PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone charge a retainer when kid at school?

sammykins
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Just wondered as a full timer since I've had from 5 months old, is going to school and needs me in the holidays, I have him til 7pm most days,

Just thought as not charging while at school only before and after, whether I should charge a retainer for those hours to keep his place secure during the day in holidays??

any comments will be appreciated.... X

funemnx
11-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't charge if they're in full time school but I do if it's playschool and they only attend a morning or afternoon session :thumbsup:

Suebb1
11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
No in all the 26 years of childminding I have never charged for a child once at school. I do however charge a slightly higher rate for hours before and after school x

ziggy
11-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I also charge a higher rate for schoolies but dont charge for school hours

md0u0131
11-07-2012, 08:47 PM
No, I only charge a retainer if it's going to effect me getting a child in their place when they are not here.

Tatjana
11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Just wondered as a full timer since I've had from 5 months old, is going to school and needs me in the holidays, I have him til 7pm most days,

Just thought as not charging while at school only before and after, whether I should charge a retainer for those hours to keep his place secure during the day in holidays??

But the space will not be used by anyone, so there is no space to retain.

sammykins
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Thankyou for ur replies, I've considered charging more for before and after school.

I suppose What I mean is that It would affect me by not being able to have a little one during the day as I couldn't then offer the new one care during hols too. but I see what you mean too by there not actually being a space, It's good to have a different perspective on things. Fingers crossed I get a term time school hours little one

Pipsqueak
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Thankyou for ur replies, I've considered charging more for before and after school.

I suppose What I mean is that It would affect me by not being able to have a little one during the day as I couldn't then offer the new one care during hols too. but I see what you mean too by there not actually being a space, It's good to have a different perspective on things. Fingers crossed I get a term time school hours little one

if the LO is a new starter and is still on 4yrs old then you need to ask Ofsted for the rising 5 clause to be put on your cert (actually anyone know if this clause will still be needed come Sept)

that will mean a 4 yr old in full time education can be classed in your 5-8yr ratios freeing up your under 5 space

sammykins
12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I have the rising 5 clause, it doesn't matter the age of the child or what cat they are in, it's the overall numbers I can have due to space in the car, I have 3 boys myself. Just want to make use of my spaces :)

Demonjill
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM

This is a toughie and I'm not really following the replies!!!:blush:

If in term time you are only charging say 8-9am and 3-5pm then in the school hols these would be the only hours this child would be entitled to....

Unless they pay a retainer for the other hours in this example 9am - 3pm during term time so that they could use 8am - 5pm in the hols...

Does this make sense?

I have a situation like this.. I don't charge the retainer as such but I did guarantee to hold the space 9-3 but charged at an enhanced hourly rate.:thumbsup:

sammykins
14-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes that's exactly what I mean! Spot on! Ok looks like I shall charge a higher fee then. I just wasn't sure what others did to keep those holiday hours safe for them. Thanks :)