility taking a child from us whether they were drunk or not. We should call the police when they have left if concerned.

Ripeberry
14-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Thinking about it yes. So I could just say that the police will be called if I have just concern that the parent is under the influence and is attempting to drive off causing a 'Safeguarding' issue?

sarah707
14-07-2012, 08:08 PM
We were given different advice by the Cheshire East safeguarding children board.

We were told to keep the child because we have a duty of care to ensure their safety.

We should then ring other contacts and ask them to collect.

Hth

miffy
15-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Common sense would surely say that you would not allow a child to be picked up by a parent who was clearly under the influence of drink or drugs but how far could you take it? Would you physically try and stop a parent from taking their child? In those circumstances I think you would have to call the police.

Miffy xx