PDA

View Full Version : Teaching letters and sounds

Tatia
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello, hello. I am starting to teach letters to my 2y11m mindee as of tomorrw. I am using and relying heavily on the phonics pack (Letters and Sounds) but would love to hear your good ideas, as well.

Someone one here has done a listening walk (was it Miffy or Dee?), which is Phase 1 from the pack, to teach good listening skills.

First lot of letters to work on is S, A, T and P. I've got all the normal stuff, like flash cards and Leapfrog Fridge Phonics letters. Also have colouring pages. I've thought about baking letter shaped cookies, modelling the letter in clay and creating a tactile alphabet using feathers, rice, pasta, that sort of thing. What else does everyone suggest?

crazybones
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
How weird is that! On my way to school William pointed to the floor shouting there's W for William yeah. I realised he was pointing at the grid for where you turn off the water outside the houses. Have you any idea how many there are on the way to and from school :rolleyes: Anyway that reminded me to get the pack out and start with him (Havent read it yet but it looks lovely on my shelves. So any ideas welcome here too. I have just looked at my letters on the back of the door with him and I am suprised by how many he recognises already from what he has picked up between me and the 4 1/2 year old mindee.

sarah707
10-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I do listening walks with my lot - I talked about one on my blog recently :D

Tatia
10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Sarah, that's fantastic (just read your blog).:thumbsup:

Annie_T
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
all i cn think of is items that start with the letters you looking at . . . like annie337's william did - how sweet he pointed it out.

example
A - apple, areoplane, aligator
B - balloon, boat, book
and so on hun

m ygirl has speech problems with her g and k/c so i have to get her to repeat things and hold her tounge down to try get a sound out too - not saying do it lol