PDA

View Full Version : Petrol

littlesprogs
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Do we have to keep reciepts for petrol? I know we can claim 40p per mile but do we need the reciepts to prove we have used it?

How do they know how many miles we have done?

I havent kept petrol reciepts for when i did my icp course etc.

I think i've lost reciepts for my fencing i had to have done aswell and that was hundreds :angry:

Do we need to keep copies of our bills aswell like gas/electric/broadband etc? I dont get bills for everything coz there just paid by direct debit.

vix84
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi, didnt realise there was many others expecting a baby soon! Im due on the 18th June - and am trying to sort out my accounts etc. before lo arrives!

I dont keep petrol reciepts, I didnt think we had to - on another note - with the cost of petrol going up etc. is it still 40p a mile we get? Wondered if they would change the allowance?

Im also finding the bills to be a pain - I pay Broadband by d.debit and could print off an online bill, but bt's are so confusing you couldnt make sense of it!
We do get bills for electric etc. but no sooner do I fill it in the accounts, we then get a new bill saying we owe extra etc. so I think next time I may keep them all till the end and do accounts in one big go .... or get an accountant to do it!

sarah707
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
You should be able to show receipts for all purchases over £10... but if you haven't got them, there's not a lot you can do tbh!

I would give the tax office self employment line a ring and see what they suggest...

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/contactus/start.jsp

katickles
10-06-2008, 06:32 PM
eeeeekkkkkk - I haven't saved any of my fuel receipts :eek:

FizzysFriends
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
The 40p hasn't gone up inline with petrol rises and as far as I know there is no plan too, although I will let you know if it does as I do this as part of my day job as our staff are field based so there is a lot of petrol going through our accounts so I like to keep on top of when things change.

breezy
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks FizzysFriends that would be great to know, is it likely to happen?

Tily Bud
10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for that Fizzysfriends x

FizzysFriends
10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I have no idea if it will happen but I really hope they give people loads of notice because I do thousands of pounds worth of petrol a month and the first 833 miles is at 40p and I dont want to be working it out twice in one month cos they didn't warn anyone (the VAT is different on petrol so its a pain).

katickles
10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks frizzyfriends :)

cloud9
30-06-2008, 09:01 PM
If you claim for petrol expenses you need to keep all receipts, and a record of journeys used solely for c/minding with the date, reason for journey and the amount of miles.