PDA

View Full Version : date of termination of contract in contract - confused! Help please!!

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Hello, would need a bit of insight please!

I have some parents who want to renew contract but only until end of December, as they might be moving end of Dec.

So can I possibly specify in the contract, that it will terminate on the 31st and if they or I want to terminate it before, the 4 months notice apply?

Or do they (or i for that matter) have to give me notice in Nov to actually make it legal that we stop end of Dec? Or if contract specifies end is Dec, then no need for end of Dec notice?:cool:

I would really want the contract to end in December without having to give notice in Nov, hence my question...

Any help would be much appriciated! :)

BuggsieMoo
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Hello, would need a bit of insight please!

I have some parents who want to renew contract but only until end of December, as they might be moving end of Dec.

So can I possibly specify in the contract, that it will terminate on the 31st and if they or I want to terminate it before, the 4 months notice apply?

Or do they (or i for that matter) have to give me notice in Nov to actually make it legal that we stop end of Dec? Or if contract specifies end is Dec, then no need for end of Dec notice?:cool:

I would really want the contract to end in December without having to give notice in Nov, hence my question...

Any help would be much appriciated! :)

Thats a long notice period, do you mean 4 weeks?

What happens if you put an end date in the contract based on a maybe, then they do not move? You will need to do a new contract. I personally would not put an end date, but perhaps a review date of 1st November to discuss their future requirements, if they are moving, then 4 weeks can be given then, if not and nothing changes then you have not lost anything. IYSWIM?

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi BuggsiMoo,
Yes 4 weeks not months sorry.

It is a tricky one. I actually have a feeling they are not going to move but just do not want to sign a one year contract to put a sort of pressure on me.
It is a long story, but I am reviewing contract with them tomorrow, and this previous year I had agreed on silly things such as 6 weeks notice instead of 4, 6 weeks not pay holidays, 10 hours margin of not paid or noticed time off etc etc.
Since I had agreed on this and things were fairly okay despite their taking advantage of my services, (my fault), I thought I would continue like this.

Now (after a few issues when they have been very unfair), I would like to change a few things to make it fairer on me (my subjective opinion obviously), but since review is tomorrow I can't do it as I have not given them any notice of possible changes. (:rolleyes:Yes a mess).

So would like, in end of Dec if they choose to continue with me, to change a few things (with my giving them these changes way before for them to decide). I think it will be easier if the contract is terminated instead of having to renew it. Example, change 6 weeks holidays for 4 weeks.

Sorry this is so long!

boxtree7
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I would just make sure parents are aware that you must be paid up to a certain date if they terminate contract earlier than agreed - somewhere I would put contract review date and plan it for 4 weeks prior to review date stated. I would make a note of all the changes that you want to happen.

The Juggler
12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
i would write a letter to be signed by both parties, saying that the contract now has a termination date of 31st December but that before that time the normal 4 week notice period applies.

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 10:26 AM
i would write a letter to be signed by both parties, saying that the contract now has a termination date of 31st December but that before that time the normal 4 week notice period applies.

My, great! Thank you! Sometimes I wonder where my head is :rolleyes:

BucksCM
12-07-2012, 10:55 AM
If you are doing a review tomorrow, I would implement the changes now, into the contract and give them a letter tomorrow, outlining the changes with the notice period. So new changes that you want will take effect from Monday
13th August(4 weeks notice) you will then have at least the last 41/2 months working how you want and if they do stay then write them into the new contract.If they leave, they haven't taken advantage for the next 41/2 months.
A contract review is just that, you're reviewing your contract. Having decided that certain things are not right for you.

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
If you are doing a review tomorrow, I would implement the changes now, into the contract and give them a letter tomorrow, outlining the changes with the notice period. So new changes that you want will take effect from Monday
13th August(4 weeks notice) you will then have at least the last 41/2 months working how you want and if they do stay then write them into the new contract.If they leave, they haven't taken advantage for the next 41/2 months.
A contract review is just that, you're reviewing your contract. Having decided that certain things are not right for you.

Thanks BucksCM. I might do just that. Although they would blow a fuse if I did!