PDA

View Full Version : Visitors book

child_friendly
12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a visitors book, do I need to get the visitor to sign it? At the moment I have just been filling in their name, company, time in and time out

EmmaReed84
12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I did have a visitors book, but scrapped it. No one is left unattended with the children so didn't see the point really.

Iis your choice to have one, so you kind of set the rules on how your visitor book works.

May be wrong though, so clarification would be good lol

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I do not have one but am thinking of one.

I would do a bit as in schools, with date, name, why they're here, and hours they come and leave.

But I do not think it is really necessary iykwim. I wouldn't do it if it was going to be a bother.

I personally like the idea, and I think it looks professional, and nice to have.

rickysmiths
12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't have one.

We do not need one.

If I have a visitor in my home when I am minding I know who they are and they never have access alone to any of the minded children so there is no risk whatsoever to the children.

I consider that this is my home and not an institution and I would find it odd to ask my Dad or MIL or a friend to 'sign' in.

If there is an emergency and we have to get out there would only be one or two at the most and they would be coming out with me and the children.

I always know exactly who is in my home at any time.

I think it is an unnecessary piece of paperwork that makes no difference to the service you offer.

greenfields
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
My inspector told me I needed a visitors book. I got one cheap from eBay, and I'd get the visitor to sign. This is what schools do.

EmmaReed84
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
RS - Before I read your post I knew I read read "this is my home, not an institution" :laughing: It is your catch phrases lol

TBH it was you actually saying what you have done in past threads that has made me re-evaluate just how much I was doing, and just how much I didn't even need...

So I think now is a good a tome as any to say... CHEERS! xx:thumbsup:

loocyloo
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
i have a visitors book, if i remember i ask people to sign, if not i just write the details in. (name, date, reason for visit, time in & out ( & signature! )

i find it most useful for looking to see when, for example, the washing machine repair man last came, or when prospective parents came to visit.

mine lives on the table by the front door, along with the childrens attendence book. i don't find it any bother to do. it is just a pretty book with lined pages that i have drawn some columns in!

Smiley
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
It is not a mandatory requirement to have a visitors book, as others have mentioned we are not a nursery and know who is in our home at any given time.
When I was inspected in February the inspector asked to see my register and that was fine, she then asked if I had a visitors book, no I don't and I explained why. She was more than happy with my safeguarding procedures :)

rickysmiths
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
My inspector told me I needed a visitors book. I got one cheap from eBay, and I'd get the visitor to sign. This is what schools do.

No your inspector was wrong. You do not need to have one and you are NOT a school. Schools and other Institutions have to have a Visitors book because they may have a number of visitors on site at any one time and not all the staff would know who or where they were.

If there were an emergency evacuation the visitors book would be taken out and all visitors would have to be accounted for the same way as the staff and children. You would be talking hundreds of people even in a small one form entry school. The same would be with people visiting a nursery.

Indeed if you have that many people visiting who you don't now have a visitors book.

I work in my home and don't see any need for a visitors book at all.:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
RS - Before I read your post I knew I read read "this is my home, not an institution" :laughing: It is your catch phrases lol

TBH it was you actually saying what you have done in past threads that has made me re-evaluate just how much I was doing, and just how much I didn't even need...

So I think now is a good a tome as any to say... CHEERS! xx:thumbsup:

Yes it is kinda. When I see suggestions for more paperwork I always think of that phrase before I do anything. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
It is not a mandatory requirement to have a visitors book, as others have mentioned we are not a nursery and know who is in our home at any given time.
When I was inspected in February the inspector asked to see my register and that was fine, she then asked if I had a visitors book, no I don't and I explained why. She was more than happy with my safeguarding procedures :)

Exactly. When I was inspected last Sept the inspector didn't even ask if I had one and I got Outstanding in all areas of Keeping the children safe and Safeguarding.

rickysmiths
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
i have a visitors book, if i remember i ask people to sign, if not i just write the details in. (name, date, reason for visit, time in & out ( & signature! )

i find it most useful for looking to see when, for example, the washing machine repair man last came, or when prospective parents came to visit.

mine lives on the table by the front door, along with the childrens attendence book. i don't find it any bother to do. it is just a pretty book with lined pages that i have drawn some columns in!

That's fine but I keep that kind of info on my calender or in my diary. Prospective parents have an info sheet from when they first phone me and any appointments are recorded on that sheet which if they use me then goes in their file. The other sheet are kept in my prospective parents file. Though I never have new parents to visit when I am minding either.

greenfields
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
As a teacher myself, I thought the visitors book was also for safeguarding issues, not just fire emergencies.
I'm in Wales and we have to keep a record of visitors, I was told specifically to get a visitors book but I don't think that was necessary. Still, I got a visitors book because I wasn't unhappy about getting one. It'll be rarely used as I rarely get visitors when minding, I'm out a lot myself.

miffy
12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I have a visitor's book (well an A4 sheet that I made myself) - I don't get visitor's to sign it, I sign them in and out. It's not mandatory though.

Miffy xx